Toyota 0W20 Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALS

I just bought a 2010 Toyota Prius and it requires 0W20, 5K OCI's.
While perusing a Prius board I came across this post by Toyota marketing put up yesterday. I thought you guys would be interested in their comments on the oil.

Quote:
We know there's been much discussion over the new synthetic oil guidelines from Toyota. As was mentioned back in April, the new oil will eventually roll out across more lines and manufacturers and provide lower emissions and improved fuel efficiency.

The owner's manual lists the use of 0W-20 and 5K oil change intervals so we can't really comment further on what would void your warranty.

The synthetic oil should now be available at all dealers and should very soon be available in bulk, which will reduce the costs for everyone. Genuine Toyota Motor Oil 0W-20 contains a Toyota specific additive package within it, making it not interchangeable with other synthetic oils of the same weight such as Mobil 1.

We can't say much more now, but stay tuned for more info shortly, our experts are doing their best to provide more information as it becomes available.

Best,
Erica G, Prius Product Marketing, TMS, USA

Quote:
Genuine Toyota Motor Oil 0W-20 contains a Toyota specific additive package within it, making it not interchangeable with other synthetic oils of the same weight such as Mobil 1.

Best,
Erica G, Prius Product Marketing, TMS, USA

Soooo.................let's see the specifications.....hmm....

Very interesting...
wink.gif

Especially

Quote:

The synthetic oil should now be available at all dealers and should very soon be available in bulk, which will reduce the costs for everyone. Genuine Toyota Motor Oil 0W-20 contains a Toyota specific additive package within it, making it not interchangeable with other synthetic oils of the same weight such as Mobil 1.

Thanks for posting... Sounds like a new sludge problem for Toyota if the oils aren't compatible.
27.gif

She seems to use a stronger/different word than "compatible". NOT Interchangeable - why/how? Meaning you can't even use other 0W-20 oils or you can't mix them???

If you can't even use other 0W-20's, that would be huge, but further shame on Toyota for not having the oil out already.....

I dunno.....

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Very poorly worded from (I'm going to guess) a low ranking marketing person.
I would wait for something more official.

I agree. That just doesn't sound right. No time this morning, but I'll dig around some later and see what other sources say.

It doesn't sound right, especially coming from Toyota, known for a high quality product. Boy those Fords are looking better than ever!

AD

Just went on Toyota TIS and reviewed the 2010 Prius oil requirements. It does NOT say anything like this marketing lady claims. In fact, it doesn't even require SM rated 0w-20. It says only "ILSAC multigrade engine oil". Interestingly, the US and Canada oil choices, which are immediately adjacent to one another, differ. It's 0w-20 only in the US, and 0w-20 or 5w-20 for Canada. This evening, I'll make an image of this and post.

I don't think Erica knows what she's talking about.

By Fed. law if you specify a product that only you make and will void your warranty if any other product is introduced then you have to supply the product for FREE !! Good news Toyota guys.

If Erica sent that to me, I would see if I could get Toyota to provide me with "Free Oil" according to the law. After all she does rep the company, and in a roundabout way is leading me to believe I have to use their product. I wonder how they'd weave, bob, duck, and side step that flurry? It's about time companies get called out and held accountable for providing people with the wrong information. This goes on all the time, but would stop if they were called out and fined or punished for erroneous information,. Especially when its in print, it can't be denied! Having said all that Erica's comments are somewhat vague, and after dissected by an attorney she might be able to spit the hook.

AD

Its crazy that they don't say 5w-20 is OK if 0W-20 isn't readily available. I thought that part of the Prius draw was low cost of ownership. And why they didn't have this oil ready earlier is beyond me.

Just checked with my local Toyota dealer and was told the following over the phone:

They already carry the Toyota brand 0W-20 motor oil.
It's in bulk and is sold OTC in 1 liter bottles.
It's made for them by ESSO (Imperial Oil Canada).
Price is $5.65/liter which is very good if it's a true 0W-20 syn' but I'm suspicious as it sounds very much like a dino 5W-20 at that price.

I'm going to drop by and take a look at the bottle myself.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
If Erica sent that to me, I would see if I could get Toyota to provide me with "Free Oil" according to the law. After all she does rep the company, and in a roundabout way is leading me to believe I have to use their product. I wonder how they'd weave, bob, duck, and side step that flurry? It's about time companies get called out and held accountable for providing people with the wrong information. This goes on all the time, but would stop if they were called out and fined or punished for erroneous information,. Especially when its in print, it can't be denied! Having said all that Erica's comments are somewhat vague, and after dissected by an attorney she might be able to spit the hook.

AD

I suspect that poor Erica is going to find herself in some hot water...

And here's a screenshot image of the Prius 2010 oil spec direct off the Toyota Tech Info System. Copyright acknowledged, this is intended as "fair use" to clarify this misunderstanding...

Toyota%200w20%20Oil.jpg

This is the most official "word" we're going to get from Toyota. Notice that, from TIS itself, there is absolutely no mention at all about being required to use their flavor of 0w-20. This would not just pop up at the last moment, if they were going to play that game (use our oil or else...), it would have been on the oil caps and in the manuals of the very first cars, which are now being seen on the streets. I've spotted about a half-dozen of them in the flesh.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Just checked with my local Toyota dealer and was told the following over the phone:

They already carry the Toyota brand 0W-20 motor oil.
It's in bulk and is sold OTC in 1 liter bottles.
It's made for them by ESSO (Imperial Oil Canada).
Price is $5.65/liter which is very good if it's a true 0W-20 syn' but I'm suspicious as it sounds very much like a dino 5W-20 at that price.

I'm going to drop by and take a look at the bottle myself.

Just got back from the Toyota dealer. Their 0W-20 oil(part # C0009-00W20-12) is not claimed to be synthetic. The only thing it says on the bottle is that it is SM an energy conserving.

I also contacted Honda. They also have a house brand 0W-20 that they say is not synthetic.

0w20 that's NOT synthetic? Must be Group III base stock at least. Has anyone got a syn- blend 0w20 on the market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back