Is Pennzoil recycled oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read somewhere that in north america a lot of oil companies believe that the american public likes their oil to be gold/amber in color(I think those are the same colors, my color vision is poor). Personally, I wouldn't care if I was buying motor oil with base stocks recycled from 10 year old McDonald's fryer grease as long as the product performed -- and Pennzoil does!! And I love the bright yellow bottle(I can see that!).

Dave it says ILSAC approved but it doesn't say ILSAC GF-4 approved, it could be gf 1. gf 2. It say API SM but that could mean it meets the protection requirments of API SM. I could not use this product in a car or truck that i just spent 35,000 dollars for.

drums57 click on passager motor oil SL, SM. it says GF-4. I do agree with you I wont use the oil unless the manufacture clearly states in writing that this will not void the warrenty.

[ September 16, 2005, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: dave1251 ]

Dave you are correct it says GF-4, i never heard of this product. I can tell you this , a lot of goverment and state fleets require that they use re-refined engine oils,this co. may say that it is re-refined when it really is virgin crud who's going to test the oil to see if they are lying. I think it would cost more in additives to get a re-refined base oil to pass these test then it would to buy virgin crude and the approriate additive package.

ah the internet

quote:

A friend of mine who lives in the upstairs dorm from me used to work or still does, I'm not sure? at this oil change place. It wasn't a jiffy lube kinda deal but it was something along those lines.

Phew.......I thought you were gonna say he's an Amsoil dealer
smile.gif

And people wonder why nobody knows nothing about no oil nohow...

So, now, basestock = colorless
additives= add color and necessary agents
color of oil = some degree of amber (unless other wise specified)

Have I missed anything here...oh yes:

Pennzoil = virgin base stocks
banghead.gif

quote:

Originally posted by drums57:
Dave you are correct it says GF-4, i never heard of this product. I can tell you this , a lot of goverment and state fleets require that they use re-refined engine oils,this co. may say that it is re-refined when it really is virgin crud who's going to test the oil to see if they are lying. I think it would cost more in additives to get a re-refined base oil to pass these test then it would to buy virgin crude and the approriate additive package.

Actually re refined oils now days are hydro treated and are close to a GPII in quality they require no additional cost to formulate a high quality GF-4 type oil.
bruce

quote:

Originally posted by HondaMan:
My uncle in Corpus Christi, Texas has worked for Valero since 1985. Valero is the nation's largest independent refiner.
They take on work from EVERYONE.
He has always told me that with the heavy oil crackers they have, Valero can refine or re-refine what no one else wants and then resell the product back at profit to the originator.

Flame away, but he has always maintained that most dino product on the shelf has been re-refined, including PZ.

Wrong Valero does not take in DRAIN oil and re refine it they may run some high sulfur crude or wet salty crude but NO drain oil and drain oil is what is re refined. he may run a cat cracker but that does not with all due respect make him a formulator or blender and to say that all PCMO's on the shelf are re refined is flat out stupid how does he know what I or anyone else use?????
I don't.

Bruce

quote:

Originally posted by drums57:
Pennzoil is not made from re-refined oil, it would be almost impossible to pass ILSAC GF-4 API SM using re-refined base stocks.

Sorry but newer hydrotreated base stock that are re refined WILL pass and are being made today.
But I do have to say that the volitily noack is a hard one to meet with re refined but it is done.
bruce

also remember that with most oils now going to GPII GPIII and pao that in time by default the better re refiners will be makeing or cleaning up GPIII oil and there product will reflect that.
bruce

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
ah the internet

quote:

A friend of mine who lives in the upstairs dorm from me used to work or still does, I'm not sure? at this oil change place. It wasn't a jiffy lube kinda deal but it was something along those lines.

Phew.......I thought you were gonna say he's an Amsoil dealer
smile.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

there ae 3 that come to mind Evergreen in Newark California and Saftey Kleen in ? Illinois and Mohawk In Vancover BC there are more popping up but I know them. And I have seen over the years there quality improve based on better "feed Stock" meaning more speedy change places using GPII, GPIII oils the re refiner "cleans" that up and you have basicly a GPII oil again BUT quality will varry time to time since feed sources can and do change. Biggest I think is Saftey Kleen with 2 or 3 plants running.
bruce

If the re-refined oil meets or exceeds the engine manufacturers' requirements, and it is cost effective, I am all for it. Why not? Either that or burn it in shop heaters, but it is a waste to throw it away.

Fluid colors were sort of standardised, brown, engine oil, red, tranny fluid, green anti-freeze.
I have a friend who usd to drive a semi, and he hauled tanks of creosote to be used a colorant in engine oil.

Dont believe everything that you read
You get a pocket violation and a maggot on your sleeve
So shave your face with some mace in the dark
Savin all your food stamps and burnin down the trailer park
Yo...Cut It.

Etc......

quote:

he hauled tanks of creosote to be used a colorant in engine oil.

Huh? Joking, right?
grin.gif

Rerefined oil is similar to refined crude. Only the source is different.

Recycling (rerefining) to obtain fuels, base oils, and heavy distillates, just makes sense.

And as Bruce said, as the virgin lube base stock goes to Group II, II+, and III, the quality of the rerefined oil should be even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back