Bosch Filter with Magnet cut open (10,177 miles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
who makes these Bosch filters?

Bosch. They are now part owner of Purolator. I have found the current L10193 different from the older ones. I say the new company needs to prove itself. In the mean time, I am going to be looking at some other things.

My understanding(as said above) is Bosch now owns Purolator. So Bosch may be made by Purolator. And the magnet is a Klear Force magnet sold at Summit Racing.

After 10K I'd say the Bosch looks very good, I'd use one. There is one poster here that likes to call them "Botch",
wink.gif
doesn't care for Purolator either because of ownership.
21.gif
They look very similar to a Purolator, very solid. Until I see visual proof of lack of quality I will continue to use Purolator.

As for the magnet, I can't tell much, but for $20 can't hurt. Might keep some metal from going back with filter in bypass.

Based on my reading, Id say the Bosch is like a Purolator Classic (PremPl) with a silcone adbv instead of nitrile. Recently cut open a Puro Prem Plus and with the exception of the silcone adbv it looks almost identical.

One thing, maybe ZZman could post a picture of the dome end bypass valve. I'd like to see it.

Thanks for posting.

Here are a few more that show the inside, the dome side and I think show the metal particles better. **The box said 99.9% filtration.

Bosch_Camry_005.jpg

Bosch_Camry_006.jpg

Bosch_Camry_007.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: severach
Put some neodymium dot magnets on the inlet side so they touch the oil. You'll be much more impressed for much less money.

"on the inlet side so they touch the oil"

Do you mean on the outside of the filter near the base (where the oil enters the filter)?

More great pics ZZ.
thankyou2.gif

And, I take it back. If it says 99.9% efficiency it is likely the smooth can twin of the Pure One. So, for those who don't like the texture, they can get Bosch. I doubt they will find the deals on Bosch they will on Pure One.

Me, I like the texture. Just finished installing a cuz of the Pure One, the Puro made AAP Total Grip. Hand tightening with no need for a wrench is sweet.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Originally Posted By: sayjac

One thing, maybe ZZman could post a picture of the dome end bypass valve. I'd like to see it.

It's exactly like the bypass valve on the Purolator ... and other brand filters made by Purolator (ie, some Motorcraft with bypass in dome end).

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=110606&Number=1521446
Exactly busa! That's why I wanted to see it. The guy in the most recently posted filter study called the bypass "the 45 adaptor thingy".
That's what it looks like.

I think it's safe to say that Purolator and Bosch are virtually the same. That's what 330 filter study showed.

I bought a couple Bosch Premium filters online for '94 Lexus LS400 few years ago for less than $3/ea, while buying something else to make total purchase more than $50 for free shipping.

It may not on be sale as often as Pure One at local stores, but it can be purchased online for less than Pure One.

No kidding. Right now you can get a 2 pack Pure Ones at Amazon for 9.48 plus a $4 rebate makes them 2 for $5.48. Or Advance Auto also has good deals on them with the $10 coopin on purchase of $25 or more plus the $4 rebate.

I've just never seen Bosch on sale by themselves. I've seen them in oil combo deals at AZ, but that's about it.

No matter, as said, I'd have no problem using them.

I like Bosch filters. Glad to see a cut open one to verify that they are well built.

What is the normal price for a Bosch and PureOne in your area?

(I paid like $ 6.50 for my Bosch)

Originally Posted By: ZZman

Same here. But AAP has a coopin for $10 (see promo board) when you buy $25 or more. That's 4 filters or two filters with something else. Then you've got the rebate for $4 for two or $8 for 4. That's a pretty good deal on Pure Ones at AAP.

Originally Posted By: ZZman

Same here. P-1s are 5.49 at Peppie Boys.

Thanks for posting the pics!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pbm
Do you mean on the outside of the filter near the base (where the oil enters the filter)?

Put magnets on the inside of the filter. Magnets in the oil are much more effective than magnets attenuated by the metal can. The inlet side has a large crease where you can space out magnets between the holes and if a magnet should break up or move the filter will catch it. So far no magnet has broken up, moved, or corroded immersed in the hot oil. The more I put in the more I catch.

Select a magnet size based on the crease depth of your filter and the groove in the oil mount. Some filters have deep creases and some oil mounts have deep grooves allowing good size magnets with plenty of space for oil flow.

Automatic transmission builders put magnets in the oil and though weak are very effective.

I went to Advanced Auto Parts today and the Pureone's were $ 6.49. I might have to start going there even though it is farther away.

I had a filter magnet from filtermag.com on a mobil one oil filter for my remote tanny filter kit. It did a very good job in pulling out magnetic particals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back