Is there a "best" oil for mostly short trip driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been hearing a lot about short trips (4 or 5 miles a day only) being considered as "severe" service. I guess the engine does not come up to temp and the oil contaminants such as oxidation are never blown off. I can see where this might not be good for the oil and would require a shorter OCI than suggested by the auto manufacturer.

I have a new Honda VTEC V6 (requires 5w20) and, since I retired 10 years ago I find I do not drive as often as I use to. My manual gives no "severe" service guidlines saying only to change oil when the OLM says service is due or one year, whichever comes first.

Up until a few weeks ago I did take the truck out about once a week and put about 50 miles on it but with the price of gas going sky high I would rather save those trips for when I really need to go someplace.

So, is there an oil pack that might be suitable or even better than others for this kind of short trip driving? Any additives in the virgin oil specs I should be looking for? Chances are I won't put more than 10,000 miles a year on it no how and would like to have an OCI of about every 6,000 miles (or just go by my OLM). How would a blend like Mobil 7500 or Motorcraft do or even a dino like Havoline? Or, because of this so-called "severe" service, do I need a full synthetic like M1?

I don't think there is a "best" oil for short trip driving. The best you can do is buy less expensive oil, but change it more often.

thanks for asking this question...I wanted to make a similar post...my wife has a new 2005 Corolla and it's 8.5 miles to work and 8.5 on the way back...we are in hot south Florida, but I'm not sure if the oil get to standard operating temps before the cars gets shut off...what do you guys think? I want a 6 month OCI...I just did an oil change with Amsoil XL 5w30...would this be a good oil for my situation?

Best and most cost effective oil in this situation would be a diesel HDEO like Delo 400 and Delvac Super or Shell Rotella T changed at 3000 miles interval.

Although HDEOs as Gurkha suggests are super oils they are generally of higher viscosity. I would stick to the recommended viscosity (Honda 5w20, Toyota 5w30) because short trip usage will especially benefit from the lower viscosity.

If it were me in this situation I would use a quality inexpensive oil and change frequently to get rid of the contamination, say 6 months or 3,000 mi.

We run a lot of short trips in the winter months in our Pontiac Montana. The temps were anywhere from upper 30's to -20F. I was using Mobil 1 5W30 and had it in from December to June and the oil analysis came back great with 4500 miles on it. No water or fuel. I think it is probably just as important to have a good working PCV as anything. I think people worry to mych about short trips, granted they aren't the best for your engine, but they don't kill it either.

Marty, what ever you do, keep some records and next summer, let us know what happens. Using what the manual calls for should work, the only question is how often, probably a bit more often than the severe schedule, maybe some Lube Control and Fuel Power and nothing else. In the end, if you do all this, how much will you want for the car when you sell it. It should be a good buy.

With those short trips, the oil won't get very hot. A 5-20 will be great [and THICKER than a 5-30, when the 5-30 is in really hot conditions]

Marty:
How long do U intend to keep the Honda?
If not for more then 4 yrs? {Don't worry about it}.

I would use viscosity that Honda recommends.
If Your going to keep the Honda for more then 4yrs... Like Me 20yrs.
I would use a good Synthetic and good Filter, and change the oil every six months No matter the miles.

Try to take the Honda out at least Once or Twice a month for some interstate driving. {Let that VTEC warm up.

Larry had a good idea... Lubecontrol and Fuelpower would be a smart choice... {I use both}. Great Products. Don't leave home without them.

Like i said, if your not going to keep if for more then 4 yrs... Don't worry about it. If ya plans on makeing it apart of the family? Take care of it, and it will take care of U.
Just my Honest Opinion.

quote:

Originally posted by tmorris1:
We run a lot of short trips in the winter months in our Pontiac Montana. The temps were anywhere from upper 30's to -20F. I was using Mobil 1 5W30 and had it in from December to June and the oil analysis came back great with 4500 miles on it.

Sounds like my situation. I too have a Montana (MY 2000). This vehicle, since May and for the forseeable future, will see mostly very short trips (in the week day 3km to the train station where it sits all day, then 3km back home at night). This occurs in very hot and soon to be very cold temps. Right now it has M1 5W-30. I would do a UOA when the oil change indicator comes on but I didnt mark down when and at what mileage I did the last change
dunno.gif
. I know 'Olympic' had great success with his taxi Montana using XD 0W-30. My plan, to be different, is to use GC next time.

