Kumho KH16 Solus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys. My brother needs new tires for his car. He's kind of tight on money these days. He just dropped over $500 at the Vet last week. Who said animals were cheap?

Being the great brother I am (I'm the youngest of 3). I decided to buy him a set and have them shipped to his door. I'm not rolling in dough myself. I do have some extra duckets in my savings. So I was looking to spend less then $400 shipped.

He does his fare share of highway driving. He drives 70 miles, all highway to and from work. He lives in Sonoma County, so little rain during the year.

I was looking for something with a treadwear rating over 400. I need it to be H rated also. I don't want to go down to T rated tires.

My three choices are

Kumho KH16 $68
Kumho LX Platium $91
General Altimax HP $85

I can get the KH16's shipped to his door for $316. You can't beat $68.00 each. My pocket book likes the KH16's. All three get good reviews. The Platium's have a treadwear of 600, and have 11/32nd tread depth. The other two have 440 and 10/32nds.

It looks like Tirerack is the cheapest online. Some places want $100 for shipping. It's nice for Tireack to have a Reno warehouse.

Thanks

KUMHO_Sol.jpg

Why it needs to be speed rate H ? Is he an aggressive driver or he drives 100+ mph all the times ? I would pick General Altimax HP out of the three, it costs a little more than Kumho KH16 but it is newer design and wet traction is rated much better than KH16.

BTW you should be commended for being nice to your brother.

the Kumho KR21 is a way better tire for only 9 bucks more per tire.
i run them in both my subaru and the colt, it's ranked number 2 in the category, and the ice and snow traction is way better than on the 16. my next purchase for my wife's subaru will be the kumho platinum - since i happen to be fairly prosperous at the moment.

Great tire, drove over 50K miles on my Subaru Impreza on them and sold them with the car with PLENTY of tread on them. Quiet, good in the rain and light snow, and priced VERY well. Do it.

Come on guys! He won't need a tire with great rain and snow traction. He lives where they grow grapes
wink.gif

The KR21's only come in T rated. I know of some tire places (Costco) that won't install lower speed rated tires, then what came OEM on the car.

The Altimax wears poorly. The KH-16s should fit the ticket. Some of the Yokos wear quite well, fwiw. What's the size anyway?

Quote:
The Altimax wears poorly.
Really? Not my experience so far. HP's or RT's?

Bought the HP's for a Civic last summer, with over 20K they seem to wearing well. Solid treadwear rating on TR.
21.gif

This time last summer AHP's had a $50 Visa rebate card, plus free shipping from Treadepot. Price match at Discount Tire made it too good to pass on.

To the OP, looks like the Kumho KH16's have the price advantage. I got good wear (~70k) out of a set of Yoko Avid Touring on a Civic. They weren't H rated but DT had no issue selling and installing them. Worked fine.

I know some places won't install below OE speed rating, but many will too.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
The Altimax wears poorly. The KH-16s should fit the ticket. Some of the Yokos wear quite well, fwiw. What's the size anyway?

205/55/16. He has a 01 Beetle.

I found these on Discounttiredirect.

Yokohama Avid Touring-S. With their free shipping. I can get these for $316.00. Same price as the Kumho KH16's.

yokpt6.ang.jpg

Okay, so is there a big difference between a H speed rating, and a T speed rating? I know the H rated has a little better constuction, to hold up to the higher speed. The Yokahama's have a treadwear of 620.

My 07 Altima came with T rated tires. It has a 175hp. My brothers 01 Beetle came with H rated tires, and only has 115hp. Why would VW put H rated tires on a car like the Beetle? It's not a Autobahn burner.

The Yokohama's are made in Virginia also. That's a plus in my book.

Thanks again

That is just the updated version, though they look very similar, of the Avid Touring my daughter had on her 01 Civic, which also had OE H rated. We purchased them at DT.

Though I only drove it occasionally, the tires rode fine, no issues and as stated in my previous post, we got excellent wear. IMO, it's a nice tire, and we never knew/felt the difference in rating. I doubt your brother would either.

Don't know if you have a Discount Tire in your area, but they might be able to beat the DTD price. They did that with my recent purchase of the BFG Traction TA's recently.

Edit DTD site does say T rated.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
All are good tires, but the highest wear might be the best thing you can offer him.

+1

Well, I bought the Kumho KH16's. I placed the order at 2:00pm on the 21st. My brother received them at 11:00am on the 22nd. Thanks for the great price and service from Tirerack!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back