of What's your opinion on Castrol Synthetic Blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Syntec Blend Meets or Exceeds the tough ACEA A1 spec. Few oils do, most are labeled "Full Synthetics", while the best syntetics carry A5 or A3 if they are thicker. It seems our "blended" oils equal Europe's basic grades, which by direct comparison are VERY close the top A5/A3 specs, in fact most areas are the equal.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetail.do?categoryId=82915479&contentId=6030819

So, it seems like maybe Syntec Blend is as good as some full synth products. There are cheaper oils that fall into "blended" performance for less money, like Motorcraft Semi-Synth.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
TiredTrucker - You said this:
"Doug Hillary does make some valid comments in his article, but the scope of his arguments are limited at best."

Could you please elaborate?

I did in my previous post, in that the economics of the end user decision was not taken much into account. Maybe Porche has over 100 recommended manufacturers, most OEM's don't give such a broad selection. Jeep, regarding their Liberty CRD only gave 1 recommendation... Mobil 1.

I did state that OEM specifications on oils should be followed, but that a generic statement that only following OEM recommendations are fine for small quantity users, but are economically detrimental to higher volume users. This is of little concern to the OEM and blindly following a specific brand recommendation can be problematic. Especially when more cost effective, yet fully functional and reliable alternatives are available which meet a specification standard. Likewise, real world testing of how a particular oil is performing can help determine the best cost effective solution. Not that UOA's are a be all, end all thing. Stating that UOA's in and of themselves are worthless, may be correct. But in conjunction with the OEM minimum standard, they can be a valuble tool. It would seem from other responses, that some are being led to assume that UOA's are unneccesary and that blindly following only the OEM brand recommendation is the correct path. I have no beef with those that choose that path, but it can be economically unneccesary. This is why I stated that specs like the Cummins CES 20081 type of spec is a better way to go about it. Choose whatever brand you like, just so long as it meets the minimum spec of the OEM. this may include a brand that did not "pony up" to have the OEM put it on their recommended list, yet took the time to ensure that the oil does indeed meet a standard spec put out by the OEM.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Hi,
TiredTrucker - You said this:
"Doug Hillary does make some valid comments in his article, but the scope of his arguments are limited at best."

Could you please elaborate?

I did in my previous post, in that the economics of the end user decision was not taken much into account. Maybe Porche has over 100 recommended manufacturers, most OEM's don't give such a broad selection. Jeep, regarding their Liberty CRD only gave 1 recommendation... Mobil 1.

I did state that OEM specifications on oils should be followed, but that a generic statement that only following OEM recommendations are fine for small quantity users, but are economically detrimental to higher volume users. This is of little concern to the OEM and blindly following a specific brand recommendation can be problematic. Especially when more cost effective, yet fully functional and reliable alternatives are available which meet a specification standard. Likewise, real world testing of how a particular oil is performing can help determine the best cost effective solution. Not that UOA's are a be all, end all thing. Stating that UOA's in and of themselves are worthless, may be correct. But in conjunction with the OEM minimum standard, they can be a valuble tool. It would seem from other responses, that some are being led to assume that UOA's are unneccesary and that blindly following only the OEM brand recommendation is the correct path. I have no beef with those that choose that path, but it can be economically unneccesary. This is why I stated that specs like the Cummins CES 20081 type of spec is a better way to go about it. Choose whatever brand you like, just so long as it meets the minimum spec of the OEM. this may include a brand that did not "pony up" to have the OEM put it on their recommended list, yet took the time to ensure that the oil does indeed meet a standard spec put out by the OEM.

This thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1325382#Post1325382

May be of interest to you. It covers Doug's fleet testing of Delvac 1 over the course of several million Km in OTR transport trucks.

Hi,
TiredTrucker - You said;
"Choose whatever brand you like, just so long as it meets the minimum spec of the OEM. this may include a brand that did not "pony up" to have the OEM put it on their recommended list, yet took the time to ensure that the oil does indeed meet a standard spec put out by the OEM."

This is of course a mixture of realism and wishful thinking. The engine Manufacurer does set a specification(s). In some cases also have a "List" of lubricants that have met the specification and that are registered with them as you allude to

In the case of Detroit Diesel for example their specification document (7SE270 end etc) is very specific.

It also states;
"Beware that some marketers may indicate that their products "meet" API requirements. This is not adequate. Only oils licensed by API should be used in Detroit Disel engines."

It should be noted that;
"Detroit Diesel does not maintain a list of brand name approved products."

MB has maintained a Brand name List for at least 60 years that I know of! Detroit Diesel - now part of Daimler AG - has a series of engine families that are indeed now made by Mercedes Benz!

