coasting in nuetral in toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told differetly by my brother-in-law, who is on of the best car guys that I know. He says: Coasting in nuetral(automatic tranny) is not the best thing to do because the torque conveter and the wheels need to be turning at the same speed. When shifting into "N", the torque converter slows down to engine speed(RPM) while the wheels via the shafts are spinning at a much higher speed.
He and I both agree though that we have never heard of any problem from doing this but, who knows!

My best guess regarding illegality: Decades ago, when these laws were enacted, cars and trucks had really lousy brakes, and often non-synchronized gearboxes. If your brakes overheated on a downhill run, and you couldn't get it into gear for engine braking, you were toast. Solution? Mandate engine braking/running in gear. (Anyone here remember Harry Chapin's song "30,000 pounds of Bananas"?)

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I was told differetly by my brother-in-law, who is on of the best car guys that I know. He says: Coasting in nuetral(automatic tranny) is not the best thing to do because the torque conveter and the wheels need to be turning at the same speed. When shifting into "N", the torque converter slows down to engine speed(RPM) while the wheels via the shafts are spinning at a much higher speed.
He and I both agree though that we have never heard of any problem from doing this but, who knows!

What happens is if you leave it in gear and coast, the wheels drive the engine at a speed above idle and the computer shuts the injectors off. The engine consumes 0 fuel.

Take it out of gear and it consumes the same amount as it would idling, sometimes more since some cars elevate engine speed in neutral while it's moving.

Originally Posted By: olddognewtrks
My best guess regarding illegality: Decades ago, when these laws were enacted, cars and trucks had really lousy brakes, and often non-synchronized gearboxes. If your brakes overheated on a downhill run, and you couldn't get it into gear for engine braking, you were toast. Solution? Mandate engine braking/running in gear. (Anyone here remember Harry Chapin's song "30,000 pounds of Bananas"?)

My highway patrol friend says it has to do with "control". At a redlight you're supposed to be able to pop the clutch/let off the brake and hit the gas and move out of the way if the need should arise. Same if you're going down the freeway and you need to accelerate quickly for an emergency.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

My highway patrol friend says it has to do with "control". At a redlight you're supposed to be able to pop the clutch/let off the brake and hit the gas and move out of the way if the need should arise. Same if you're going down the freeway and you need to accelerate quickly for an emergency.

Does that mean legally you should be stopped at a light with the clutch depressed and the car in gear? That would really wear out a Throw Out Bearing early.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Does that mean legally you should be stopped at a light with the clutch depressed and the car in gear? That would really wear out a Throw Out Bearing early.

I'm almost positive he said exactly that, in gear, clutch in. I'll clarify today.

I'm almost positive he said exactly that, in gear, clutch in. I'll clarify today.

Then I've been a scofflaw for a looong time!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

There's nothing in the California Drivers Handbook that specifically addresses that.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/driver_handbook_toc.htm

I did look up the California Vehicle Code (and "highway" is defined as any road or street):

Quote:
21710. The driver of a motor vehicle when traveling on down grade
upon any highway shall not coast with the gears of such vehicle in
neutral.

I looked up anything in the Vehicle code that included "gear" or neutral", and couldn't find anything that addresses leaving a vehicle stopped in neutral at a light or stop sign. That obviously wouldn't be "coasting".

Originally Posted By: KLowD9x
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I assume this is an AT equipped car? 4-speed?
yes it is,4-spd auto. So all safe then?

Theoretically safe as long as you're going forward. However - coasting in neutral is generally a better idea in manual transmission cars.

I also thought that one potential problem could be an accidental shift into reverse (I know there's usually a lockout) when the intent is to shift into drive.

There's very little penalty to actually staying in drive for that kind of waiting. I sometimes coast briefly with a manual transmission, but I frankly wouldn't bother with an auto.

This is why you can shift from drive to neutral and back again without having to press the shifter button in.

You can also slide from reverse to neutral to drive without pressing in the button. However, you can not go back to reverse once you have slid the shifter into neutral.

And, on the flip side, L to 2 to 3 to drive (depending on how many gears you have) doesn't require pushing in the button.

(I am REALLY tired and can't remember the name of the button, I think it's a detent, but meh, you know what I am talking about.)

So, you CAN shift between neutral and drive without worrying about hitting reverse.

Every car is different. On my TL I can definately shift into reverse by accident. It has no button, just a brake interlock.

I thought the 06 TL had a gated shifter? Even though it has no button, you have to move the shifter over to the side to shift it into reverse. There is still a stop to prevent you from popping it into reverse.

However, not like it matters, electro-hydraulic transaxles found in new vehicles will not engage reverse at speeds over a couple MPH. The TCM just won't allow it.

I always sit at a light with my M/T van, in neutral, foot off the clutch. When the light turns green clutch gets pushed down, I shift into first and take off. The TOB would be toast waiting for some of these lights we Long Islanders or NYC dwellers have to deal with. I sometimes coast to lights (depends on a lot of things), so deciding which gear to use should it turn green is easier. Or if I have to stop I'm out of gear in neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back