0 w20 motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all. i just bought a 2010 camry and the manual states i have to use 0 w20 oil. is this a synthetic oil only or does "regular" oil come in this weight too??? what harm could i do if i used 5 w20??

Manual states you should use 0w-20.

I have yet to see a conventional 0w-20, so for now you would have to buy a synthetic.

But, it will certainly do no harm to use a 5w-20, this is what most dealers are doing, and this is probably what I would do if I had the car.

Wow, I have a 09 Corolla that specifies 0w20 or 5w20, and I've been running some 5w20, but mostly 5w30 or 0w30 M1 with no problems at all. Does the 2010 actually have a different engine than the 09's? If it's the same, I wouldn't hesitate to use 5w20 if it were my car, especially in the summer. I can't believe Toyota would spec a synthetic only oil for such a common automobile. The new Camry's are really nice, but it's not like it's a Ferrari, you shouldn't have to use synthetic if you don't want to. There are going to be alot of [censored] off soccer moms when they take their car in for a $60 oil change when their old Camry was $25!

Isn't 0w20 technically impossible for a grp II? For that matter, isn't 5w20 very difficult for grp II w/o some blend (whether the blend is advertised or not)?

If that's a hybrid, the 0w20 might be the way to go.
Welcome to Bitog phillycop.

Last edited:
M1 0w-20 has a viscosity index of 171. That's a stretch for a Dino, but not out of the question. Most 5w-30's are around 160.

It's probably harder to make a high VI with group 2 or 2+ and have it not shear quickly, which is obviously a concern with a pretty thin oil.

But I imagine that 90+ percent of 1RE and 2RE engines which recommend 0w-20 will be running a conventional 5w-20 after their first change.

Up until now, all 0Wxx are synthetic only. The only 0W20 oil can be found over the counter at most auto-part stores is Mobil 1. Other 0W20 brands can be found at Napa or specialty parts stores.

I would use conventional 5W20 for the recommended OCI of 5k miles.

phillycop, does the manual state you HAVE to use 0w-20, or does it use words like "recommended" or "preferred"? My brother-in-law's '09 Corolla says 0W-20 is preferred but that 5W-20 is perfectly acceptable.

To answer your second question, unless the manual states very clearly that 0W-20 is mandatory, there is NO harm in using 5W-20.

ok. to answer a few questions:
the engine is a 2.5l i-4 (2AR-FE), not hybrid. on the SE model the horsepower was increased to 179.
what the manual states is:"recommended viscosity: SAE 0w-20" and goes on to say that "if SAE 0W-20 is not available, SAE 5-20 may be used, however, it MUST be replaced with SAE 0w-20 at the next oil change".Of course they also say to use "toyota genuine motor oil".....yeah, right......

You're fine running the 5W-20, you'll do no harm doing so. AFAIK, that's only available in synthetic oils.

Many people like PP in that grade, they get it at
oil dash store dot com

Welcome to Bitog :)

welcome2.gif

One of the posters here uses 0w20 in his back spec'd Ford. I remember him posting that the only drawback (as has been said) was that it is currently only available in synthetic. IIRC, he is using Mobil 1 in that weight. Wallyworld most recent price $22 a 5qt. jug.

I don't like to go against the manufacturers recommendation especially on a vehicle under warranty. That said, I doubt you would do any damage running 5w20. However, with the synthetic 0w20 you should be able to run extended OCI's, if you're so inclined.

Congrats on the new vehicle. Welcome aboard.

No extended OCI's until 60,000 miles when the factory warranty is up. I believe Toyota warranty still requires 5000 mile oil changes.

If you want to go with the 0w-20 grade, yes, you can get cases of six quarts of PP (Pennzoil Platinum syn) from oil-store - dot - com. Just google them. Their price, including shipping to your door, works out to about $5.35 per quart. More than good dinos, but less than many syns. If you're OK with 5w-20, you have more choices. The WM stores in my area carry five qt jugs of PP 5w-20 for only $20 (or $4 per qt), absolutely outstanding for a syn. Or you can use one of the many good dino 5w-20 like Havoline or Shell.

Enjoy the new Camry, and
WelcomePlane.gif

Originally Posted By: phillycop369

what the manual states is:"recommended viscosity: SAE 0w-20" and goes on to say that "if SAE 0W-20 is not available, SAE 5-20 may be used, however, it MUST be replaced with SAE 0w-20 at the next oil change"

This is the specific language required by EPA if MPG was tested with 0W20.

The engine will not see a difference between 0W20 and 5W20 (or even 5W30) unless you live in Alaska.

Yeah. You're right. When Ford did the 5w-20 deal, the EPA relentlessly hammered out the conditions for approval for CAFE certification. "furthermore, Ford must reasonably assure that the end user gets the impression that they will suffer the pain of death for not following the recommendation to use the qualifying oil".

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

what the manual states is:"recommended viscosity: SAE 0w-20" and goes on to say that "if SAE 0W-20 is not available, SAE 5-20 may be used, however, it MUST be replaced with SAE 0w-20 at the next oil change"

This is the specific language required by EPA if MPG was tested with 0W20.

The engine will not see a difference between 0W20 and 5W20 (or even 5W30) unless you live in Alaska.

Lets not exaggerate the point. A 5W-30 is significantly more viscous than a 20 wt oil even at 0C.

ok. to answer a few questions:
the engine is a 2.5l i-4 (2AR-FE), not hybrid. on the SE model the horsepower was increased to 179.
what the manual states is:"recommended viscosity: SAE 0w-20" and goes on to say that "if SAE 0W-20 is not available, SAE 5-20 may be used, however, it MUST be replaced with SAE 0w-20 at the next oil change".Of course they also say to use "toyota genuine motor oil".....yeah, right......

post a pic of the engine. would love to see it. is it VVT on inlet and outlet?

0W-20 is now readily available. You buy the car, you buy the oil. It's just not that tough. For a relatively nominal fee you can have a full case delivered to your door.

If you've seen the 2az-fe, you've seen the new 2.5 and 2.7's. Different oil pump, VVT on both, dual length intake runners... the rest of the engine is about the same.

I was disappointed when it came out there wasn't much info available, which is odd for me since on Hondas there are usually complete teardowns a few weeks after a new engine comes out. I think it's because it was so similar (the block is basically the same), and didn't really come on the scene in a performance car. I'm sure if it debuted on the TC we'd see some internals, but few people put low compression pistons and blowers on a 4cyl Highlander.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back