NICE INFO on oil filters!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He never mentions the difference in the black and orange ADBV's (does he even know that one is better than the other?)...

But he's telling us how well he thinks that they filter?

No thanks.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
He makes some assumptions in his presentation. Filtering ability really stuck out. Also is apparently not aware the ADBV on a E-Core also acts as bypass, if needed.Calls a silicone ADBV jelly like. Well I would hopw so, maybe it will seal when I want it to.
Good points! So his conclusion that ST has NO bypass is FALSE. Also, clear to me that he doesn't understand that a the "red gasket" to which he refers is a silicone adbv used in higher end oil filters. And, that soft and pliable adbv is a good thing. So it appears as though in his case it's true what happens when you a$s-u-me. Not me here though.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
This what he said about the PureONE:

Filtering ability: below average.
Antidrainback: below average
Bypass: below average

Filtering ability below average? ... well, at 98%+ I'd say that's not "below average". And just how does he conclude if a bypass valve or ADBV is above, below or just "average". Kind of squirrely I'd say.
LOL.gif

True that. Did DoctorD run spec tests on filtration, adbv function ability and bypass psi? If so where are the test procedures and results published? If not, it's totally subjective. So, like much else here, it's his opinion.
Originally Posted By: daman
That guy doesn't know [censored] does he? love these wana be "pro" oil filter analyzers.
LOL.gif

+1, on not knowing [censored] from shinola.
grin2.gif
Wannabe oil filter analyst would be an apt description of DoctorDolt, IMO.

I prefer the linked dissected filter study posted here recently. It has a nice spreadsheet which includes actual objective factual information and less editorial comment. http://www.300cforums.com/forums/general-discussion/31190-oil-filters-dissected.html

Originally Posted By: sayjac
snip
As with some of the negative posts on this board recently regarding Purolator filters, the link poster appears to have an agenda. Best he's got is his micrometer to measure can thickness and reach his conclusions.

I have to admit I misread the above and thought it was directed at me. No, I didn't post the link, nor do the study I already had bashed. Perhaps sayjac didn't realize somebody else might post a link to something negative about Purolators.

Originally Posted By: labman
So what are his ratings based on? How can he say filters never plug? He doesn't even discuss dome vs thread end bypass. Didn't see any dates, but the Purolators are still all the old assembly string models. I am neutral on the string, but its absence suggests a change in the manufacturing process under the now foreign ownership.

Canister thickness could be much more important to serious off roaders than me.

No indication of where made or foreign ownership or bypass location.

Out of date opinions with no facts to back them.

Again, what is the agenda of those that keep going on about what great filters Purolators are?

Wow, the usual knock against the PureOne is that it filters too well... and restrics flow because of it. So to give it below average filtering ability is a fail, not to mention he doesn't know Silicone is a premium ADBV material.

I'm not a fan of the Ecore, but he doesn't even have a clue how the design works.

Well if labman didn't post it I can be a little less polite...
The guy that wrote Rubicon thing that needs to do some homework.

Again, what is the agenda of those that keep going on about what great filters Purolators are?

You don't post about things you like? Most of us do. It's not an "agenda."
I havent looked into plain Purolators lately and don't have an opinion, but I still like the PureOne. No. Let me rephrase that. I like the PL20195 because that's one I cut open, did flow tests and relative visual filtration comparison with and it was a good filter as far as my limited means can show me. But I don't try to sell them to people. :2cents:

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Yes, I do have an agenda. I have long felt there was little behind the high opinion that Purolator has enjoyed here. I used to think it was an ordinary filter, but am not sure it is still equal to many others. I just want to spread the truth.

I don't understand.
That's your post over on the Rubicon Forums?

Hope it is..he needs a school'en...

Filtering Efficiency: BELOW AVERAGE?

PureONE:

25u - 100%
20u - 99.9%
15u - 99.2%
10u - 92.8%
5u - 51.3%

Below average my big hairy butt!
39.gif
happy2.gif

These seem to be better than the old ones even. Remember my post on the PureOne...golly it flowed better than the old blue one and has a better efficiency rating. All new media apparently. I'm running an oversized PureOne right now.

These seem to be better than the old ones even. Remember my post on the PureOne...golly it flowed better than the old blue one and has a better efficiency rating. All new media apparently. I'm running an oversized PureOne right now.

I'm going to put a PureONE on my Z06 in a few months and will compare my oil pressure vs. oil temp & RPM with the other filters I've used (WIX/NAPA Gold and Amsoil). This car has on-board digital oil temp and pressure data. Should be interesting to see if I loose some oil pressure or not with the PureONE when the pump is at pressure relief (currently ~65 psi on downside of filter with a NAPA Gold filter).

Yea..but not by much,lots of false information.

how could i forget your test,it was a great job.
thumbsup2.gif

Some months ago I quiried Purolator about my concerns of flow restriction, concerned that to have so high of filtering efficiencies,it must exist. Their response was that one of the reasons they pack in so much media, was to insure (by testing) that flow restrictions were NOT a concern. While I no longer have a copy of their email, I believe the response was from a "Dave", of whom I have heard mentioned on BITOG before. The specs he gave me were way over my head, but convincing.

LABMAN - One of, or perhaps THE highest filtering efficencies of all oil filters; recommended for extended OCI's (over 15k), long history of quality, cost. If Bosch owns them - so what. It's refreshing to see something that does not say "Made in China!" Their ownship is a stock market thing; Purolator is still made in my country. My agenda is sharing with others info that maybe new to some, about a FANTASIC oil filter!
banana2.gif
34.gif
20.gif

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Yeah, dude doesn't have an effing clue.
Look, how do you take the dude seriously when his first comment on the blue Pure One is "Ick", I mean really!
smirk2.gif

Then he basically ranks the Pure One dead last in the three most important (IMO) categories. Behind the likes of Fram and ST, yet presents no factual evidence to back up the conclusions.
33.gif
Good company though with Amsoil and Wix as far as the adbv, which also are silicone adbv's. And, Wix with filtering.
smirk2.gif

That's why I said DoctorDemento must have an agenda, ie. hidden motive or axe to grind. Either that or the good Doctor is just plainly a Dolt.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: SHAMUS
One of, or perhaps THE highest filtering efficencies of all oil filters; recommended for extended OCI's (over 15k), long history of quality, cost. If Bosch owns them - so what. Purolator is still made in my country. My agenda is sharing with others info that maybe new to some, about a FANTASIC oil filter!
banana2.gif
34.gif
20.gif

01.gif

blush.gif
Whoops! My response just above was meant for Labman, not you, daman. Sorry!
cheers3.gif

Yeah, I know, I misspelled "ownership." and "FANTASTIC". I got excited.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SHAMUS
Some months ago I quiried Purolator about my concerns of flow restriction, concerned that to have so high of filtering efficiencies,it must exist. Their response was that one of the reasons they pack in so much media, was to insure (by testing) that flow restrictions were NOT a concern. While I no longer have a copy of their email, I believe the response was from a "Dave", of whom I have heard mentioned on BITOG before. The specs he gave me were way over my head, but convincing.

Hmm interesting,one would think the more media the more restriction,thanks for that info.

it seems like only the smaller filters are "pack in so much media",i have cut open lots of these filters and only the small ones have more media. The larger P1's(W/string)have less.

I'll say it for the final time: Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filters are at or near the top of the heap. They are even better when I constantly find them on sale every other month for 4.50 a piece with no limit at our local Farm and Fleet store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back