Is their such thing as a bad oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FastSUV

If I recall, he is from "Texas" too is he not...hmmm

Anyway, it is documented the 4.7 is a sludger and that is why they came out with the half-hearted TSB fix that really does not fix the issue.

It is more seen in 4.7's that do FST's and are where it is colder outside though. I have heard there is a hack that can be done with a Chevy PCV that resolves the problem, but again, if someone has a 4.7 and uses 5w30 and chnages it by 3-4k then most likely they would be okay unless conditions above. It was apoor engine design to cause that problem.

grin2.gif
grin2.gif
grin2.gif

This is not good to know. Time for a round of ARX in the WJ when it comes back. My brother changed the oil in it and said it's either burning a lot of oil or leaking... now I have to consider another option... GREAT. Hopefully the Pennzoil HM I had him use this time will clear up any issues with the Mobil Clean 5000 that was previously used. Maybe I'll have to run a few short OCIs with PP.

I've come to the conclusion that any SM dino is a good oil, supertech or Pennzoil I don't think that really matters as long as it's the correct viscosity and the correct oil change interval.

Originally Posted By: Buick92
I've come to the conclusion that any SM dino is a good oil, supertech or Pennzoil I don't think that really matters as long as it's the correct viscosity and the correct oil change interval.

O'Reilly dino house oil is on sale for 1.89 per qt right now if you have those there

Originally Posted By: JeepZJ4.0

If I recall, he is from "Texas" too is he not...hmmm

Anyway, it is documented the 4.7 is a sludger and that is why they came out with the half-hearted TSB fix that really does not fix the issue.

It is more seen in 4.7's that do FST's and are where it is colder outside though. I have heard there is a hack that can be done with a Chevy PCV that resolves the problem, but again, if someone has a 4.7 and uses 5w30 and chnages it by 3-4k then most likely they would be okay unless conditions above. It was apoor engine design to cause that problem.

grin2.gif
grin2.gif
grin2.gif

This is not good to know. Time for a round of ARX in the WJ when it comes back. My brother changed the oil in it and said it's either burning a lot of oil or leaking... now I have to consider another option... GREAT. Hopefully the Pennzoil HM I had him use this time will clear up any issues with the Mobil Clean 5000 that was previously used. Maybe I'll have to run a few short OCIs with PP.

How many miles or on it??? I can tell you that a buddy of mine with a 3-car fleet used to use MC5000 but he said it burns off like mad compared to other oils he has tried just an FYI. I am sure that is not the case in all cars.

If it was me I'd probably just do a round of Pennzoil HM & substitute in 1 qt of Rislone & run it 3k and then change it. Then consider switching to Pennzoil HM or one of the other HM oils permanently...

As mentioned, one would be hard pressed to find a "bad oil" on any retail shelf in N. America. But there are plenty of inappropriate applications.

A fav' oil on this forum is PP but it has a high NOACK of 12.5%-14% depending on the grade. In my book that would disqualify it from being considered a good oil based on that one criterion alone. But many UOA have shown it to be a good oil in actual usage.

How many miles or on it??? I can tell you that a buddy of mine with a 3-car fleet used to use MC5000 but he said it burns off like mad compared to other oils he has tried just an FYI. I am sure that is not the case in all cars.

If it was me I'd probably just do a round of Pennzoil HM & substitute in 1 qt of Rislone & run it 3k and then change it. Then consider switching to Pennzoil HM or one of the other HM oils permanently...

127K. [sarcasm]This is fantastic news.[/sarcasm] My brother is going to visit my sister, the driver of the WJ at the end of the month. I will try the Rislone thing once it comes back again. I'm confident that the Pennzoil will help with the burning. I'm now 100% done with Mobil products. I might go to Rotella T Syn 5w40 or even GC 0w30. It's driven by a college girl who could care less about cars.

Thanks for your help!

Originally Posted By: 72customdeluxe
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
now, there certainly are some bad engines!
In fact, Amsoil issues a TSB recommending short OCI's on certain "sludge" engines. on my DC 2.7 Amsoil recommends 3k miles! also on the dodge 3.9, 5.2, 5.9 and 5k on certain vw, toy, lexus, saab models

Do you know if they have these on their website? I'd imagine my 350 is considered a sludger with all the fuel dilution.

nah 350 is one of the most reliable engines ever made as long as it can breathe; be sure PCV is good...and also, not all 350's were flat tappet so that is subjective in my choice of test motor, but either way, whether is was a '96 vortec or a '85 flat tappet design I just would want to use the same motor to test all the oils.

