Help me pick lawn mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
I'd buy 2 $175 ones and leave one in the box. Use one to do what you need and in 15 years, when it wears out, unbox the other one.
grin2.gif
Now that is thinking outside the box!...Not a half-bad idea really...
No... That's thinkin' with yer Dipstick JIMMY! *WHIP*
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
Nothing wrong with a Briggs!

+++ 1 their
grin2.gif

All the Briggs we have owned have been nothing short of Excellent.

My dad has 4.5HP mower that is almost 30 years old that has thousands of hours on it and runs very well. It gets an oil change every 5-10 years even though it sees a beating every season.

We also rebuilt a Briggs in a tractor that threw a rod through the block. We welded the block, replaced the rod and filed down the crank a tad and it's back together and running fine!

We have a 22HP Brigs in the John Deer with already 100 Hours on it and it runs like a champ!

So I guess I would have to second lexus114's comment above!

Originally Posted By: Pete591
Lowes has the Commercial John deere 21" with zero turn wheels on yhe front and it's on clearance. It looks well made. 8.75 HP briggs OHV with primer.

Its now $397 from $525

Bags/has a side discharge chute that comes down if the bagging chute is removed. Mulch kit? Probably available?

Too bad
frown.gif
. It did not on sale in my area.

If you do a lot of bagging and have a hilly yard, you will not like the FWD.

Otherwise, I'd bet you'll like it.

Good luck and let us know what you get!

My mower is 14 years old, 3.5 h.p briggs classic engine,changed the plug once,used oil ranging from 5w30 to 15w50, changed one diaphram in the carb and thats it. Burns no oil, starts first pull every time,i cut two 50 by 100 lots every five days. after every use i clean under the deck. Honestly i will get sick of the mower before it wears out. With minimal maintence even a cheap mower like mine will last countless hours of cutting. i also use this mower for bagging and mulching leaves, because i HATE raking. From new i have always used gas mixed around 800:1 ratio with two cycle marine oil, and yes this is a four stroke engine, did this benefit the engine any who knows?.

Last edited:
Avoid the walmart mowers.

They make one with a honda motor, and one with a briggs motor under their house name.

The mower falls apart (metal handles break in half, wheels break off, etc)..

The briggs motor still runs fine!

I have one from wallys that is about 5 years old, and the contraption looks like something from a hillbilly. I put wheels on it from a 1970s mower that I found in my grandmothers garage, and the handle from the same 70's motor.

I bought a Snapper self propelled from Home Depot 10 years ago. It is still gong strong and the 6HP engine works great. It is one of those I/C series.

I would not have bought a Troy-Bilt if I had known that the company was going downhill. I have a Troy-Bilt with the Honda engine. It runs great but the company does seem to be going south fast.

If I had known that was going to happen I would have paid extra for a Honda lawnmower. Honda is hard to beat.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I would not have bought a Troy-Bilt if I had known that the company was going downhill. I have a Troy-Bilt with the Honda engine. It runs great but the company does seem to be going south fast.

If I had known that was going to happen I would have paid extra for a Honda lawnmower. Honda is hard to beat.

They should have stuck with roto-tillers!! they made the best.

Honda mowers are great.... Best Move I made 6 years ago. I had a Snapper years ago granted it was old but it would bog down and it just was not as good as this Honda

Originally Posted By: Mystic

+1

The transmission on my 1 year old self-propel Troy Bilt went out yesterday...now it grinds and jerks without moving.

Originally Posted By: tlmprnpg
Sear has Craftman 21" FWD Honda machine on sales for $289. I might get it.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07137683000P?vName=&cName=&sName=&mv=cmp#reviewsWrap

Just used it yesterday. Horrible.

It started work for 10 minutes. Then it struggled and won't start. I tried several times to make it start again. Finally it works alright. I'm not confident on it but I guess it may need run-in time.

The bag design is the worse. It did not connect well with the mower and it'd blow grass to you when mowing. The bag cannot open from the other side like my old Murrey. So, it took long time to empty bag.

I will give it a change for few weeks before decide if I want to refund it.

Last edited:
I bought a Toro last year at HD. Can't remember the model, but it was about $350. RWD, good mulcher, easy to start; what's not to like?

It was a Consumer Reports best buy, iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back