Motorcraft gold coolent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to troubleshoot a problem in a 2003 F150. It uses motorcraft gold coolent. Does anyone know how much POTASSIUM and sodium it contains?

Thanks

Why? Is it having cardiac problems?
LOL.gif

I am sorry that I can't help you with your question but since you brought up Motorcraft Gold Coolant I was told by my Ford dealer to change it out at 60K miles not the 100K miles that Ford recommends...Since I plan on keeping my Crown Vic to 300K miles it sounds like a good idea...Especially in this jungle heat and traffic.

The green stuff on my older cars I used to dump out at 30K miles.

The dealer was most likely looking to empty your pockets and not protecting your car.

That said, I do quick drain and refils on my Ford every 30k or so using G-05...as like posted above, its easy and cheap.

The G-05 in my mom's Jeep Grand Cherokee looked okay when it was 3 years old and had 55,000 miles on it, but after I drained and filled the system, the car ran much better, and the coolant reservoir was cleaner.

The Ford dealer was not trying to be dishonest.

Ford Gold is just another G-05.

I will say this about G-05...I get scale buildup in my overflow bottle. Its bad enough these plastic bottles turn yellow in no time, but this scale buildup is really ugly. I spent a couple days trying to clean it out, but the baffles kept getting in the way.
crushed ice and salt, no go...I even tried sand, and that worked pretty well but was a pain to rinse out.

So, I said skrew it and painted the darn thing flat black....looks great lol. Should have done that to start with and I wouldn't have cared about the scale.
I am pretty sure this is caused by the silicate content in G-05. That said, I haven't looked at enough Foci to see if its a widespread problem, or a result of me switching the motorcraft coolant out at 30k, and refilling with Zerex brand G-05. Perhaps the two didn't mix well...I don't know (they should have).

My '06 Fusion's overflow bottle looks fine. I did three drain 'n fills with Xerex G-05 this spring to replace the three yr old factory fill (including burping the system each time via the bleed valve).

I was surprised to see that my new '11 Mercury Milan calls for the first coolant change at 105,000 miles, then every 45,000 miles thereafter. Also, I can find NO recommendation to ever change the fuel filter or automatic transaxle fluid. I'm currently changing the oil at 5,000 mile intervals, but the next oil change which is at 15,000 miles, I plan to switch to the 7,500 mile intervals the factory recommends. That would mesh better with tire rotation recommendations.

I agree that the dealer typically recommends increased servicing primarily to line their pockets. My dealer is still recommending 3,000 mile OCI's. Sorry folks, that's once a month for me, and its not gonna happen. On my previous car, the dealer "strongly recommended" fuel filter changes every 15,000 miles, along with new wiper blades, and some miracle fuel system cleaner dumped in the gas tank.

I'm not sure that Motorcraft Gold/G-05 uses potassium but it does conain sodium and 3,000 ppm sodium would be a ball park figure for concentrate. How would knowing the potassium and sodium level diagnosis your coolant issue?

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
get the [censored] g05 stuff out and put in final charge..go5 leaves alot of deposits one of the reasons ford not using it anymore.

What do you use in your vehicles?

100_1488.jpg

As you can see the area around the water pump(I changed it recently for bearing failure) is very clean. I have yet to replace the coolant through out the system, but I did top off with ST all purpose. This is on the Fusion.

Last edited:
If properly maintained Ford Gold/Zerex G-05 is a fine coolant. If run for too long, run too hot or mixed with another coolant you get...

IMG_0503.jpg

That is FoMoCo Gold mixed with a few gallons of green...the prior owner's idea of a flush. The degas bottle had nice layer of nastiness on it. Flushed, cleaned and refilled with Zerex G-05 and DCA4 and it has been fine.

When I drained/filled my Focus after I got it, I used Peak Global. Got it for like $10/gal at 7-11 nearby. I had lots of scale, etc in my overflow, so I cleaned it out the best I could - I actually think it runs cooler now then when I got it. The dummy gauge on the dash is tad under the halfway point. Scangauge temps are about 170-190 dependant on speeds/load.

Originally Posted By: rufushusky
If ... run too hot

What's considered "too hot"?
21.gif
Mine ranges from 192 - 216 (only very shortly if stuck in traffic, otherwise fan kicks in at 212 degree) degrees on a daily basis. Average is about 200. But I replace my G-05 annually and flush/mix it only with distilled water.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Originally Posted By: rufushusky
If ... run too hot

What's considered "too hot"?
21.gif
Mine ranges from 192 - 216 (only very shortly if stuck in traffic, otherwise fan kicks in at 212 degree) degrees on a daily basis. Average is about 200. But I replace my G-05 annually and flush/mix it only with distilled water.

IMHO 225-245 for long periods of time, depending on the vehicle of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back