It could be a Nissan Z24 4cyl...doesn't matter, just a proven engine without a "known" reputation for anything extra like being prone to "cooking" its oil or sludge.

Yes the 350 is reliable, but my problem right now is sludge. Specifically a coked up #8 ring pack. It's clearing up and raising in compression with m1 hm and LOTS of on-ramp abuse everyday :)

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
now, there certainly are some bad engines!
In fact, Amsoil issues a TSB recommending short OCI's on certain "sludge" engines. on my DC 2.7 Amsoil recommends 3k miles! also on the dodge 3.9, 5.2, 5.9 and 5k on certain vw, toy, lexus, saab models

Do you know if they have these on their website? I'd imagine my 350 is considered a sludger with all the fuel dilution.

nah 350 is one of the most reliable engines ever made as long as it can breathe; be sure PCV is good...and also, not all 350's were flat tappet so that is subjective in my choice of test motor, but either way, whether is was a '96 vortec or a '85 flat tappet design I just would want to use the same motor to test all the oils.

It could be a Nissan Z24 4cyl...doesn't matter, just a proven engine without a "known" reputation for anything extra like being prone to "cooking" its oil or sludge.

Yes the 350 is reliable, but my problem right now is sludge. Specifically a coked up #8 ring pack. It's clearing up and raising in compression with m1 hm and LOTS of on-ramp abuse everyday :)

Marvel mystery oil is supposed to be good at cleaning rings...but even more so, SeaFoam in the oil might do the trick but I am always leary of using anything that is a thin solvent stuff in my oil...I use SeaFoam to clean carbon off my pistons & valves through the intake, but MMO (marvel mystery oil) might be the best choice if you have gummed up rings. I use rislone to clean varnish & stuff but not sure if it is powerful enough for rings or not??? I guess if it can free sticky lifters then it might work but I vote MMO used per the insstructions on the bottle in the crankcase.

Last edited:
I put a pint of mmo in there with the oil change I'll add another pint at 1500 or so miles
cheers3.gif
It will skew the results of the mobil alone for me, but i'd rather just have better results than wonder what product made the most change. I sea-foamed the intake a couple months ago, not much smoke though. Working hard without o/d keeps it somewhat clean I guess. I added just 6 oz of sea foam to a previous oil change and it got black quick. I was scared of stuff going into my oil pickup though so I won't use it in the oil anymore.

a good oil doesnt let metal parts touch. a good oil has chemistry that stays constant for a long time.

bad oil = 1/good oil

YES there is a "BAD" oil - anything in BULK with no labeling is a big suspect....

Any petroleum oil will inevitably damage any engine, the only thing that prolongs that effect are the expensive ADDITIVES that are put into cheap petroleum base oil!

Not convinced ? Just run your vehicle on plain PURE petroleum with nothing ADDED !

Or if you rather read about it first:

http://[link to non-sponsor oil selling site deleted]

PS: by API statistics 10 to 15% of all lube oil sold in USA is rated API SA !!! Now that should be really scary !

Edit: Please contact the board owner about becoming a paying sponsor if you would like to link to your site here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

A fav' oil on this forum is PP but it has a high NOACK of 12.5%-14% depending on the grade. In my book that would disqualify it from being considered a good oil based on that one criterion alone. But many UOA have shown it to be a good oil in actual usage.

What's that mean..."high NOACK"?
I just bought some PP to put into my '04 H6 Subaru. Did I mess up?

Originally Posted By: JGKC9AYC
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Definition from the Amzoil website:

The NOACK Volatility Test determines the evaporation loss of lubricants in high temperature service. The more motor oils vaporize, the thicker and heavier they become, contributing to poor circulation, reduced fuel economy and increased oil consumption, wear and emissions.

Here is their chart (2nd one down):

http://www.amsoil.com/comparison/motor-oil.aspx

No, PP is a fine oil. No sweat at all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JGKC9AYC

Google NOACK test but in short it is a measure of volatility. PP is a good solid motor oil so no you did not mess up as long as weight is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back