D902-E 3 cyl. diesel engine. It's installed in a Grasshopper
lawn mower (722D).

Lube= Amsoil ACD 10w30/SAE30

Sump Capacity= Approx. 6 Quarts

Filtration= Amsoil full-flow EaO-15 and Amsoil Bypass EaBP-90

Also installed= Amsoiler pre-luber

Unit Time= 1500 hours

lube time= 250 hours/5 months

filter time (both filters)= 500 hours/8 months (bypass still gets hot to the touch)

makeup oil= negligible amount

lube change= no

filter change= no

IRON__9

CHROMIUM__1

ALUMINUM__1

SILICON__4

SODIUM__3

POTASSIUM__1

BORON__2

MAGNESIUM__10

CALCIUM__3738

PHOSPHORUS__1227

ZINC__1364

FUEL GC__0.7%

SOOT VOL.__
WATER INFRARED__
VIS 100C CS__11.2

TBN__11.60

I-R OXIDA__31

I-R NITRA__13

Any questions/comments are welcome.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions as to when I should sample next, and how long is the maximum time I should run the filters for, i.e. is it o.k. to run the bypass filter until it doesn't heat up anymore?

Thanks,
Bob

Thanks guys,

Jerre; I don't have a digital camera at this time, but it does look pretty sweet :)

I removed the stock steel fenders (dead weight) and mounted the Amsoil dual-remote kit on the left side just above the main wheel
so there's only about two feet of hose required to reach the filter adaptor on the left side of the engine (I also removed the stock oil filter access door to route the hoses through).

I covered the hoses with flex-tubing for added protection and along with the integral chrome pre-luber it looks pretty high-tech.

I feel it's a good investment, especially because it's easy to remove and re-install on future machines indefinitely.

I've got one on my 1993 Toyota Pickup as well, the pre-luber
provides instant oil pressure for startup and eliminates
the startup "chatter" (timing chain?) that I used to hear.

I'm hoping for at least 10,000 hours from the Kubota diesel/
Grasshopper mower. I also have a 1998 Grasshopper 725 with
Kubota Gas WG-750 engine that just turned 7,000 hours
and runs like new (using Rotella T 15w40 dino at 100hr OCIs).

Bob

250 lube hours with a TBN still above 11? Zowie! I'd have to say there's some life left in the lube.

Also speaks well of the Kubota engine (says another Kubie owner).

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
250 lube hours with a TBN still above 11? Zowie! I'd have to say there's some life left in the lube.

Also speaks well of the Kubota engine (says another Kubie owner).

i agree she'll easly go 500-600 hrs...

Update: Pics!
PICT0011.jpg

PICT0012.jpg

The bypass filter has been on for one year/725 hours now and the entire filter still gets hot during operation.

I've changed the oil several times and the full-flow filter once since my initial post, I'm considering shooting for a 500 hour
OCI this time to see how it goes. I'm also planning to leave the bypass filter on until it doesn't get hot anymore.
I'll plan to update this thread as I go.

I don't see why 500 hours would not be doable, based upon your setup, usage pattern, and the previous UOA.

500 hours is akin to 30k miles at highway speed. This type mower/engine combo probably sees full rpm, non-fluctuating serivce for nearly it's whole life. That's a good thing. Comes up to temp and stays there. Running a premium lube/filter system. No reason not to get your money's worth out of this setup.

Regarding the question about when to change the BP fitler, I don't really know what to suggest. Sure, you could run it until it no longer get's hot, but that would indicate flow is at, or near, zero. I don't know that anyone has a true picture of exactly where the point of no return happens; i.e. - when does the use of the filter end up not being a good ROI? We all can use the English language to tell you, but the actual practice is still a bit of a guess. One good telling point would be to use particle analysis. But the cost of that is somewhat prohibitive compared to just replacing the filter. I'd say to run one year on a BP filter, and then change it. Could you get more than that? Probably so. But it's not an outrageous cost applied once per year, and that way you're assured of the performance.

Nice set up with a very clean rig. You obviously take good care of your equipment.

Hi dnewton3,

Thanks for your comments!

You're right, we generally let the machine run continuously
the entire work day, so it's 6 or 7 hours of continuous run time.
Stays at temperature, fewer cycles on the starter, etc.

I may go with:

500 hours> oil,full-flow filter
1000 hours>oil,full-flow filter,bypass filter

That would be just over one year average on the bypass filter with our normal usage.

I would caution you to make sure you still do some UOAs at fixed, prescribed intervals. Other things can happen to the engine and lube system that a UOA could catch (fuel leak, coolant leak, air leak).

Regardless - nice set up!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back