kia atf

Status
Not open for further replies.
This too

..but in an effort to more completely answer your question ...

Formula Shell Multi-vehicle ATF
http://www.pzlqs.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140002162227_32AE.pdf
The spec's are identical for PZ MVF AFT
http://www.pzlqs.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140002163815_4BE.pdf

..and Quaker State is the same as well.

Mobil 1 works

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is also suitable for use in vehicles that specify the following fluid requirements:

Audi G 052 025-A2, G 052 162-A1
BMW LA2634
Esso LT 71141
ETL-7045E, ETL-8072B, N402
Ford* MERCON*, MERCON V, MERCON LV
All 2005 and earlier GM vehicles**
Honda ATF-Z1*
Hyundai SP-II, SP-III
Idemitsu K17
JWS 3309
Kia SP-II, SP-III
MAN 339F, V1, V2, Z1, Z2, Z3
Mazda ATF-III, ATF-MV
Mercedes-Benz 236.1, 236.2, 236.5, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II, SP-III
Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K
Subaru ATF
Toyota T-III, T-IV
Voith 55.6335.XX (G607, G1363),
Volvo 97340
ZF TE-ML 03D, 04D, 09, 14A, 14B, 16L, 17C

as does Mobil's MV ATF

Approved for MERCON® VApproved for Allison C-4 applications

Exceeds the requirement of the JASO 1-A performance standards

Mobil Multi-vehicle ATF is also suitable for use in vehicles that specify the following requirements:

Audi G 052 025-A2, G 052 162-A1
BMW LA2634
Esso LT 71141
ETL-7045E, ETL-8072B, N402
Ford* MERCON*, MERCON LV
All 2005 and earlier GM vehicles**
Honda ATF-Z1*
Hyundai SP-II, SP-III
Idemitsu K17
JWS 3309
Kia SP-II, SP-III
MAN 339F, V1, V2, Z1, Z2, Z3
Mazda ATF-III, ATF-MV
Mercedes-Benz 236.1, 236.2, 236.5, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II, SP-III
Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K
Subaru ATF
Toyota T-III, T-IVVoith 55.6335.XX (G607, G1363),
Volvo 97340
ZF TE-ML 03D, 04D, 09, 14A, 14B, 16L, 17C

Texaco's MD-3 doesn't show SPIII as a recommendation. Just DexIIIH, MerconV, and +4

I didn't dwell too long on Red Line's site, but found no specific reference to SPIII.

Any universal or multivehicle ATF mentioning the spec's on the bottle or datasheet will work well. After a fluid change, do a battery disconnect to improve new fluid adaptability drive-ability.

Amsoil, Amalie, Mobil1, Castrol(import and high mileage), RoyalPurple.... are some great choices.

Certain fluids, like Pennzoil, Mobil1, Qs.... have different revisions depending on the age of the fluid at the local parts store. Make sure it mentions SPIII on the bottle.

My favorite SPIII substitute is ATF+4.

Last edited:
Make 100% sure it meets the SP-III Specification or you could end up destroying your transmission in a short period of time!

Do Not use a fluid if you are unsure.

Also if you get your fluid changed at a quick lube place, make sure they show you the specification for the oil before putting it in so you know it meets SP-III without a doubt!

cheers3.gif

Talk to KIA. Chances are, you have to buy from them.

My Wifes Sorrento takes Kia Red 1, which from what I understand is an updated fluid that almost all kia's take now. They would not tell me if I could use another type of fluid. My manual called for Mobil DII, and that is not listed anywhere either.

I'll give you a hint on Red-1. Its the Korean equivalent of the jatco ATF that Nissan, Subaru.... uses. Any good multivehicle/universal ATF work excellent.

And, SPIII is absolutely pathetic. Its friction modified for the damper clutches, which is no different from any other slip controlled TC.

Don't let the dealer steal what little freedom you have by forcing you to use a dealer OE sourced overpriced inadequate ATF.

Originally Posted By: LushGreenLawn
Talk to KIA. Chances are, you have to buy from them.

My Wifes Sorrento takes Kia Red 1, which from what I understand is an updated fluid that almost all kia's take now. They would not tell me if I could use another type of fluid. My manual called for Mobil DII, and that is not listed anywhere either.

If you choose to stick with the dealer only that is your desicion. A technician that works at a dealership swears that in their factory training you cannot remove the transmission pan for any reason or it will void your warranty. Does that make any sense at all since they sell a transmission filter for my model. I choose to remove the pan and replace the filter warranty be [censored].

FYI Sorrento's used to take Dex III while the rest took SPIII.

Here is a comparison I did of Amsoil ATF and SPIII it also has a link to the VOA I did of SPIII. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...&gonew=1#UNREAD

Originally Posted By: unDummy
And, SPIII is absolutely pathetic.

Mitsubishi SP-III here is sourced from ENEOS (Nippon-Mitsubishi Oil) in Japan, and their operations in Thailand. I cannot comment on the American stuff, or why you reckon it's "pathetic". But I have been using it in my truck's Aisin-Warner tranmission (calling for Dexron II+/SP-II+), and it comes out like new when flushed out at the recommended 25,000 mile interval. It shifts and runs smoother than Dexron III, Mercon and Mercon V in my application, all of which I've tried for at least 25,000 miles each.
21.gif

I'm using Amsoil ATF which claims to be SP-III rated and have been for the last 100K KM (60K Miles) and my transmission has never shifted better. It has over 200K KM (120K miles) on it now.
wink.gif

It's a Hyundai Santa Fe 2.7 Litre.

FWIW, I'm using MaxLife in a Hyundai Santa Fe and it's shifting as fine as ever - or so what the owner says.

Originally Posted By: nthach
FWIW, I'm using MaxLife in a Hyundai Santa Fe and it's shifting as fine as ever - or so what the owner says.
That is because it meets SP-III requirements as stated here: http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/system-fluids/automatic-transmission-fluid/94

Quote:

8) Q: Is MaxLife ATF an SP-111 fluid?

A: MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF is 100% compatible for use in SP-II and SP-III applications.

This doesn't mean all Dex/Merc products will work in a SP-III application, but this oil happens to meet all these specs, as does the Amsoil I use.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back