If you had to pick ONE oil as the best overall....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My survivalist camp will be well stocked with HDD 5w-30. Delvac 1/and related M1 products like TDT might share some space in the bunker with HDD.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
The question is kinda like asking, "what is the BEST detergent out there? And by the way, I mean *ONE* detergent to wash your car, your dishes, your laundry, your hair, your dog, mop the floor, clean the windows, shampoo the rug, clean the oil stains off your concrete garage floor, and your wife's antique wool sweater that belonged to her grandmother."

Given that, I'd have to pick Woolite. It might suck at cleaning the garage floor, the dishes, the car, and most everything else but at least my wife wouldn't cut parts of me off for ruining the sweater.

grin2.gif

I think I get the basic idea, though, and I agree that M1 TDT is a pretty solid all-around pick. But back to the detergent example... I've got 3 engines that really don't want Xw40 oil. Of those, 2 are flat-tappet muscle car engines, and one is a modern roller-cammed economy car engine. One size just doesn't fit all, so I use RTS, RP 5w30, and M1 5w30AFE in my lil' fleet at the moment.

The best detergent is Gain,hands down
wink.gif

Considering performance and availability? I take it that means for the vast majority of vehicles on the road?

Then any SM dino. Though I'll take the YB.

That was easy.

For me; it's Valvoline Synthetic.

The Shell Helix racing oil used in the Ferrari Enzo must be the best; it's the most expensive!

Or is it the oil used in the Bugatti Veyron? Oops, I think it's something like Mobil 1....

Originally Posted By: toyota62
Definitely it will be Fuchs Titan GT! 0w-20.

I agree, but we can't get it here.

So I'd choose Motul 300V 0W-20. I know it's a bit heavy but it will have to do until they come out with their 0W-10.

I've been a religious synthetic user since 1994, but right now I'm really enjoying this dose of Castrol GTX 10W30 in my Volvo.

Very nice.

An oil that would work in everything and cause no engine problems would be most synthetic HDEOs. Rotella-T 5W-40 would be my choice.

As for a 30 weight oil, I think Pennzoil Platinum shows exceptional results every single time it is used. Especially how long it can go for the price. 10k miles seems to be nothing stressful on it in most every UOA.

Originally Posted By: buster
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.asp

I would have to go with M1 TDT 5w40.

I was looking at OVERK1LL's UOA and then looked at the PDS for M1 TDT. All things considered (performance & availability), M1 TDT is the best oil out there IMO.

I would not hesitate to use this oil in a high performance gas engine either. I know it's holding up very well in many of the VW engines too. All things considered, I'm not sure this oil can be beat. Rotella 5w40 & SSO would be up there also.

Buster:

Please report to the nearest woodshed for your richly deserved spanking.

Seriously though, this sort of question is fun, but impossible. The only reason it is remotely workable is that we're a bunch of oil-obsessed freaks who like to talk about this stuff. My wife thinks we're all certifiable -- and I don't mean API or ILSAC certifiable. . .

So what of M1 5w-40 TDT? Looks like a great oil, but it's utterly worthless to me. In fact, with it's 100C vis (40 wt of course), it must be on my NEVER USE list. Given a "gun to the head" choice between TDT and DD* 5w-30, I'd take the DD every time for my cars.

* DD = Decapitated Dog, a/k/a Wolf's Head.

lol certified nuts indeed. Yeah M1 TDT is too thick @ 40c, so I may have remove it from the #1 spot.
grin2.gif

0w is in.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
My survivalist camp will be well stocked with HDD 5w-30. Delvac 1/and related M1 products like TDT might share some space in the bunker with HDD.

No love for DEO, DME and AME?
frown.gif

M1 5W-40 TDT in CJ-4 form disappointed me in the category of deposit control in my VW 1.8T. It varnished in one 5K mile OCI.

I still haven't found what I'm looking for. Probably because I want free oil that can clean an engine in one OCI, last >10K miles in all of my engines without causing deposits, and prevent wear as good as the best of them. I am SO tired of having to change the oil in my VW 1.8T every ~3300 miles just to keep deposits from getting worse. Amsoil needs to make a 40 weight version of SSO!

JAG, have you tried Redline? Or D1 ESP 5w40? Maybe give Schaeffer S9000 a try.

Pablo, is DEO any better at deposits than TDT?

Last edited:
I can't say with data - on paper it should be, and users report good cleanliness. There are at least four or five guys here using it. One guy posted a pretty good UOA.
grin2.gif

I wonder who that guy is
whistle.gif
It'll be a while before my VC comes off though.

JAG, you might also try a 502.00 5w40. Appears to be many 1.8T owners who can go 5K miles with them.

I am very surprised a good CJ-4 5w40 varnished up so quickly though.

Stock, or modded?

DEO looks very similar to TDT. Maybe give Redline a shot?

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: daman
...i like shaking my oil and kinda hard to shake a drum,lol

Ya. me too. And those 55 gallon drums are kind of flimsy when they are completely full, and often collapse when I am holding them over my head giving them a good shake....

LOL remind me never to fight u rr. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back