8 hp briggs surging

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drug this thing out and it has not run in 10 years literally.

Its amazing that I even got it started. It runs but surges back and forth. Is it running lean? Do I need to rebuild the carb? Im open for all suggestions. Thanks for any help.

Governor springs don't cause surges. It's runnning lean. Assuming a float carb, you might get away with a general cleanup/unplugging of the carb's internals. A carb rebuild is not a bad idea.

Just went through the same thing on 6.75 briggs that had been sitting for a few years. When i got it running it had surging issue's. what i did was pulled the carb off sprayed it with cleaner pulled the needle and seat out to check blew it all out with compressed air, put it back together add some techron to the tank and let it run about 20 minutes, ran fine. The next day started it again slight surge was back, so i pulled the float bowl off and there was small particules of what looked like hard water deposits or scale, anyways sprayed the carb again cleaned the main jet with plastic wire blew it all out now it runs like a charm. But after ten years its just as easy to rebuild the carb.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back