What oil for 1999 BMW S52 engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car has had BMW synthetic 5w-30 since new. I have never tested the oil, but it does consume a good amount of oil, maybe 1+ qt every 700 miles.

I want something that will provide the protection I need, but not burn off so quickly and not kill my wallet. It should be readily available locally.

I live in NJ (if climate is a concern).

What do you suggest?

Thanks!

I had used Rotella T 5w-40 and Mobil 0w-40, both with success, in our 528i. No burning, nor any signs of varnish when i replaced the valve cover gasket. I kept the changes to 6 months or 7k miles.

My 528i has 155K miles, and uses zero oil. I'm using M1 10W-30-40 HM; will send in a sample at 5K and see if its up to snuff. I'd like it to go 6-7K miles OCI. It is an A3/B3 rated oil, and only
$22 for 5 qts. at WM.

Originally Posted By: bmwpower
Is Mobil1 0-w40 an approved oil (or one that passes the specs)?

BMW LL-01 approved.
thumbsup2.gif

You might want to look into replacing your PCV valve though, if oil consumption is that bad. If the consumption doesn't go away, I'd consider Castrol Edge or LiquiMoly 10W-60, or possibly a 5W-50 oil.

Argh. I had all kinds of stuff typed and accidentally closed my browser when looking for references....

FYI in 1999 you likely have an M52TU. Production dates starting 9/98 are M52TU engines.

Oil consumption is undetectable on my 1998 M52 over 8k km/6 month OCIs. It is atypical and in my opinion you should find the source of it. There is nothing "wrong" with BMW 5W30 that would cause consumption. You don't mention how many miles are on the unit or whether this lifetime of BMW 5W30 is your maintenance.

If you're "lucky", the oil consumption is from the CCV (PCV) system. Many here that aren't versed on "euro ways" may think that the CCV system is easily replaced and considered routine maintenance. On BMWs of this era it isn't. The CCV system is considered "long life"/lifetime - the part is ~$100 from discount OE sources and the factory procedure involves removing the intake manifold (there are alternate procedures). One alternate is here .

Search around to find ways to check the CCV. If you remove the oil cap and there is any significant suction it is failed. If there's any kind of a cooing, screeching sound during cold start or light acceleration, it is also failed. I'm likely replacing my CCV as PM before winter.

Caution: "transition" cars near 9/98 sometimes have unexpected parts compliments (ie. the old CCV system on the new engine - one person with a 9/98 found that).

As you haven't mentioned if this was always your car, you may benefit from a round of Auto-RX. If you have some ring sealing problems instead of CCV problems it may help. Any oil consumption is atypical, hopefully you can fix it. I've successfully used ARX in a quality dino HDEO 15W40. If your climate suits, this is also a fine oil to run all of the time.

For oils, others have indicated. Anything ACEA A3 will be fine. Something with BMW LL-01 is preferred. ACEA A1 is insufficient.

- GC (my choice)
- M1 0W40 (have run in the past - prefer GC)
- BMW 5W30 (made my dad's 540 noisy over 40k mi despite half-dealer intervals, GC has cleared it up)
- Amsoil AFL 5W40
- any top notch 15W40 HDEO or 5W40 syn/semi-syn HDEO

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Originally Posted By: bmwpower
Is Mobil1 0-w40 an approved oil (or one that passes the specs)?

BMW LL-01 approved.
thumbsup2.gif

You might want to look into replacing your PCV valve though, if oil consumption is that bad. If the consumption doesn't go away, I'd consider Castrol Edge or LiquiMoly 10W-60, or possibly a 5W-50 oil.

Good luck finding those thicker oil in the states.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
FYI in 1999 you likely have an M52TU. Production dates starting 9/98 are M52TU engines.

Taking into consideration the OP's screen name, and the title of the thread, I'd wager they have a '99 M3 or M Coupe, which has an S52.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
- GC (my choice)
- M1 0W40 (have run in the past - prefer GC)
- BMW 5W30 (made my dad's 540 noisy over 40k mi despite half-dealer intervals, GC has cleared it up)
- Amsoil AFL 5W40
- any top notch 15W40 HDEO or 5W40 syn/semi-syn HDEO

+1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
Taking into consideration the OP's screen name, and the title of the thread, I'd wager they have a '99 M3 or M Coupe, which has an S52.

Probably an M5. M3 had an S54 engine, AFAIK.

In the U.S., the '99 M3 was available as the last of the E36 coupe/convertibles with the S52 single-VANOS engine. The same engine was also available in the Z3 M models in MY99-2000.

The S54 didn't appear in the U.S. market until 2001, when it was fitted to the E46 M3 and (rare) 2001 Z3 Ms.

There was no '99 M5. The S62-equipped M5 didn't appear until the 2000 MY. Those models are unique because that production run predated the facelift given to the E39 in 2001. The early S62 engines in the M5, as well as the 2000 Z8, were the first to require the Castrol 10W-60 oil, until they were joined by the S54 M3s for 2001.

Last edited:
The S62-equipped M5 didn't appear until the 2000 MY.

You're right. I was thinking about S62, even though the OP was talking about S52. My bad. :)

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Probably an M5. M3 had an S54 engine, AFAIK.

Ooops. I could have sworn I saw M52 when I replied.

a) The E34 M5 is S38
b) The E39 M5 is S62
c) E36 M3 was S50 and S52, plus the US-version shenanigans
d) bmwpower != bmw M-power

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd change my recommendations much, except that I have no experience on reasonable oil consumption amounts on a M-series. If it's the North American spec, it's just an M52 with some mods. I'd expect it to use no oil too.

No idea about the Evo/Euro version.

My BMW 1999 328is (M Package), was burning oil like crazy, I topped off with Syntec 5W-50, and that took care of the problem, although it felt my mileage took the beating.

I now use:

During Summer
Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 5W-40

During Winter
Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30
Castrol Syntec 0W-30

For Mobil 1 ESP products please contact you local Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Dealer and/or Local Mobil Distributor (Noco.com)

The above oils helped me put an end to Oil Burning very much!

Have Heard Things Good About
Amsoil 5W-40
Red Line 0W-40 & 5W-40

Thanks for all the replies.

The car is a very late, 4/99 M3 build, so it's an S52.

I'm going to start by trying the M1 0W/40 and see what happens. If it sucks, I'll try the next suggestion and take it from there.

Let you know...thanks!!!

If the M1 0W-40 does not reduce the somewhat common oil consumption experienced when these engines are run on reg M1 5W-30, you could try:

M1 High Mileage 10W-30 or 10W-40 or
Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40 (don't be afraid of the diesel specs listed. The M1 0W-40 is also rated for some diesel engines.)

These are readily available at some auto parts stores and Wal-Mart.

One more good, but relatively inexpensive synthetic to try would be Rotella 5W-40 synthetic. It always does well in these engines and the price is $19/gal at Wal-Mart.

My S52 burned/consumed oil when it ran 0w-40.
It is much happier running Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40 (similar to delvac or rotella I believe)

I've heard good things about the M1 5w40 in these cars. How bad of a hit mileage wise did you take using the 5w50?

Have 1999 528iT, M52TU w/52M miles, uses GC with 7500 mile oil change intervals. Used Auto Rx w/ Delo 15w-40 for a cleanup treatment after car was purchased w/27M miles. Previous oil used prior to purchase was BMW 5w-30. Delo makes it run mighty quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back