You still may be able to run HDEO. They do make HDEO 10w30. I bet you could order either at NAPA or find it at a truck supply or truck stop.

Thanks guys for the great advice. As usual, it appears there is more than one way to skin the cat and it usually boils down to either using better oil (like synthetic) or more frequent OCIs.

I think I will make it a point, regardless the gas price, to take the truck out and run it for about 50 miles once a week or so as I use to do. I will dump the factory fill (which Honda wants you to keep in for as long as possible) when the OLM hits about 20% or so. Then, go with a quality dino such as Havoline and change that in six months (should be about 4000 miles on the Havoline by then). I will send a sample to a lab for analysis and see what the TBN and other components look like. If I have plenty of oil life left, I may just let the OLM guide me until the next sample. If a problem is noted, I might try a synthetic and see what happens.

I just thought that for short trip driving there might be something to look for in an oil pack that might help, eg, a rich dose of moly such as contained in Havoline's 5w20 or Redline synthetic. I don't know if moly additive is something that would help in this situation but I have heard Honda's like it. In any event, I will experiment with my first few changes and with the help of Blackstone I'll find something that works.

There is no "best", there are only "opinions", based upon some of the criteria as mentioned above. Then there is "judgement" based upon the criteria.

quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wan:
You folks are making this needlessly complicated an confusing; simply use the recommended viscosity (5w-20) and change the oil and filter every 6 months or 4-5K, whichever comes first.

The 5-quart jugs of Havoline 5w-20 at Walmart for about $7 or the 5-quart jugs of Pennzoil 5w-20 for $8, along with a Supertech ST7317 Oil Filter for $2, will do the job fine.

Get a FRAM SureDrain to make oil changes easy.
smile.gif

Michael

EDIT:
Remember, 5w-20 oils don't shear as much as 5w-30 oils and they seem to be more robust. Some shearing does NOT hurt, and from the UOAs we've seen on here, the little shearing that occurs rarely affects wear.

I agree with Michael!

Honda wants you use Honda Genuine Oil or an oil in the reccomended grade with the Starburst Symbol.

My advice:

Use any of the 5W-20 oils that are ILSAC GF-3 or GF-4, that have an API SL or SM rating and.... meets or exceeds the Ford WSS M2C153-H and WSS M2C930-A standards.

In the 'conventional' oils which are still semi synthetic/ synthetic blends ...I like Motorcraft, Mobil 7500, Havoline, but you could use certainly use Castrol, Pennzoil.

In your case I'd following guidelines:

Short trips- 5000 miles or 6 months

Excessive Idling, bumper to bumper with AC, - 3000 miles or 3 months

Synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 5W-20, Redline 5W-20, or Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 - 7000 miles or 1 year

http://www.motorcraft.com/products.do?item=15

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_Clean_7500_5W-20.aspx

http://www.havoline.com/products/na/motoroil_mo_tech.html

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915464&contentId=6003410

http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Pdsheet/DomesticMarketing/EngineOils/pdf/Multigrade.PDF

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_5W-20.aspx

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_motoroil.asp

http://www.pennzoil.com/products/motor_oil/platinum.html

I agree with Michael and Great, but you don't need the SureDrain IMO.

I have 2 Hondas - an '00 Odyssey and a '03 Civic, both VTEC. They both see short-trip driving, and my climate in Tennessee is colder than yours. I use Mobil1 5W-30 in them with 6 month OCI and am pleased.

I think that you will find that the Honda engine is pretty "tight" and fuel efficient. So, the oil will not dilute with fuel as much as other engines. I am still surprised at how clean the oil in these engines is after 6 months. Also, I assume that your engine is all-aluminum like mine, so they will heat-up faster than an iron block and this will help drive off moisture / condensation faster in your short-trip driving.

I do agree with the previous comment that you should take it out on the highway occasionally. After it is fully warmed-up, then drive it a while at ~3000 rpm by shifting to a lower gear. Also do some high-acceleration to get VTEC to kick in, again after all warmed-up. I think that you will find that it will run smoother if you give it some "exercise".

Finally, about once per year I put fuel system cleaner in the tank about 2 tanks before I get the oil changed. My goal is to drive any moisture out of the gas tank, clean-up the injectors and valves, etc. I drive rather hard during the time that the cleaner is in there thinking that might help...don't really know.

Best Wishes as you Motor Along!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back