Wich engine oil for a small 2.5 L diesel engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This engine is on a Mitsubishi Triton L200.Just bougth it in Mexico,it is maybe important to know that diesel in Mexico is good but far from ULSD standards.
Mitsubishi manual recomends for engine oil: API CF-4 and ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4 or A5/B5
SAE 5w30,10w30,20w40 or 15w40

Local ELF (only oil dealer in town) has two heavy duty oils: CH-4/SJ and CI-4/SL both 15w40, they recomend it for 12,000 miles.

This is my first diesel truck, and I don´t want to make it wrong about engine oil, I have always use Mobil 1 5w50 in all my veycles for 12,000 miles without a problem, I would buy Delvac but there is not Mobil dealer in my town, I buy my truck oil at Sam´s club.

What do you recomend me fellows?

CI-4 or CI-4+ are what would work best in that engine, probably in a 15W-40.

The CJ-4 oils do not have the detergency to cope with the higher sulfur diesel fuel for long intervals.

Last edited:
Thank you very much it is interested to know your preferences, as wel as why CI oil would do better than CJ oil in my engine.
Do you think it is possible to have good results using the same oil I use in mu other cars and trucks (Mobil 1 5w50)?, and if so, for how many miles?

CI-4+ will handle the acidic components of your not so ULSD fuel better than the CJ-4. Now if you get to the point where you are running real ULSD then you can feel free to run CJ-4 spec oils without worry. Diesel oils are a real bargain for their performance so don't use anything else...Passenger car motor oils used in diesel applications are usually extremely poor performers. The reasons for this are that they can't handle the soot loading and/or their initial TBN reserve is not high enough to provide protection from acidic components throughout the drain interval. Again look for CI-4 or CI-4+ as a listed specification.

Robert,

The Mobil 1 5W-50 meets the Mitsu specs, so you could use it and then sample the oil to see how it's holding up. My GUESS is that you could safely do 7500 miles or better on it; however, I'd prefer to use the CI-4 rated 15W-40 HDEO, and I'd want to sample it, too, if you're thinking of running it for 12,000 miles.

Thank you very much, now I feel really confident about what I will pour into my little diesel engine, I will use the CI-4 15w40 for 6k miles and take samples to be sure of it`s longevity. Thanks again. Great Forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back