Oil for Honda ATV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

It's time to change the oil on my 2007 Honda Rancher AT (TRX400FA). I was looking in the manual and it recommends 10w30 oil. At the local Honda stealership, the oil is Honda GN4 @ around 8$ per quart. I think that is pretty steep for dino oil.

My question to everyone is, what other oils can I use? I know it can't be "energy conserving" oils, or any oil that is not rated JASO-MA and API-SL (I think?). I would like to use a good synthetic, but I am not sure what I can use thats JASO-MA certified. I have no problems sticking with dino oil either.

Any ideas? Keep in mind this is the Hondamatic Automatic trans and uses engine oil so it must be somewhat critical to use the right stuff. What does everyone suggest that will work with this engine/trans setup?

Thanks...

Last edited:
Does the manual not say what API specs the oil must meet? If not I might be tempted just take the dealer oil not worry about it for 2 years depending on your usage and mileage. Unless you are really working the engine hard then you probably want to change it more often.

M1 makes EXCELLENT MC oil's found at any Autozone, 10w40 or 20w50 loaded with anti-wear additives and very shear stable can take the heat.(if you want synthetic)

Or any Truck HDEO 15w40/5w40 will work great too.

I'm thinking Shell Rotella 10-30 might be a good fit. If that same oil also is running the automatic tranny, I guess it should be pretty close to the 10-30 that's spec'ed?
In any event, that RT 10-30 is some good stuff, if you can find it. The local Wally's quit carrying it
frown.gif

Is this unit air cooled??

does it recomend anything thicker??

i would lean twards a litte thicker oil they run hot,WM carrys (Shell Rotella)RTS 5w40 synthetic in a gal jug that would work good take the heat.

how is this unit used??

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the engine is air cooled. I run it pretty hard, lots of wide open trail riding and what not. The manaul calls for 10w30. I can get Rotella 10w30 or the synthetic stuff, but my question is, are either of those oils rated JASO-MA?

The only worry I have is making sure im using the correct oil for the engine as WELL as the transmission, because the transmission uses engine oil to operate. I don't want to put the wrong kind of oil in and cause problems with the expensive hondamatic unit since it's a non serviceable, 1200$ part.

Hopefully I can find a good alternative.

Last edited:
These oil's do not have to be JASO cert to work,unless your under warranty? these oil's will work fine,there low on moly(part of the jaso cert)and high in anti-wear additives and yes work fine in wet clutch (shared)transmitions.

any HDEO will work fine in your ATV,i do believe RTS 5w40 is jaso cert, do a search in the motor sports/MC section lots of good reading there automatic trans right??

Yes

It's an automatic transmission, hydrostatic drive.

I may try Bel-Ray 10W40, since a local wheeler dealer sells that almost exclusively. Any reason why I shouldn't? Never heard of em to be honest. Otherwise, Shell Rotella T, or Mobil 1 10W40 MC oil would be a good bet right?

Last edited:
Never heard of it,sorry,(is it a syn?) so i can't comment on it. i get the impression you would really like to stick to a cert oil witch is fine it's your stuff,go with the M1 MC 10w40 full synthetic oil it'll protect you well(great additive package),and probably cheaper then the dealer wants for his stuff plus i'd bet highly it's(M1) a better oil .

Thanks for the help.

I think I will go with the M1 motorcycle 10w40 oil, seems like a logical and good choice.

I will post back if I have any problems, but I doubt I will.

My 2006 Rincon (680cc) says 10W-30 also but all I have ever used since day 1 is AMSOIL (AFF) 0W-40. It runs great on that oil, shifts very smooth, just like a car. In over 1200 miles of trail riding I have never used any oil, its always at the full mark.

Personally I would not use any oil that does not state JASO MA/MA2 on the bottle.

Well,

While I was there getting the oil filter, I figured I mine as well try the Bel-Ray 10W40 oil. Supposedly it's specially designed for ATV's. Not to mention, no one had the mobil 1 motorcycle oil in town, arg.

Apparently it's a semi-synthetic oil. After the change it appears to be running well. I ran it pretty hard tonight with no problems. I will run it a bit more, but I didn't see a JASO-MA spec, so I will probably buy some M1 MC oil and a new filter next time I leave town.

Either way, it doesnt appear to be a bad oil, but we'll see I suppose. Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with Bel-Ray oil in several atvs. I'm not using it presently but I continue to use their air filter oil and chain lube. Bel-Ray is a quality product, have no fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back