Amsoil ACD30 19,180km Nissan Navara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest oil sample from Goughs SOS Cat
1999 Nissan with total mileage 180,030 kms and 10 months on oil.
Make up oil 3 litres due to TP change on Motorguard bypass at 5,000 km intervals.
First column latest results,2nd column previous result with total of 20500 km.

Cu 4 5
Fe 15 14
Cr 2 2
Pb 3 3
Al 2 2
Si 1 2
Na 3 2
Sn 2 0
Mg 9 10
Zn 1237 1193
Ca 3496 3424
P 993 1019
B 2 4
Ag 0 1
K 1 0
Water 26.0 18.8
NIT 10 9
GLY 4 3
Soot 33 29
SUL 46 40
OXI 45 43
V40 86.8 87.8
PQ - 7

Other wear metal values zero.

Comments
Infra-red levels are increasing-Wear levels appear acceptable-We recommend to resample at 5,000 km.

Rang the lab to ask what they were concerned about.The Sulphation,Oxidation and Soot were trending quite high and shouldnt be allowed to increase much further.Their normal caution levels are 34 for Sul and Oxi and 30 for soot.They said this very much depends on the engine manufacturer,but in the Nissans case no such data is available.If the Sulphation gets too high the oil will become acidic and may attack some metals.They also mentioned the water,a reading of 35 would equate to 0.5% on their scale.I asked about the Glycol at 4 to which he stated this quite often shows up when synthetic lubes are used.
My question to you folks is should I change out now or continue for another 5,000kms?I should add,this vehicle does a lot of short trips,work and back only takes 8 min each way.

I'd change it. You are close to condemnation limits with the bypass and make up oil. I'm still a bit surprised by the water with a tp filter. I would make a point to take a longer drive each week, it should help lower the build up that is wrecking your oil.

oh, looks like a Frontier pickup. Nissan is like Mitsubishi, they have all sorts of great diesel trucks and suvs everywhere in the world except the us
frown.gif

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/pages/home.aspx#/pages/vehicles/triton/home.aspx

I would like one of these Tritons, I got a chance to look at one here at a Mitsubishi event. Comes with a 2.5L or a 3.2l intercooled turbo common rail. I don't know what common rail means, but I've seen it before on the cummin's dodge engines and stuff. Eitherway, I think they look way cool, and I want a diesel =)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a bit unclear as to the mileage on the oil itself. You indicate 10 months on the oil, and 180,030kms "total", but "total" on what? The truck, I presume? Is the 20,000kms the total on the oil at the first sampling, or second?

Either way, I don't suppose it matters much, as the UOA is telling you a few things.

The wear metals don't seem too bad.

One thing that caught my eye is the fact that you're running a TP bypass filter, but your soot and oxidation are still high. If you're changing TP every 5,000 km (about 3100 miles), then I would have expected the soot/insolubles/oxidation to not be an issue, yet they are. Perhaps bypass filtration is not functioning as well as you had hoped, or OTOH, perhaps it could be much worse without bypass filtration?
21.gif

Anyway, running Amsoil for 20,000kms (about 12,500 miles) with bypass, and having to dump it suggests one of two things:
1) you're not getting your value out of the lube system (oil and filter)
or
2) you're going to have to risk longer intervals, and see if things settle down

Last edited:
Sorry about delay in answering.
Yes the total kms on this oil run are 19,180.
The recommended OCI is 5,000km.Therefore I have increased the OCI by 4 tmes which I feel is what I set out to achieve by installing a bypass filter.I would have liked to extend the interval to at least 30,000km but judging by my report that wont be possible.I am in awe of people achieving up to 100,000km intervals but I think engine design and operating condition play a big part in their results.The small 2.7 litre indirect injection diesel and the number of short trips are obviously affecting the oil life.
I'll go another 5,000km just to see how things are trending and change the oil out.Would be interesting to see if dino oil could last this long,maybe a future project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back