Post your internal engine pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I didn't see a thread like this in my wanderings of BITOG. Post any pictures you have from any engine work inside.

These are from the other day when I replaced the leaking valve cover gasket. I had already changed to the Valvoline Maxlife but it had only run for about 10 seconds. The old oil was ACDelco Dino 10W-40 from the Dealership. Looks pretty clean. No sludge or gumming. Just maybe some light varnish.

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

I can't find the rest but here's one of the stockish bottom end with the girdle and ARP hardware currently in service.

Here are some engines my Dad and I tore apart and rebuilt and/or replaced parts in.

Same style engine, but 2 different ones...

2.jpg

12.jpg

04114720.jpg

04114727.jpg

04120350.jpg

1993, 130k mile Toyota 3S-GTE out of a MR2. 250% increase in boost pressure, upgraded turbo, see's frequent track/track like conditions. Runs like a champ!

Sorry for the [censored] cell-quality pictures.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Rocker shot of my Mustang engine, 330,000Km on it:

Admit it OVERK1LL -- You deliberately overexposed that shot to make the rockers look even shinier! Seriously, looks very good.

Oh, here is a picture of my 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 2.2L OHV. It had about 75K on it at this point. Compare to rudolphna's 1997 2.2L. In 1998 GM upgraded it to roller fulcrum rockers. Tips are still solid, however.
normal_DSCN0185.JPG

Hey O.K.

Very impressive photo, I now have a lot more respect for your passionate defense of M1 products.

Mike

Here is the valvetrain of my '95 Integra. First 15-20k miles were done every 3k by the Acura dealership with 5W-30 bulk. The next 100k was every 5k/6mos. also by the dealership with 5W-30 bulk. I did one oil change with Valvoline 5W-30 before I took this pic at around 123k:
p3240094.jpg

Here is my friend's old '96 Integra with about the same mileage, with an unknown background history:
mvc049s.jpg

Originally Posted By: ekpolk

Admit it OVERK1LL -- You deliberately overexposed that shot to make the rockers look even shinier! Seriously, looks very good.

Thanks
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I can't find the rest but here's one of the stockish bottom end with the girdle and ARP hardware currently in service.

BGN:

I think I see it here in your pic, but I'm not sure. That is the split crank pin/even fire design, right? Ten years ago, I was all up on the history of the 231/3.8/3800 engine, but now I've forgotten when they went to the split-pin design. It's interesting to read accounts of how crude and underdeveloped this engine was when it first appeared in production in 1961 (same year I was born...). Especially since it had evolved from an experimental aluminum V-8.

I do have to say, my hat's off to this engine, and the people who put it together. Some strange things happened to it over the years, but there's a very good reason it lasted in production for well over 40 years. I don't think we'll ever see that, for better or worse, from any of the Japanese car makers.

I had a bunch of engine pics of my other vehicles but I lost the media card they were on, These are from my beater 2002 Neon 2.0L SOHC.

These were taken during the timing belt/ VC gasket job I did a couple months back.

tbjob.jpg

I don't know what the maintenance history was for the first 120k miles, but I think it is safe to say dino was used.

rockers4.jpg

below: 91 Pathfinder 185K miles/ 4-5K miles OCI on Dino and Synthetic, currently on maxlife blend.
sell091.jpg

below: 04 Accord V6 41K miles, 4-5K Miles OCI on Chevron 5w20

Accord41500Miles.jpg

Accord41500.jpg

Below: 02 Mustang GT 12500 miles/ Yearly OCI, M15w20

Mustang12500miles.jpg

sell012.jpg

That Pathfinder is looking a bit gunky on the bolts and the corners....I'm suprised if it's had 4-5k changes.....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
That Pathfinder is looking a bit gunky on the bolts and the corners....I'm suprised if it's had 4-5k changes.....

yeah it's not pretty..I bought the truck with 100k miles and the valvetrain was very clean. I ran amsoil for the first 20k miles then chevron supreme until 185K miles with 4 arx treatments in between.. According to my UOA I have fuel dilution ,my guess was I had a leaky fuel injector which just recently triggered the CEL..

Here`s mine. Oils I`ve used........Mobil 1 15W50,Royal Purple 20W50,Valvoline VR1 20W50,Valvoline wb 20W50,Pennzoil yb 20W50. I just hit 63,000 miles.
2zic5sg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back