Best oil for a 2009 BMW 335d

Status
Not open for further replies.
New BMW 335d. What is the best oil Mobil 1 ESP 5w30? You guys know best.
Should I do a break change? I will use a 7500 mile OCI even with a good oil because the car is a taxi.

Not sure how much you care about wear. If you want to minimize wear, use German Castrol (Euro formula) 0w-30 or Redline. Redline will give you far and away the least wear. If that is what you care about then shell out the money and worry no longer. There are a ton of guys on here that have 300-600K miles on their trucks and cars on that stuff that have done tear down analysis to find most or all metal parts within factory spec. GC is also a solid oil and slightly more available around the states.

The issue I have with Mobil 1 is that my father had a 2001 Mercury Sable that was gently driven for 165,000 miles on Mobil 1 5w-30 with a 3000 mile OCI and then after that the engine started knocking and smoking!? [censored]? Also, most OCI of Mobil 1 have completely unexplainable elevated iron levels. Oil does not come with iron. Also, Mobil 1 changed their formulation after they lost the synthetic name lawsuit with Castrol and have cheapened their oil to hydrocracked Group III [censored] ever since 1997. Don't use Mobil 1. It is not what it used to be.

Originally Posted By: djlinux64
If you want to minimize wear, use German Castrol (Euro formula) 0w-30 or Redline.

GC doesn't meet the LL-04 spec required for the new diesels.
55.gif

If you want to minimize wear, use German Castrol (Euro formula) 0w-30

His engine calls for an oil meeting LL-04 spec. While GC is good oil, it does not meet this spec. Another words, GC is not some kind of a miracle cure that's always good for everything.

In order to preserve the manufacturer warranty, he should stick with an LL-04 oil. M1 ESP 5w-30 is probably as good as it gets in this area.

The issue I have with Mobil 1 is that my father had a 2001 Mercury Sable that was gently driven for 165,000 miles on Mobil 1 5w-30 with a 3000 mile OCI and then after that the engine started knocking and smoking!? [censored]? Also, most OCI of Mobil 1 have completely unexplainable elevated iron levels. Oil does not come with iron. Also, Mobil 1 changed their formulation after they lost the synthetic name lawsuit with Castrol and have cheapened their oil to hydrocracked Group III [censored] ever since 1997. Don't use Mobil 1. It is not what it used to be.

:facepalm:

The issue I have with Mobil 1 is that my father had a 2001 Mercury Sable that was gently driven for 165,000 miles on Mobil 1 5w-30 with a 3000 mile OCI and then after that the engine started knocking and smoking!? [censored]?

M1 and M1 ESP aren't exactly the same animal.

Besides, what you describe here isn't really proof that it was M1 that caused his engine to smoke. There could have been a number of other factors that were responsible. How sure are you that there would not be any smoke after 165k miles if he used any other oil?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Another words, GC is not some kind of a miracle cure that's always good for everything.

Exactly, and neither is Redline, as dj would have us believe. I think he works for them
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The issue I have with Mobil 1 is that my father had a 2001 Mercury Sable that was gently driven for 165,000 miles on Mobil 1 5w-30 with a 3000 mile OCI and then after that the engine started knocking and smoking!? [censored]?

M1 and M1 ESP aren't exactly the same animal.

Besides, what you describe here isn't really proof that it was M1 that caused his engine to smoke. There could have been a number of other factors that were responsible. How sure are you that there would not be any smoke if he used any other oil?

The only other explanation is that Ford engines suck. That car was in tip top shape and completely babied for its entire life... Poor thing - but its gone now.

The only other explanation is that Ford engines suck. That car was in tip top shape and completely babied for its entire life... Poor thing - but its gone now.

I've seen a lot of engines that developed some sort of smoke problem by the time they hit 165k miles. I'm sure not all of them were running M1. Your example is anecdotal at best.

What a shame. Check out the Redline. You will fall in love with it once you see the flash points and HTHS numbers

I'm afraid that when it comes to a rather complex diesel engine such as his, there is more to oil than just flash point and HT/HS. Certainly, Redline makes good oils, but which one of them carries LL-04 or even basic API certification? Try to explain it to the dealer when push comes to shove considering honoring of the vehicle warranty.

Here's some more oils that meet LL-04..

Amsoil 5w-40 European Car Formula
Valvoline Synpower MST 5w-30
Valvoline Synpower MST 5w-40
LIQUI MOLY Longtime High Tech 5W-30
Total QUARTZ INEO MC3 5W-30

Bio diesel? I would select something with a saturated, inherently stable base stock instead. If you think an ester is worth a premium, why not Redline?

Me? Pennzoil YB.

My sons Ranger has 333,000 miles on M1 10-30, 10-13,000 mile OCIs. A friend has a 2000 Taurus with 300,000 miles, 10,000 mile OCIs on M1 5-10-30. Same engine as your fathers Sable. My Merc has been flauless on M1 10-30.
Every one on this site knows your problem isn't the oil.
I'm not saying M1 is the best. PP, Ams, Valv., GC, and others are good as well.Pass that swill off on some other site.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back