Manual states 5w20 or 10w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
jdblya - We can't determine an admission that 10-30 is better because of the manual's statements. That is a real stretch.

It appears that for 98% of driving, the 5-20 is better. Maybe 99% in your area.

For whatever reason, I just feel more comfortable with the Amsoil 0w30 oil over the 5w20. It may be that when I look at the specs, it offers better protection, or it just be that 30w is stuck in everyones head (or at least mine, growing up everything was 30w). All I know is that I drive the car only in the summer, and drive it pretty hard and it just gives me piece of mind.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
jdblya - We can't determine an admission that 10-30 is better because of the manual's statements. That is a real stretch.

It appears that for 98% of driving, the 5-20 is better. Maybe 99% in your area.

Also, it says "for optimal fuel economy and cold starting". 1% 2% Better fuel economy would be extremely optimistic. Not to mention, that there is prob less dray with a high quality 0w30 than there is in a conventional 5w20. Plus, I'm still pretty sure that 0w flows better on cold starting than does 5w

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: MarkC
Someone who knows about such things begs to differ, and believes that a good 5W20 provides much better wear protection than a 5W30....

Not to insult you in any way but how do you know that?

Got it from a well-respected person who knows what he's talking about, based on things other than opinions or guesses.
Not to sound like a [censored], but that's all I can say.

0w's are ideal because they run the closest to operating temp when cooled. 90% of engine wear happens at start-up. Auto mans would run it but its only made in the syn flavor. $$$

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Good to know there's so many posters, some new and psychic, who know more than the car manfacturers.
smirk2.gif

If they knew so much, then perhaps there wouldn't be recall notices would there?
21.gif

Got it from a well-respected person who knows what he's talking about, based on things other than opinions or guesses.

No insult intended either, but since you provide no proof or statistics (I.E. Name or "things based on"), it would seem your posting is as heresay as the rest of the opinions. please show us...
11.gif

My guess is the person mentioned here is T. D.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

My oil choice is based on recommendations by D. H.
grin2.gif

That's just a commonwealth loyalty thing
grin2.gif

With the utmost respect for our accomplished and heralded member from Down Under, he lives in 40+ land. The mundanes really never interested him.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
That's just a commonwealth loyalty thing
grin2.gif

With the utmost respect for our accomplished and heralded member from Down Under, he lives in 40+ land. The mundanes really never interested him.

We all bow to the Queen Guvnah!!!
08.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

I can say no more.
grin2.gif

Someone who knows about such things begs to differ, and believes that a good 5W20 provides much better wear protection than a 5W30....

I would love to hear how a quality 20wt provides more protection than a quality 30wt. I think the best you could hope for is the same protection. Unless we're talking about that microsecond difference in time to pressure with the already lubed bearings and cylinders.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

My oil choice is based on recommendations by D. H.
grin2.gif

And I assume that's not Dr Haas lol.

Doug is one of those guys that if he told me a 0w-10 would provide the best protection, I would probably run it. Of course he would never say that because we know a 30wt is ideal for my car.
27.gif

of course 30wt is ideal for your car ..and that is aggressively thin for the application. I don't know of anyone that would recomend a 20wt for your BGN. Your Acura TL...What does the manual say?

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

I would love to hear how a quality 20wt provides more protection than a quality 30wt. I think the best you could hope for is the same protection. Unless we're talking about that microsecond difference in time to pressure with the already lubed bearings and cylinders.

Well, if you talk with the right people, maybe they'll tell you.

Maybe 20's are better built. Maybe they actually stay in grade, unlike many 5W30's.
Maybe someone who looks at many, many UOA's is in a better position to say than someone who just guesses.

Or maybe not.

Maybe 20's are better built. Maybe they actually stay in grade, unlike many 5W30's.
Maybe someone who looks at many, many UOA's is in a better position to say than someone who just guesses.

Or maybe not.

You won't catch me running a 5w-30 but there's nothing wrong with a quality one. I don't look to UOAs to measure wear. They mean nothing as is evidenced by teardowns with a terribly worn out engine producing ok UOAs. I can state this over and over and guys will still ignore it. Use them for trending an engine over it's lifetime but I have absolutely 0 faith in a single UOA whether is shows 0 wear or 999ppm.

Who exactly are the "right" people?

Or maybe not.

You won't catch me running a 5w-30 but there's nothing wrong with a quality one. I don't look to UOAs to measure wear. They mean nothing as is evidenced by teardowns with a terribly worn out engine producing ok UOAs. I can state this over and over and guys will still ignore it. Use them for trending an engine over it's lifetime but I have absolutely 0 faith in a single UOA whether is shows 0 wear or 999ppm.

My idea of the "right" person is Doug. A guy with probably 10+ million Km's under his belt of trending and tracking UOA's and oil brands in concert with tear-down testing.

He stated that single-pass UOA's are essentially useless for measuring wear. His explanation makes perfect sense. Nobody wants to hear it is the real issue..........

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
of course 30wt is ideal for your car ..and that is aggressively thin for the application. I don't know of anyone that would recomend a 20wt for your BGN. Your Acura TL...What does the manual say?

LOL. Twice a 30 wt destroyed my engine in very short order. It needs a 20w-50 to live. Again, it's a mostly stock bottom end, shows evidence of crank flex and center main caps walking (which probably goes along with the crank flex), and I'm sure everything flexing like it does probably increases the need for something heavier. FWIW, my dad uses a 40wt syn in his nearly 1,000hp GN, obviously with a 4 bolt block, forged crank, etc., and it lives just fine on it. Wow, did I just ramble or what lol.

The TL recommends a 5w-20 but it's operated continuously in a 100 degree summer and very mild winters so the 10w-30 is not at all out of the question.

I drained the scorching straight 30wt out of it today and it looked like water.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Or maybe not.

My idea of the "right" person is Doug. A guy with probably 10+ million Km's under his belt of trending and tracking UOA's and oil brands in concert with tear-down testing.

He stated that single-pass UOA's are essentially useless for measuring wear. His explanation makes perfect sense. Nobody wants to hear it is the real issue..........

I put a lot of faith into what Doug has to say. I doubt anyone on this board or any 5 people for that matter could match his real world experience and research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back