Toyota 75w-85 Synthetic Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I just found out that my '09 toyota comes stock with 75w-85 in the front and rear diffs. Toyota even issued a TSB for older yotas to start using the stuff. Does anyone have a PDS on this stuff? Who's making it? It's crazy expensive... Lists fore $31.28/liter. I can get it for $23.50/Litre through a discount yota house. That's borderline insane. Toyota states the reason for this lube is Fuel Economy. Maybe CAFE? I'd love to see a PDS on this stuff. I wonder if it's even GL-5 rated. Castrol's 75/85 is GL-4 only.

Other issue I have is they did not mention running it in the Transfercase. So the Tcase still takes 75w-90 or a 80-90. If you are on a all out MPG war with your truck I would probably fill the Tcase with it also right??

Last edited:
Wow, this CAFE cr-ap is getting ridiculous.

I would use aftermarket gear oil, probably 75W-90 from either Amsoil, Schaeffers or Redline. Each of those oils retails for about $40 a gallon, and sometimes can be found a little cheaper than that.

Differential oil, IMO, is definitely something you want to drain and replace asap.

What engine and tranny do you you have?

I guess the issue is, if the rear end blows out, or the E-Locker breaks will that give them a way out... I'm sure they'll try it. If I go aftermarket I'll use the Synpower 75w-90 GL-5/MT-1. It's the thinnest Visc 75-90 I've found. The Castrol 75/85 GL-4 is even thinner, can't find a PDS for the Toyota stuff. Not sure if I should blow this Hippie garbage off and use the Synpower. $11.74/qt locally at Napa. How many miles will you have to drive to cover the extra cost of the fluid? It's more than 2x's the cost. Let's save .1 MPG but spend $75 to get it? Not sure the calculator makes sense of that...

Let's say base MPG of 18.5. this 75-85 gives you a 1% gain. at $2.50/gal fuel, and 30k OCI for the diffs. You'll save $40/30k. NOPE. Denied!!!

Last edited:
"Wow, this CAFE cr-ap is getting ridiculous."

It kinda is. I was reading Fords 5w-20 TSB the other day, and it quotes a 0.6% increase in fuel economy (overall for the car) by using a 5w-20 over a 5w-30.

So my 30mpg car now gets 30.18 mpg.

I'm all for progress, but at 20 bucks a liter you'll never get that money back. I wouldn't be worried about the slightly thinner oil and protection, just about my wallet.

Exactly. My diffs need changed due to break-in. Fluid is nasty. so they "need" done. Either A-pay for the $23.50/qt ($31.28/qt list) or B- Synpower 75w-90 for $11.74/qt. I can't see going past a 30k OCI in diffs.

Amsoil recommends both of their 75W-90 lubes for your application. and they guarantee their product. (and not just the refund of puchase price) I know for a fact that
Amsoil will use their clout against any dealer, manufacturer, that contests the performance of the product. Amsoil will even pay for the repair -

A good family friend was an
Amsoil Direct Jobber for 25-30 years and sold ALOT of product. He was also well known by some at corp...

so as long as Amsoil recommends that product for your application...

What kind of MPG gains are we talking 75w-85 vs their old spec of straight 90wt Dino? That would be interesting to know.

I was wondering if I could use Amsoil SVG in my 2009 Chevy
2500 Silverado? I dealer claims that nothing meets there spec for there gear lube 75W-90 (grape juice). Amsoil does have it
on there application list, but has a number in astric referencing
the GM part number.

At the risk of going along with a hijacking, I'm interested in responses to this last post. I'll be putting AMSOIL SVG 75-90 in a couple of '06 Chevy 2500 differentials in a week or so.

From everything I've read, it's an appropriate oil for that application.

Henry Ford used a 600 weight gear lube in the differentials of his early cars.
People were upset with the new 400s and 500s that came out later.

You've mentioned that previously, but the AMSOIL product lookup guide lists 75W-90 for that application.
What do you know that I don't know? Out with it Pablo!

I know a couple things. Amsoil follows the new API SAE J306 spec:

http://www.lubrizol.com/J306.aspx?id=33216&terms=J306

I know most all the GM trucks give the option of 90 or 110 per the Amsoil guide - which are both acceptable for an older/not up to the latest specification XW-90 call out. The ones that don't don't give the option aren't necessarily an error, but they are not correct.

Some people report excess noise with the NEW 75W-90 gear oils - because knowing what you just learned is just the lower vis half of the old spec.

Putting all this together - I pretty much always recommend the 75W-110 for these applications - BUT for this OP for sure 75W-90.

Well toyota is the only source for a GL-5 75w-85. I found a ton of other manfactures but they're all GL-4. This is basically a custom blended gear oil for toyota/lexus. So they can save "fuel" and raise CAFE mpg's. my local dealer wants $31.xx/liter. W/out LSD additives. the one with LSD stuff cost 2x's as much.

I replaced the 75w85 GL5 with M1 75w90 in newer Tundras and Highlanders. Owners have not noticed the 1 less mile traveled on each full tank of gas yet. Plus, according to the Amsoil gear oil test, it'll turn into an 85wt in no time :)

Whats great is that Toyota has a PN for LSD and non-LSD applications. So, if someone wants to try the non-LSD in a manual tranny, might be a good option for a thinner 85wt well protecting GL5 gear oil, compared to a GL4 90wt.

85wt, thats just too thick. How about a GL5 gear oil thinner then DexronVI???

Superlight(not to be confused with shockproof):
http://www.redlineoil.com/pdf/5.pdf

Blend your own by diluting either 75w90 Redline gear oil with their lightweight!!!

that's a good idea. 50/50 of lightweight and 75-90NS would work nice. I've used their Shock proof oils before. I used their Heavy Dutyiest of the 3 in a Detroit Toyota rearend. It was a bit overkill. I don't think those oils are for long term use ya know, like 100k OCI. I also used their MT90 my Supra and 4runner manual transmissions. Best oil out there. They used to grind 2nd gear with other lubes but worked great with MT90. Really might go the Redline route... dam it man. you got me thinking about something else now. [censored], it's cheaper than Synpower.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back