I have lived very close to the Approved lubricants world a decade or two before Cummins started to list their own specifications after some API related engine/engine lubricant issues (L10/M11) in the 1980s

In the 1950s the only reliable lubricating oil specifications were those from CATERPILLAR, MB, Porsche or the MIL series

So IMO to use a lubricant from a Manufacturer's List is a no brainer! The Brand matters very little!!

This is the opinion of a retired MB executive who I spent some time with at Daimler AG in Stuttgart last week. He was responsible for the supply and testing of lubricanst and ACEA liasison. His stories of supply quality variances and UOA substantiation in use were very interesting indeed

As to economics - access the Truckers forum. I have long stated that in high utilisation vehicles economics play a lead role. I would never have survived in the Trucking world if this had not been my main "driver"

Who was here years ago? I remember syntec bleind being an oil that produced amazing UOAs and was dirt cheap! Anyone remember? I remember some ultra low wear UOAs with syntec blend.

Originally Posted By: Tundraz
I am thinking of putting this oil in my Toyota Tundra , it will be its first oil change, i expext to do about 7000 miles per year , no towing or hard work , just some vacations , road trip hunting , fishing etc.

5.7 liter motor , 4x4 , Auto trans.

I am also considering the Valvoline 10-30 synthetic.

Whats your opinion?

Thanks Tundraz

Tundraz - Is this a diesel? If so, the ACEA grades above aren't what you want, nor are the mentioned oils.
Great if it's a gasser. I saw the 5.7l but don't know Toy displacements well enough to know if that's a gas or a diesel.

MB.... just stop into your local truck stop and ask drivers how well the MB 4000 holds up in class 8 trucks. You probably will get all caught up on the latest swear words. After seeing the experiences many have had with their engines is class 8 trucks, I really don't sit down and review their comments on oils. Never really gave MB a thought until I saw their engines is class 8 trucks, and learned real quickly that I will make sure that their engine is never in a truck I own. Freightliner, et al, are the only ones who even offer the MB engine in a class 8 truck. But of course they would since they are also owned by Daimler. But take a look at any used commercial truck lot and look at the pricing on trucks with MB engines vs. other engine brands. It will speak volumes. Go south of Sioux City, IA and take a look at a field west of I-29. Hundreds of Freightliners with MB engines sitting in that old corn patch cause FL can hardly even give them away.

Hi,

MB has maintained a Brand name List for at least 60 years that I know of! Detroit Diesel - now part of Daimler AG - has a series of engine families that are indeed now made by Mercedes Benz!

So IMO to use a lubricant from a Manufacturer's List is a no brainer! The Brand matters very little!!

This is the opinion of a retired MB executive who I spent some time with at Daimler AG in Stuttgart last week. He was responsible for the supply and testing of lubricanst and ACEA liasison. His stories of supply quality variances and UOA substantiation in use were very interesting indeed

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Originally Posted By: Tundraz
I am thinking of putting this oil in my Toyota Tundra , it will be its first oil change, i expext to do about 7000 miles per year , no towing or hard work , just some vacations , road trip hunting , fishing etc.

5.7 liter motor , 4x4 , Auto trans.

I am also considering the Valvoline 10-30 synthetic.

Whats your opinion?

Thanks Tundraz

Tundraz - Is this a diesel? If so, the ACEA grades above aren't what you want, nor are the mentioned oils.
Great if it's a gasser. I saw the 5.7l but don't know Toy displacements well enough to know if that's a gas or a diesel.
V8 DOHC 32 Valve Gas engine...

I'd run 5w-20 or 5w-30 in it. Follow the MFG 5k or 6 months whichever comes up first for 5 years or 60k miles.

Bill

FWIW, I got good numbers with Syntec Blend in a Honda V6 before I started just mixing GTX and Syntec to make my own. Good numbers with that also. And a bit cheaper.

Thanks Bill
thumbsup2.gif

Hi,
TiredTrucker - Goodness the dead engines sound like a replay of the Cummins L10, M11 and Signature fatalities alonside the early Series 60 engines and the current CAT camshaft and other issues - will we never learn.

MB "V" series engines in this country have a very good reputation as do MAN and Iveco products

Application sure plays a real role

Now, back to the the title of this Thread...................

Castrol's semi-synthetic lubricants do have a very good reputation in ths country. Their semi-synthetic HDEOs were developed here

I had my wife have the dealer put some in a few years back and noticed a difference from the dyno, that experience is partially why I got a case of GC today. The Castrol product impressed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back