Tires and ageing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do tires cause more road noise as they age? Reason I ask is my Goodyear Silent Armors have about 65 000 miles (this is the last year for them, just trying to squeeze a little life until the fall when my winters go on). I have found in the last couple of weeks that I am getting more road noise. A little bit of what sounds like tires...my driveshaft has been balanced recently (a few months ago), and my front driveshaft is not turning- lockout front hubs. I quite sure there are no diff issues...
This is on my 2006 Dodge Cummins.

The compound can lose its pliability as it ages, which can effect how it impacts the road surface. The most likely reason is simply a loss of tread depth, though.

If your truck is like the other Dodge Cummins trucks my friends have owned, you probably have a bit of cupping on the tires causing the noise, due to the solid front axle and the steering design. 65k miles isn't bad though!

Yeah, I thought about the cupping...but I can't see any noticeable uneven tread wear- could be its just slight enough with the tread wear to cause the noise. I also had an alignment recently (after the ball joints went in). Maybe the tires are just past their prime.

Originally Posted By: rpn453
If your truck is like the other Dodge Cummins trucks my friends have owned, you probably have a bit of cupping on the tires causing the noise, due to the solid front axle and the steering design. 65k miles isn't bad though!

Agreed. That is pretty good...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back