gas pumps that run slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know why some pumps pump really slow at times.Is this a filtration problem or does the pump know I'm running late for work and it's making me cuss like a sailor?

noticed that in cold winter months . Seems like eternity while the winds are gusting in the teens . :- (

Last edited:
if there are a lot of cars at the station i use 89 octane. I don't know if its in my head to make my pump faster. Sort of like when you are in the drive thru at taco bell and some knucklehead ordered something weird that only the manager knows how to cook sort of thing. You see their total and its $5.65. [censored] is taking so long??????

Take your pick. It can either be time for a filter change or there are too many people on the line.

The local WAWA convenience store chain got hammered since they set their pump's max flow rate too slow to make you dwell there longer. It was sorta like putting mirrors across from elevators in high rise office buildings to stop people from complaining ..except in this case they made the elevators slow ..and made spending money inside the mirrors.

If you pick 89 and it speeds up it's possible the mixing valve is letting in mostly super. You can dream!

Originally Posted By: gonzo
Yep I know what you mean there.

Why thats because when you pre-pay,their hoping you get too cold to stay their and pump all of your fuel!
grin2.gif

try filling an '07 PRIUS that has the rubber bladder ( hardens ) for a gas tank in the frigid cold and blowing winds with a slow pump . Takes about twice as long . Lucky to have any function of your digits to drive . The 2010 PRIUS has a different tank , probably due to the hassle of filling tank and not able to get proper fills to estimate your mileage . :- )

The Chevron my job uses will fill up fast but slow to a trickle at the last $.50 for some reason.

The local Costco and the Shell down the street from my house are slow and I can hear a motor whirring as it fills up, due to vapor recovery for non-ORVR vehicles.

IMHO The speed of the gas pumps started slowing down when gas stations became grocery stores. By slowing down the rate of the pump it gives you more time to go inside to buy a coke and a bag of chips or whatever. That`s where they make the most money.

Around here, the Murphy Oil USA pumps at Wally World pump the fastest. Usually the cheapest too. Since they are fast and cheap, they move a lot of gas. Music to my ears.

Guess where I buy my gas?

Originally Posted By: LAGA
IMHO The speed of the gas pumps started slowing down when gas stations became grocery stores. By slowing down the rate of the pump it gives you more time to go inside to buy a coke and a bag of chips or whatever. That`s where they make the most money.

If it was a convenience store, yes. 3-5 minutes isn't enough time to go inside Costco.

Maybe the stations make the pumps run slow so a person might decide to check their oil.Then after they realize their a few quarts low they will buy some overpriced "Roadtech" 10w30.They also might decide to buy some windshield washer solvent that's overpriced by a buck and change.

i like slow pumps, you don't HAVE to buy anythign fromt he store because you are there longer.

slow pumps make it easy to fill completely vs the gushing ones that shut off prematurely.

Yep, I think this is a ploy to encourage you to go into the minimart and buy junk food!!!!!

I hate it. I never buy anything from the gas station except fuel.

Don't know about other areas, but most of the self-serve nozzles have the hold-open catch removed so you have to squeeze the handle. Technically, it's usually against local laws to jam the filler cap to hold open the nozzle.

I don't think that having slow pumps would make much difference on folks comming into the store if they waste too much time filling the tank. (might have the oppisite effect)

Michigan used to allow the latch only on full service pumps. Then one day the law must have been changed because the latches started showing up on self serve pumps. Now every self serve pump has a latch and I would certainly avoid stations that did not keep their latches in good repair. When I travel I notice some states still don't allow latches.

The lack of latches is your legislature saying you can't safely pump gas from an automatic dispenser without training. We still have the latches so apparently they weren't as unsafe as our overzealous politicians thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back