If you had to pick ONE oil as the best overall....

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.asp

I would have to go with M1 TDT 5w40.

I was looking at OVERK1LL's UOA and then looked at the PDS for M1 TDT. All things considered (performance & availability), M1 TDT is the best oil out there IMO.

I would not hesitate to use this oil in a high performance gas engine either. I know it's holding up very well in many of the VW engines too. All things considered, I'm not sure this oil can be beat. Rotella 5w40 & SSO would be up there also.

I'd have to go with Lexus' XOM-supplied 5W-40 full synthetic.
thumbsup2.gif

I think the best oil is the single quarts of Havoline I picked up off the highway after the Walmart truck rolled over and broke open. I felt it was my duty as a citizen to help clear the roadway to get traffic moving....

Delvac 1, M1 0W-40, or that Amsoil straight 30 stuff.

There...that's my one, depending one where you are.

I would be inclined to say Amsoil 0w30, as you could run that in just about anything and it has awesome long drain capabilities. So if any oil deserves the title of best overall oil that can be used in just about any engine, I'd have to say that one.

I would have to say PP.

Cost and availbilty is a factor.

That being said, I almost never buy it. I have a bunch of M1 and SynPower I bought on the cheap right now.

Best to me is like the Goldilocks Fable. Not too big...not too small....but the right oil for the right application at the right viscosity at the right time & price too. This goes for oil filters as well. Not to mention the right oil change interval.

I'd pick an Amsoil Eao oil filter.

Amsoil 5W-30 HP for this weight is great!

I'd run it 7500 miles....though it can go longer.

Last edited:
With 31 years of successful engine maintenance, as in very clean, long lived, and never a failure. I most humbly choose for my future motoring excellance, joy, and complete confidence, the choice of auto engineeres around the world, M1 oils.

Last edited:
I'm just amazed an experienced guy like Buster started such a thread!

M1 TDT 5W-40 is indeed a great oil. But I would not run it in a XW-20 Honda. I won't give a real answer but I would think an XW-30 could better straddle both sides of the viscosity question if you could only pick ONE oil.

Just having fun with it. I know there is no best but I was just saying if you had to consider ONE oil as the BEST, considering performance, availability etc..

M1 TDT & Amsoil SSO would get my vote. SSO would be 2nd though due to price and availability.

TDT could be run in a Honda although it would not be ideal.

I dunno. I read stuff and think about stuff, and sometimes change my mind. Right now my opinion of RP, Synpower and Syntec are about equally tops but for different engines.
Flat lifters, RP for sure.
Synpower? Hard to beat their confidence in the 300K guarantee.
Syntec? Well it has lots of molly...maybe better for startup on a lower usage vehicle. (Maybe)

Guess I'll go with RP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back