Marvel Mystery Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCI

What does Marvel Mystery Oil do?

How does it work?

What are any down-sides to it?

I've got a mid-1950s engine that had stuck piston rings, smoked like a mosquito truck. I added Marvel to the crankcase oil, to the gas, and down the spark plug holes.

It worked great. No more smoking, no more stuck rings, almost immediately.

Should I change the oil now?

Thanks.

I'd let it run for a little longer with the MMO in, then change the oil. Let it ensure everything is freed up.

I run it for a little bit then change the oil. The MMO isn't as much of a concern as all of the junk it probably loosened out of the ring packs.

After the initial oil change feel free to keep using the MMO in the fuel and oil to continue the clean up.

good stuff, but mystery is part of the name. Chemical analysis, MSDS, etc., IMO isnt all that telling.

Obviously lots of folks put it in their oil, so a bit of dilution is no biggie... that said, on an original 1950s engine, Id want as much cleaning as I could get, so doing a number of changes with an HDEO is, IMO a good idea.

Thank you everyone who replied. I wasn't too sure about this, but as bad as the engine was running I figured it was worth a try. The results were simply amazing. Almost immediate, certainly within minutes.

I'll run it until the oil is hot today and change it, and keep running it in the fuel.

While we're on the subject, what is the significance of oil dilution in this case?

Is it as good/better for carbon cleaning (in fuel) as SeaFoam???

Is it as good/better for cleaning (in crank case) as Rislone???

I like MMO but I rarely use it because of those other 2 products.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Is it as good/better for carbon cleaning (in fuel) as SeaFoam???

Is it as good/better for cleaning (in crank case) as Rislone???

I like MMO but I rarely use it because of those other 2 products.

Not sure as an oil cleaner vs. rislone, but seafoam i'd imagine is more aggressive on carbon. MMO is a UCL and probably keeps your fuel system clean. MMO actually recommends using something strong for an initial cleaning if you haven't, then go onto MMO. Pretty sure on that, not positive.

Dunno.. Smells great though, thinkin' about showering in it!
LOL.gif

The bulk of my reading on the various cleaners tells me none of them will hang the moon in short order. If MMO did something for you in one dose, then you're fortunate.

I'm an ongoing MMO user - in the gas, and at the end of an OCI I'll sometimes do my last top off with some MMO. In my brain, Neutra 131 (Schaeffers) trumps MMO in both uses (gas and as slow engine purge) - but I don't always have Neutra around. (MMO markets itself as resisting deposits - not so much at cleaning up what's there. Neutra is designed to clean.)

If I were attacking a dirty engine I would (and have with good results) - hit it first with a strong solvent to kick start the softening process - that is, I'd run Seafoam for 200 miles or do a 30 min Amsoil flush (with their 15 min. stuff) - and then follow this in your next fill with your favorite slow cleaner.

(and the slow cleaner phase could be multi-phased - over six months to a yr)

Last edited:
I was under the impression that a product like Seafoam is a better cleaner, i.e. removing sludge and deposits. Where MMO is a cleaner too but MMO also lubricates as well? I only am assuming this because many users have commented that they use it to lubricate their fuel systems where seafoam users only comment on the cleaning aspect? Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted By: CCI
What does Marvel Mystery Oil do? CLEANS, LUBRICATES, AND WORKS AS A uCL.

How does it work? IT IS VERY THIN AND ACTED LIKE A PENETRATING OIL IN YOUR CASE.

What are any down-sides to it? NONE IF USED AS DIRECTED.

I've got a mid-1950s engine that had stuck piston rings, smoked like a mosquito truck. I added Marvel to the crankcase oil, to the gas, and down the spark plug holes.

It worked great. No more smoking, no more stuck rings, almost immediately.

Should I change the oil now?

Thanks.

MMO in the oil cleans as well as lubricates. I wouldn't exceed their suggested dose of 1 qt in the sump. Since you added it to the cylinders, I would change the oil out. Fill it with your favorite oil, less one quart, a new filter, and drive it. Continue adding it to the gas at a rate of 4 oz/ 10 gallons of gas. Enjoy. MMO has been known to free up engines with the same symptoms you've described.

Originally Posted By: 360kid
I was under the impression that a product like Seafoam is a better cleaner, i.e. removing sludge and deposits. Where MMO is a cleaner too but MMO also lubricates as well? I only am assuming this because many users have commented that they use it to lubricate their fuel systems where seafoam users only comment on the cleaning aspect? Right or Wrong?

I REFUSE to put any solvents in my crank case! If it disolves the trash, then think what it does to the lubrication? That is why I choos rislone for gentle engine cleaning over a 3k OCI. It reminds me of Doxidan.

As for SeaFoam, I ONLY use it in gas tanks (jetski, boats, lawnmowers, vehicles, etc.) as a winterizer (if I am out of Stabil), but most likely I am using it throught the intake to knock the carbon off the valves & pistons. That is my primary use for SeaFoam.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Oil of wintergreen is apparently quite a good cleaner.

Thats what Pinesol is made with
banana2.gif

It works good too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back