2007 GMC Yukon grease fitting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read that on the 4 wheel drive GMC Yukon XL there are 11 grease fittings, however, I can only locate 2 on mine which are on the tie rod ends. Any clue as to where the rest might be located or are they all sealed now with the exception of the two I located? I have not had the vehicle on a lift to look further.

Presuming your truck is similar to my c/k 3500:
1 upper ball joint, 2 sides
1 lower ball joint, 2 sides
1 outer tie rod end, 2 sides
1 inner tie rod, 2 sides
drag link where they meet the pitman arm and idler arm (2)
1 idler arm upper section

The terminology may not be the same as yours, but you should have similar positions. Basically, there are 5 per side, but the 11th one is on the idler arm, because the steering box on the other side is interally lubricated. Think of the pitman arm/idler arm as a parallelogram that pivots and you'll get al the correct areas.

Do you have rack n pinion steering or do you have a reciculating ball steering? With rack n pinion there are far fewer grease fittings.and if you do have it I very much doubt that there will be 11 fittings.

"I have not had the vehicle on a lift to look further"

Unless you are disabled or lazy it is not essential that you raise the truck on a lift. The grease fittings are easy enough to locate.

Originally Posted By: gundog
I have read that on the 4 wheel drive GMC Yukon XL there are 11 grease fittings, however, I can only locate 2 on mine which are on the tie rod ends. Any clue as to where the rest might be located or are they all sealed now with the exception of the two I located? I have not had the vehicle on a lift to look further.
I had an 05, and 06 GMC Sierra half ton 4wd pick-up. I think 11 was a good number on my trucks. I don't know the names of the components, but I'll try. Upper and lower ball joints 4 total, tie rods 2 total, intermediate links 2 total (zerks facing up), steering arm 1, idler 1, connecting link 1. Some of these are not visible. You have to find them from underneath the vehicle by feeling for them. Some of these require a 90 degree slip on style adapter for clearance reasons. Good luck. Oh BTW, Chevron Delo EP #2 is my favorite grease. I swear that my trucks rode just a tad better with it. It's great stuff.

I have a 2003 and there are 11.
One you will miss: On the lower joint of the right idler arm there is a zerk that points straight up ... into the bottom of the engine. You can't get on it until you turn the wheels to the right approx. 7/8 of a turn on the steering wheel. It's a whole lot easier to get with the right front tire removed.
The first time I saw an electric grease gun I thought "How lazy can you get?" Laying under my Yukon with one hand stuck through the skid plate holding the hose in place and pumping the gun with the other ... while holding the gun with my face I thought an electric grease gun sounded like a pretty good idea.

I can't recall for sure but it does seem like they went to rack and pinion steering for '07. If that is true then you won't have nearly as many. You might only have 6 or fewer. Most of their cars come with zero anymore and I've had some sealed ones on a Grand Prix go 212,000 miles and still work with no slop at all. You might want to consider getting a shop manual for it.

I just got an 03 Yukon. There are 11 spots on mine. Just curious what people recommend for grease for this vehicle?

I have been using Kendall SHP on my 2003. I grease it twice a year. I now have over 75k miles on it and everything is still tight.
SHP is a calcium sulfonate and works great on boat trailer wheel bearings as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back