Im done hearing that fram sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: steve20
will be installing a TG 3506 for the yearly oil change in the Z06 next month-no worries here

PS my favorite is the newbie poster with 3 or 5 posts jumping on the "bash Fram" bandwagon yeah-they do not have metal endcaps, but neither does the bottle of oil you are using either

Steve

Maybe they have had bad experiences before they joined bitog, so they already feel that way

will be installing a TG 3506 for the yearly oil change in the Z06 next month-no worries here

PS my favorite is the newbie poster with 3 or 5 posts jumping on the "bash Fram" bandwagon yeah-they do not have metal endcaps, but neither does the bottle of oil you are using either

Steve

Wow, sorry I missed this one before. Steve, this is illogic at it's best. First, are you claiming that someone can ONLY know about Fram's construction, and object to it, if they are a seasoned BITOG member??? Yeah, this is a good forum, but really. I knew of the Fram issue for years before I joined here in 2004. What is the precise number of posts one must have here before they can credibly be concerned about Fram flimsyniess?

As to the last, well, I hope that was just an attempt at humor. But anyway, why would a bottle of oil need metal end caps? And we're talking filters, not oil bottles. And I have yet to find a bottle of oil that's meaningfully flimsier than any other. Now, look at the pictures I posted in this tread a while back. Owning a Z06, I'd just like to know why you'd select a filter whose element can easily be crushed by hand, when for the same money, you can have one that filters better and has a vastly stronger element??? It's the same question I always ask in these threads, and nobody ever comes up with any answer that makes sense (in fact, it seems most Fram fans quietly back away from it and never answer. . .).

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
steve20 said:
Owning a Z06, I'd just like to know why you'd select a filter whose element can easily be crushed by hand, when for the same money, you can have one that filters better and has a vastly stronger element???

I also have a Z06 ... but use a NAPA Gold or WIX (use to use AC Delco Ultragaurd or Amsoil). Better filters only costs a few bucks more, and I only change oil once a year so it's not gonna break the bank. The peace of mind knowing the engine isn't gonna blow due to some cheap filter failure is worth $4 more per year IMO.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
steve20 said:
Owning a Z06, I'd just like to know why you'd select a filter whose element can easily be crushed by hand, when for the same money, you can have one that filters better and has a vastly stronger element???

I also have a Z06 ... but use a NAPA Gold or WIX (use to use AC Delco Ultragaurd or Amsoil). Better filters only costs a few bucks more, and I only change oil once a year so it's not gonna break the bank. The peace of mind knowing the engine isn't gonna blow due to some cheap filter failure is worth $4 more per year IMO.
whistle.gif

I only have a lowly C3 stroker, but I only use NAPA Gold or Wix filters, along with Valvoline VR1 oil in my flat tappet. For bang per buck I dont think that combination can be beat.

Steve

Wow, sorry I missed this one before. Steve, this is illogic at it's best. First, are you claiming that someone can ONLY know about Fram's construction, and object to it, if they are a seasoned BITOG member??? Yeah, this is a good forum, but really. I knew of the Fram issue for years before I joined here in 2004. What is the precise number of posts one must have here before they can credibly be concerned about Fram flimsyniess?

As to the last, well, I hope that was just an attempt at humor. But anyway, why would a bottle of oil need metal end caps? And we're talking filters, not oil bottles. And I have yet to find a bottle of oil that's meaningfully flimsier than any other. Now, look at the pictures I posted in this tread a while back. Owning a Z06, I'd just like to know why you'd select a filter whose element can easily be crushed by hand, when for the same money, you can have one that filters better and has a vastly stronger element??? It's the same question I always ask in these threads, and nobody ever comes up with any answer that makes sense (in fact, it seems most Fram fans quietly back away from it and never answer. . .).

I mostly agree. For all their poor appearance inside, there is nothing but a few anecdotes to back the revulsion most of us have for Fram. With Wal-Mart having reduced the ST numbers and Purolator perhaps now Botched up, it reduces the cheaper, better alternatives. I wonder if the Microguard I paid $3.49 for is much better than a Fram. I may wonder into AZ before my next oil change and see what they have.

As well as Fram seems to work, I really question spending more on something better.

Originally Posted By: pzev
For the same reason someone still pays out the butt for M1 when PP is as good or better......

...runs for flame suit!.....

No, that's not the same reason. M1 has a percentage of PAO in their oils (varies depending on grade). PAO is more expensive than GIII, so it is only logical that the oil would cost more. Look at the prices of AMSOIL and Redline........

M1 is hardly a "marginal" product.

I see a lot of Fram on the job...lots of expensive generators, mostly Cummins. Whoever did the procurement for filters chose fram for whichever reason...makes me cringe everytime I see one on a unit.
spankme2.gif

I know a friend of a friend, who is now my friend, who is a psychologist. He is also a pretty big gearhead in his spare time (to keep him sane). About 8 years ago when I met him at a party, and I mentioned my interest in trucks to him, he asked me what type of filter I was using in my Ford F150 at the time, and I told him Fram. After he got over the initial shock of of such a traumatic admission, he told me that it was OK, and that there was help out there for me. I thought to myself, "I don't have a problem", but deep down I felt that that I had really hit rock bottom...had I not pursued help and kept using those pretty orange filters, I would have been hitting rock bottom and starting to drill.
It took some time, they were only $2.93 at my local Wally. I really had some withdrawl when Gailleurd (my psychologist friend) took me to the local Ford dealership to buy a new one. He mentioned to me "you must start out with OEM...from there you can progress in small stages to even better options, eventually you can use ultra premium full synthetic options like Amsoil..."
Well, looking back, I never would have thought I could get to where I am today.
Gailleurd drove by one Sunday afternoon to visit unannounced in 2005 before I purchased my Dodge Cummins. He caught me in the act of changing the oil on the truck before I sold it. He said "are you going to pass that wonderful truck on to Sid (the buyer) with that filter?". I told him, yes I was. He said, "you must pass the help I have given you over the years on, or it's all for not." So, I put a Motorcraft on (and PP oil) , because the buyer was a BITOG addict (one of about 26000 current members who shall remain somewhat and half nameless). From that day on, I was a different person...
These days I walk through Wally and look on the shelves with all the orangeness on it...and I just keep on moving.
It could happen to you...but there is help out there. The first step is ACKNOWLEDGING that you have a problem.
Good luck
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Hi, my name is Matthew and I am a recovering Fram user. I have been Fram-free for over 2 years now.
thumbsup2.gif

Hi, my name is Matthew and I am a recovering Fram user. I have been Fram-free for over 2 years now.
Welcome Matthew!

Well ..time to take a break from the meeting ..grab a cup of black coffee ..go outside for a smoke ...

Perhaps all the Fram threads should be put in the humor section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back