Manual states 5w20 or 10w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My owners manual states use 5w20, or 10w30 oil. Does not even mention 5w30. I'm guessing that is a perfect example of a manufacturer suggesting 5w20 to get the highest fuel economy out of an engine, while also admitting that the 30 weight oil is really a better oil for their engine?

Either way, I've been using 0w30 and and assume that there is no reason I should have any problems.

Originally Posted By: MarkC
Someone who knows about such things begs to differ, and believes that a good 5W20 provides much better wear protection than a 5W30....

Not to insult you in any way but how do you know that?

this calls for some 20w-60...

Seriously, those "thin" oils are only for fuel economy. My neighbor puts 0w-40 in his benz, and I keep telling him its going to explode!!!! The stuff is like water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Doesn't your manual state "below 100F" for the 5w-20?

This is from the service manual
--------------------------------------------------

NOTE:
SAE 5W-20 engine oil is strongly recommended for optimum fuel economy and cold starting. If the ambient temperature
is not within the usable temperature range of SAE 5W-20 shown in the above illustration, use SAE 10W-30 engine oil.=

---------------------------------------------------

On the picture is shows 100deg F down 5w20 and then 0deg F up 10w-30. So to me that means if you are in any temperature that is above 0deg F than 10w30 is a better choice. You never know when you are going to run into one of those hot summer days =)

if that is what Mercedes
Originally Posted By: pzev

Seriously, those "thin" oils are only for fuel economy. My neighbor puts 0w-40 in his benz, and I keep telling him its going to explode!!!! The stuff is like water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would think that if Benz says to use 0w-40, than that is what you should use. I'm pretty sure (don't quote me, this is someone else's expertise) that most European multi-grade oils meet European specs which are much harder to pass than API ratings, and that it should be good for his engine.

Originally Posted By: MarkC
Someone who knows about such things begs to differ, and believes that a good 5W20 provides much better wear protection than a 5W30....

Are you saying a good 5w20 provides better wear protection than a horrible junk 5w30 oil from a bottle that says "OIL" ?

Quote:
On the picture is shows 100deg F down 5w20 and then 0deg F up 10w-30. So to me that means if you are in any temperature that is above 0deg F than 10w30 is a better choice. You never know when you are going to run into one of those hot summer days =)

Well, you were told to be prepared for anything ..so I guess a stray 100F day is in there somewhere.

I on the the other hand ..tend to travel light.

13.jpg

Originally Posted By: tig1
The 5-20 thing is about CAFE not better protection.

...not about cold weather service? How about short trips?

imo, 5w-20, 5w-30 and 10w-30 represent the ideal CLIMATIC grades.

Originally Posted By: Jdblya
if that is what Mercedes

I would think that if Benz says to use 0w-40, than that is what you should use. I'm pretty sure (don't quote me, this is someone else's expertise) that most European multi-grade oils meet European specs which are much harder to pass than API ratings, and that it should be good for his engine.

I was simply making fun of a topic that seems to come up 20 times a day.
ow-40 like water? lol...

Good to know there's so many posters, some new and psychic, who know more than the car manfacturers.
smirk2.gif

Not sure the purpose of this thread other than the typical editorial comment(s) regarding the manufacturers recommendation of Xw20 oils. Never saw a question, just speculation ie. guess.

As GA said, if your concerned about those multiple 100+ degree days, better go with that advanced 10w30 just to be on the safe side.
wink.gif

I was simply making fun of a topic that seems to come up 20 times a day.
ow-40 like water? lol...

LOL seems everytime a 20wt oil is mentioned along with a 30wt the thick vs. thin wars begin. If it were my car and I was worried about 100* weather then I would run the suggested 30wt for the summer and run the 20wt in the winter. In reality the 20wt would work well year round. YMMV

20wt, thats thinner than water!!!!! For the summer I'll use a straight 50 weight, and for the winter I'll use a 20w-60, becuase you take 20-60 and you get -40...and it gets about that cold where I live....

20wt, thats thinner than water!!!!! For the summer I'll use a straight 50 weight, and for the winter I'll use a 20w-60, becuase you take 20-60 and you get -40...and it gets about that cold where I live....

This post reminds me of saaber1's sig line :)

jdblya - We can't determine an admission that 10-30 is better because of the manual's statements. That is a real stretch.

It appears that for 98% of driving, the 5-20 is better. Maybe 99% in your area.

0W-30 is a fine choice, perfectly safe.

3+ UOA's in a row with the same oil every time would be the only way to compare the two weights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back