Hoe-Lee-Cow -- 0w-20 Forever!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: jmb106
. . .

ekpolk
There is a $10 mail in rebate on the M1 0w20&30. $12 for 5qrts of M1 at your local WM. Not a bad deal if your interested in giving the M1 a try!

All I can say is this: if you happen to meet my wife somewhere, DO NOT introduce yourself. You might not survive the encounter. . .
wink.gif
Oh, and thank you too!
cheers3.gif

Hey Ekpolk,
Your welcome!I live on the other end of the state! The closest i get to you is Tallahassee where my daughter attends FSU, I won't be posting any of my travel plans in case your wife is following this thread.
smile.gif
She sounds like a bad women!

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

This is entirely dependent on battery technology. Ni-MH and especially Li-Ion are completely different than the old NiCd technology that everyone hates.

The self-discharge rate of the Ni-MH cells I have is pretty high. If I let them sit, they'll pretty much be dead in a month or two.

I don't have any NiCd cells to compare, they might well be as bad.

Originally Posted By: jcwit

Wonder if the semi guys realize this? I guess a heavily loaded vehicle would also stop quicker.

Frontal area, wind drag. Compare apples to apples.

OK, load your trunk up with 1,200 lbs of lead, take a highway trip, and see what happens!

No need. Find a copy of the old DOS program called CarTest and start playing with it. When I did--and I will point out that it was VERY accurate at calculating fuel economy and 0-60 and 1/4 mile times based on the vehicle parameters that you input--increasing vehicle weight simply did not have that much of an effect on highway fuel economy.

City fuel economy was a different story, for what I hope are obvious reasons....

(BTW, What DID have a big impact on highway fuel economy was frontal area and coefficient of drag.)

Originally Posted By: brianl703

This is entirely dependent on battery technology. Ni-MH and especially Li-Ion are completely different than the old NiCd technology that everyone hates.

The self-discharge rate of the Ni-MH cells I have is pretty high. If I let them sit, they'll pretty much be dead in a month or two.

I don't have any NiCd cells to compare, they might well be as bad.

That's due to design. They try to pack as much capacity into them as possible, which means that in the smaller cells (such as AA) there is very little distance between the plates inside, and it allows them to bleed off their charge. The newer Low Self Discharge cells (Sanyo Eneloop, etc) do not have this issue, but they do sacrifice some initial capacity.

increasing vehicle weight simply did not have that much of an effect on highway fuel economy.

I found a perfect example of this:

The 1987 Ford Mustang GT AOD automatic 5.0L V8

The 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria AOD automatic 5.0L V8

Both get an EPA-estimated 24 mpg highway, but the Mustang gets 16MPG city vs. the LTD's 15MPG city.

How much more do you think the LTD weighs than the Mustang? Would it be safe to say its at least 500 lbs, if not 1000 lbs? (I have ranges of between 3097 and 3251 lbs for the Mustang from a pretty authoritative source. All I can find on the LTD is a few sources saying 3800lbs)

That's due to design. They try to pack as much capacity into them as possible, which means that in the smaller cells (such as AA) there is very little distance between the plates inside, and it allows them to bleed off their charge.

I notice that the 1700mAH AA cells I have are no better than the 2500mAH AA cells in this regard.

As applied in the Toyota hybrids, the batteries will hold a charge for many months of inactivity. At least that's what others report on some of the hybrid sites. There's even a button you can push to deactivate the smart-key system so that it won't drain the battery scanning for your fob, day after day.

I'm not an expert in this facet of HSD operations. It's a fairly rare day when my car does not get driven somewhere. This will simply NEVER be an issue for me. If I lose a battery, it certainly won't be from inactivity.

That's due to design. They try to pack as much capacity into them as possible, which means that in the smaller cells (such as AA) there is very little distance between the plates inside, and it allows them to bleed off their charge.

I notice that the 1700mAH AA cells I have are no better than the 2500mAH AA cells in this regard.

Once the 2500's and higher get some use on them, it's not uncommon for them to be 90% discharged after only a couple of days. Are your 1700's discharging that quickly?

I may have missed it. But did the original poster say how fast he was driving to get the gas mileage?

I recently had a chance to do some long trip tests with my 07 Camry 4 cylinder with 5 speed. At a consistent 65 mph windows cracked and no AC, my gas mileage was 42.6 mpg (confirmed over 460 miles). And at 75-80 mph, the gas mileage dropped to 37.5 mpg. And I am currently using PP 5W30.

Originally Posted By: georgeyew
I may have missed it. But did the original poster say how fast he was driving to get the gas mileage?

I recently had a chance to do some long trip tests with my 07 Camry 4 cylinder with 5 speed. At a consistent 65 mph windows cracked and no AC, my gas mileage was 42.6 mpg (confirmed over 460 miles). And at 75-80 mph, the gas mileage dropped to 37.5 mpg. And I am currently using PP 5W30.

That was me. I was doing 80-ish (by that I mean, of course, that on a real-world interstate, it's simply impossible to maintain a controlled, constant speed).

For those time when I can actually tolerate slowing to those levels, that's about what the TCH will do. Many folks try to make much of the fact the plain I-4 Camry and the TCH are not that different on the highway. That is to be expected, to some extent. It's in the mixed or pure urban driving that the TCH really shines. I can pull off 38-40 mpg in pure city driving, no hypermiling tricks involved. Let us know when you pull off similar mileage figures while slogging through stop-and-go city traffic!
cheers3.gif

Once the 2500's and higher get some use on them, it's not uncommon for them to be 90% discharged after only a couple of days. Are your 1700's discharging that quickly?

They're not quite that bad, but they're pretty much dead after a month.

I can pull off 38-40 mpg in pure city driving, no hypermiling tricks involved. Let us know when you pull off similar mileage figures while slogging through stop-and-go city traffic!
cheers3.gif

There is no way I can get that in city driving. I get about 30-32 highway/city mixed. I am in NOVA, so the city traffic is....
09.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back