ML350 and 13000 mile oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new 2006 MB ML350 and was surprised at the oil recommendations.

(1) Oil = Mobil 1 0W-40 super synth [ok ~$6/qt]
(2) Filter - fleece. Would like info on why fleece and what the +/-'s are.
(3) Change interval - 13,000 miles -- seems a bit long to me.

Any thoughts on the oil, the filter or the change interval ?

Hi,
these recommedndations are being followed rigidly by MB Dealers here in OZ. The average of all engines on "computer" prompted oil changes is about 12k miles

On consulting with a number of "people" involved many are still chanaging their oils too soon (ex computer prompt) and they now have engines out beyond 300kkms following these practices with zero issues

Live with what they say - M1 0w-40 is an excellent product (Porsche do 20k mile OCIs on the Porsce Cayenne biturbo and have done since introduction), the fleece filters are durable and reliable and well suited to their task
I would have put my Benz onto Delvac 1 but I have been suitably "convinced" by those that know that in this application M1 0w-40 is better!

Doug

Hi,
welcome.gif

I’m from Sacramento, you must be an engineer with Intel in Folsom?
wink.gif

The 13,000 mi. service interval is fine, I’d do an initial change at 3000, then again at 13000, before going with the 13000/1-yr service intervals.

The Mobil 1 0w-40 (229.5 approved, BTW you can buy it at Walmart for $5/qt), is an excellent oil and will last the full 1-yr/13K, especially since this car has an 8.5 quart sump.
shocked.gif

The fleece filter supposedly provides better filtration than conventional oil filters and costs $10-$20 (guess). There are NO aftermarket fleece filters available at this time, at least to the best of my knowledge, so it’s probably a good idea to stick with the OEM one.

BTW Doug, no more FSS system for 06+. For some reason, MB discontinued the system.
frown.gif
I personally think it was an excellent system when used properly with syn.

Hope this helps,
Mike

[ September 30, 2005, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Michael Wan ]

I just checked Speedycarparts.com for the pricing on the Fleece Cartridge Filter, and found that it was $15.70 with free shipping. Thus, an oil/filter change would only cost you $60-$65 if you can buy M1 0w-40 from Walmart at $5/qt.

I really praise Mercedes-Benz for using a superb oil filter and a robust oil for their service interval. Unlike BMW, who specs a Group III, 5w-30 A3/B3 rated syn for 15K service intervals, Mercedes-Benz really put some thought into these oil/filter requirements after the major sludge incident back in the 90s. IMO, the M1 0w-40 and Fleece Filter should last 13K/1-yr without any problems.

DO sample the oil at the third oil change, when you have 13K on the oil and 26K on the car!

Mike

Personally I would stick with the oem MB filter even if you change the oil yourself. And, stick with the M1 0w-40. A good oil.

Is this the new shape ML? If so, nice vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back