The "best" head gasket for a Case/ Cummins 4BT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Onion. It's disappointing to hear this about DD. Everytime someone does an oil testimonial + teardown, it's like they always do it on a DD Series 60, so for some reason, I assumed they were top notch. I glad you are willing to share some of your experience with various brands, since mine is limited.

Case IH (or CNH of the "Fiat Group") parts are of a very low quality these days, in my opinion. Everything is cheaply made, pipes are ill-fitting, etc. Hopefully, they are going to supply better quality, once we need to open a transmission. I would say the transmission is the best thing on the 5100 and 7200 series tractors and the Cummins engines can be kept trouble free of course. MFD-axle drive shafts and seals, on the other hand, will happen to need some repairs from time to time. The axial movement of the shaft will be drawing dirt and grit inside the seal, destroying both parts. Manufacturers should consider the design of greaseable splines at the u-joint + fixed shaft bearings, IMHO.

What I do not like about these tractor are various small things around that happen to be poorly assembled, manufactured or designed. And what I HATE about the 5100 series is the hydraulic piping of the stearing system. The hose fittings are brazed directly to tube, so you can’t replace the hose with a standard hose. If you want to keep the original design, you have to acquire genuine pipes at $ 250 – 300 each, the LS-pipe is currently about $400 in Germany. Also, you have to disassemble half the tractor to reach the steering pump. Therefore I decided to replace all 6 hoses with aftermarket stuff, using different unions and cutting rings. 3 of the original became leaky withing the last 2 years. I’am still in the process of the replacement, it’s simply time to pull the trigger on all these hoses.

John Deere is using the same design on some of the tractors, isn’t that right?

Regarding MB, their engineering problems and their support, German engineers are always in love with themselves and their products, if it can be said that way. It’s like “we are the best – too bad nobody realizes ”. The German superiority claim is no longer valid, has it ever been?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back