WD-40 on wiper blades....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think it would hurt.
I personally use silicone spray on a rag.
You would be surprised how much dirt builds up on the wipers.

hmm... in my car's owners manual it states to periodically clean the wiper blades with a rag with isoprophyl alcohol. (rubbing alcohol)

NO. Don't put silicone spray on wiper blades, you will smear like crazy. You can wipe the blades with rubbing alcohol and that removes a lot of dirt and buildup. You really can't treat the rubber blades like you can tires or trim. You should be replacing those blades every 6mos-year anyhow and most blades will last that long w/o problems.

Silicone has never caused me any smearing problems. I don't load it up the blade though.
I can easily get over a year on my wiper blades too.

My PIAA silicone blades are going on TWO years strong. I love 'em.
grin2.gif

Chrysler has a TSB saying use windshield washer fluid or rubbing alcohol. That is what I have been doing.
In fact they say not to replace your blades until you have cleaned the blades three times without success.

I take spray silicone and cover the windshield. I wipe it even with a paper towel. Then spray the windshield down with water and wipe the excess off with dry paper towels. This seems to last a LONG time (Like RainX, but easier to apply) and it keeps my wipers in GREAT condition. I have had my current set on for almost a year and they are still clearing quite well.

Use the washer fluid or alcohol.

In fact the "optimizer" wipes Trico and ACDelco include with new blades are really just alcohol swabs.

Originally Posted By: moklock
Use the washer fluid or alcohol.

In fact the "optimizer" wipes Trico and ACDelco include with new blades are really just alcohol swabs.

Yep.....that furthers my opinion that the alcohol is what is the one of the better things to use.

that's what I always use, rubbing alcohol pads. I get great life out of my blades. Sometimes almost 3yrs on a set including winters :)

I wipe the blades off everytime I wash the car or clean the windshield with whatever I'm using to wash the car or clean the windshield.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
303 works well.

Even a wet napkin works wonders.

I use wet napkin too, my OEM blades usually lasted 4-5 years but aftermarket blades only lasted 2-3 years

I'm over 5 years on my Anco refills (and got 4 years on the OEM), but they're starting to split at the top end, so I'll put on new ones when it starts raining again. It helps that they're mostly shaded by the trailing end of the hood. I don't put anything on them, but I wash them when I wash the car, and I use Rain-X on the windshield, so I can usually leave the wipers off (at speed) or on intermittent.

I don't see how alcohol can do anything but dry out the rubber, but if you needed to wipe the wipers off with something then use soapy water...

Originally Posted By: Tosh
I don't see how alcohol can do anything but dry out the rubber...

No worse than the alcohol in the washer fluid.

Clean wipers with washer fluid, rubbing alcohol, or windex. I would not put WD-40 or silicone on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back