TPMS--Valve Stem Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) should the valve stems still be replaced whenever new tires are mounted? Can they just replace the stems or do the sensors also need to be replaced? Is it more expensive than standard stems? Thanks!

if Nissan is like other OEMs, they should have a service kit which will include a new valve core and nut. when you service tyres with TPMS, you are supposed to relieve pressure by just pressing on the core, not taking it out until all the air has exited. there are TPMS specific valve cores as well due to the differing materials used in the sensors.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
if Nissan is like other OEMs, they should have a service kit which will include a new valve core and nut
+1

When my son got a new set of tires on his Explorer at DT, he had a broken TPMS. DT replaced the one monitor with aftermarket, they had to order it. The rest of the monitors they just serviced as stated above.

I believe it may have been broken when a replacement new tire was put on for one with a nail. Didn't show up for a while. Most places should know by now how to dismount and mount tires with TPMS. Frankly glad I don't have it on any of my vehicles, just another thing to break and/or maintain. Wally charges more to balance and mount tires with TPMS.

the annoying thing is that you don't always know a car has TPMS, especially if it has a strap mounted sensor with a normal rubber valve stem. at Sears they taught us to treat every wheel as if it had TPMS.

That is good thinking. Your Sears must not have been the one Ron White talked about in his stand up act. Just kidding.
cheers3.gif

GM has gone one further, the TPMS sensor on some of the new ones is in fact a rubber valve stem screwed on internally to a sensor. We replaced 2 sets before the service manager conviscated the side cutters at the tire machine and made the techs remove the valve cores prior to changing tires. The techs used to use the side cutters and cut the stem off, which usually broke the sensor if it had TPMS and didn't realize it. We treat every Ford coming in as if it had it, because of the strap type ones they use. The local Nissan dealer refuses to service the sensors, we had to swallow a couple of hefty bills from them as a result. GM had the best set-up as far as I'm concerned, they used an indirect TPMS run off the ABS system, it's not as accurate but created no extra serivicing headaches.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
the annoying thing is that you don't always know a car has TPMS, especially if it has a strap mounted sensor with a normal rubber valve stem. at Sears they taught us to treat every wheel as if it had TPMS.

My 1994 Corvette has the strap type of TPS and I have to personally tell the tire tech everytime and educate them where to break the beads. Nobody reads the little sticker right on the rim by the valve stem warning of the sensor and how to break the bead. I cannot have this part damaged because you cannot get them anymore. It was a very low running option back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back