M1A and Garand Grease....Plastilube vs. Lubriplate

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who know about these weapons, they need grease for them to run. For the longest time, the military was using Plastilube on the Garand's and Lubriplate, but these days, Plastilube is starting to get ridiculously expensive. On ebay, each little grease pot is about .50 cents for Plastilube where I can buy a 14oz. can of Lubriplate for about $12. So for those who know much about firearms grease, is there any reason why Lubriplate isn't just as good if not better than Plastilube? I currently have that 14oz. can of Lubriplate but have been hesitant to use it as I still have 2 little pots of Plastilube left which I know is some good stuff. Any grease wizards out there care to share? I will be using it on my LRB M14. Thanks.

I really don't see why just about about any grease of proper consistency wouldn't work. I've seen plenty of guys using wheel bearing grease for theirs.

I've been using pl-10 for years.

Any quality no.2 grease will work just fine.

One of the reasons for selecting lubriplate originally was it's resistance to being washed out by water.

Troops in the tropics would get hit with torrential rainstorms washing the oil out of the mechanism and causing the action to seize.

BSW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back