Supertech vs Mobil1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I need to get some info from you. I have a 2003 Durango with the 4.7 liter engine. I have always used M1 since day 1. Recently, after the gas price hikes I went to Wally World and bought some Supertech Synthetic oil. I am trying to save cash until the gas prices go down. I need to know from you all how good this oil really is. I am planning on keeping my truck for 10 years and I need to know if this synth oil is really going to help me. Is it godd enough is what I need to know and how it compares to M1.

TIA

Thunderchild
cheers.gif

I like the Supertech offerings. The dino here in Ma is Exxon/Mobile. I use it for 3-4K changes.

The WPP Supertech Full synth I just picked up (10W30) is SM ILSAC GF4. Good enough for me and 5-6K oil changes.

quote:

Originally posted by Zaedock:

The WPP Supertech Full synth I just picked up (10W30) is SM ILSAC GF4. Good enough for me and 5-6K oil changes. [/QB]

Its also A3 rated according to the container.

ZAEDOCK--I'm with you--here in RI it's also Exxon/Mobil and it's a good deal at .97/quart in the 5 quart jugs--just like you said, it's great for 3-4k OCI--good oil cheap!

I spoke to one of the main guys at Warren several months back. Warren is still making ALL of the Walmart synthetics and semi-syns--nationwide.

As mentioned, XOM, Pennzoil/QS, and Warren are the three makers of the ST dinos.

Dan

It's a pretty good Group III based oil, quality probably somewhere between the blends and M1, and priced lower than most blends ($12 for 5 qts.) I wouldn't be afraid to use it. It is ACEA rated. Where I live it is made by Warren Distribution.

Here is a link to their own brand of synthetic, but the stuff at WalMart meets the newer SM/GF-4. The Warren page is probably just not up to date. ST syn is probably similar to the latest Warren/Mag1 full synthetic.

Mag1 Synthetic

If your bottles look like the one in the picture and have a code starting with a "W" then you have the Warren Distribution oil. In some parts of the country it might be made by someone else.

Quick answer. Check the VOA's and UOA's and see what you can find. I have no experience with Supertech but it's probably good enough. I doubt up to M1 standards from what I remember. Someone listed a billion VOA's and you can find it if you look.

...but speeking for myself, you understand,...I am draining the last of the M1 0w40 tomorrow @ 5K and finally getting into my huge stash of '04 GC. The odo-meter turned 200,000 this morning on my '90 Toyota V6 4x4.

Happy trails.

I used to use Mobil One until it just got to expensive for practical use. I now use the Supertech Full synthetic(probably hydrocracked). My Chevy truck(5.7L) now has over 210,000 miles on this stuff and will pass the emissions test(treadmill type) with no problems. In fact,the engine runs,sounds like new and I expect it to make another 200,000. I have run these Supertech synthetic oils as far as 15,000 miles(life of the oil filter) between changes and have found no problems doing so. I was also using the Supertech filters as they are made by AC-Delco, but I won't buy the supertech filters anymore because AC-Delco made a design change to their filters which I don't like. Purolator or it's ProLine(PepBoys brand)clone is what I am now using on all my vehicles.

I think SuperTech is OK oil for the money.

On paper M1 is a better oil. But as we know here the paper is often wrong.

Princess K - I would have loved to see the UOA at 15K with ST.

I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade so oil analysis is something I'm very familiar with. I sent in for analysis a sample of 15,000 mile Supertech 10w-30 one time to compare it to another oil sample I had sent in before. It showed no difference from a sample of 7,000 mile Mobil One that came from a Mazda truck(315,000 miles before it got side swiped) that I used to own.

quote:

Originally posted by PRINCESS KIDAGAKASH:
I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade so oil analysis is something I'm very familiar with. I sent in for analysis a sample of 15,000 mile Supertech 10w-30 one time to compare it to another oil sample I had sent in before. It showed no difference from a sample of 7,000 mile Mobil One that came from a Mazda truck(315,000 miles before it got side swiped) that I used to own.

Do you work in general or commercial avaition?

From PrincessK:
quote:

I sent in for analysis a sample of 15,000 mile Supertech 10w-30 one time to compare it to another oil sample I had sent in before. It showed no difference from a sample of 7,000 mile Mobil One that came from a Mazda truck...

Please post these results.

Thanks everyone for the responses! I am now sure that I will be using this oil from now on in my truck. I was using the 5w-40 T&S and it seemed that my truck was a little sluggish. Now with the Supertech Synthetic 10w-30 it runs alot better. I do also believe that this will be great oil for the winter. We have not had real harsh/cold winters lately here in Maryland so I think that this oil will work just fine. Oh, I also am using the Amsoil oversized SDF-15 oil filter if anyone wanted to know. And, sorry I am just getting back to you. I had to go out of town on business.

One problem I find with ST synthetic is availability. Right now my local WM has the 10w30
available but not 5w30. I'm not even sure they are making 5w30 anymore. It is a hit or miss thing when you go to WM looking for ST syn.

quote:

Originally posted by pbm:
One problem I find with ST synthetic is availability. Right now my local WM has the 10w30
available but not 5w30. I'm not even sure they are making 5w30 anymore. It is a hit or miss thing when you go to WM looking for ST syn.

Alot of times with Wal*Mart products, looking for items on Weds-Thurs may net it .... Fri-Sat-Sun won't! They do major shelf re-stocking on Mondays & Tuesdays.

Well I just left Wally World here in Waldorf MD. I stocked up with 4 jugs of the ST full synthetic. I am going to keep this oil in my truck from now on.

Another question for you all who are very knowledgable about these things. I am using Amsoil filters. The SDF-15 to be exact. At around $12.00 a pop I am looking to buy something that is cheaper but works well with my 5000 mile OCI's. Does the Super Tech filter fill this bill or what would you recommend for me? To reiterate, I am driving a 2003 Dodge Durango with the 4.7 liter motor. 51,000 miles as of yesterday. Thanks in advance.

If your part number is the very common Fram PH16 you can run a Supertech ST16 or ST8 oversize (inch longer) if you have room. Or a motorcraft FL1A for a buck extra, again, oversize. I checked your ride on rockauto.com and the PH16 is the filter that came up which is not a suprise for Dodge trucks. I run the ST8 on my dakota and it looks very nice there.
tongue.gif

I have used the ST 5w30 syn through winters here and been happy with its cold crankability. I agree with the others that WM is hit-or-miss stocking the stuff. Some springs you can get lucky and get it for $2/qt on clearance.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back