Subaru oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friends,
On behalf of one of Subaru forums in Russia I would like to ask BITOG community for its help in respect of oil consumption. The problem is that quite a big number of owners feel too high oil consumption: 0.4-1.0 liter per 1000 km. This concerns WRX, WRX STI, Impreza, Legacy, Outback and Forester, all 2002-2005. This consumption is really high if to consider that cars have a low mileage (10-50.000 km, the majority are still under the guarantee) and their owners do not race. Unfortunately Subaru dealer does not eager to make an investigation and claims 1.0 liter per 1000 km is normal. But people are really concerned by oil consumption and would like to understand reasons. Among possible reasons we would consider:

- Engine defect
- Bad breaking in
- Inappropriate oil
- High fuel content
- Some combination of a.m.factors

I shall be grateful for all your knowledge and your comments. I believe statistics will help a lot to get a right answer. So, Subaru owners, present and former, please share your info on your oil consumption. It would be great if you present the data in the following way:

Model - Oil - Miles on oil - Make-up oil added

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Primus

Our Subaru Outback's have very low consumption running Redline 5W-40 , Redline 5W-30, or Mobil 1 Extra Protection 5W-30.

We did break ours in carefully and changed the factory oil at 3000 miles. All 3 of ours Outbacks are 2.5 liter normally aspirated engines.

I also drove a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT from 3500 miles 5500 miles, and even with very hard driving I saw no oil consumption.

I have no idea about how that engine was broken in, or what oil or oil change intervals were used.

Hi,
my MY'02 2.5 (EJ25) Outback consumed oil at an average of about 1ltr/6000kms (M1 10w-30, M1 0w-40 and Delvac 1 5w-40) from new until sale at 130k kms. Ambient range -5C to 48C - OCIs averaged about 17k kms

Very acceptable to me
wink.gif

Doug

1999 MY99 Outback (same shape as 2002). Previous oil was Castrol Formula R 5W-30. Oil consumption - approx. 500ml in 12,500km. Currently using Delvac 1. I've done 1,500km since the oil change....consumption so far = zero.

If you look at some of the Oz Subaru forums, there are apparently big oil consumption problems with the MY04 - MY06 Legacy / Outback 2.5 N/A engine (complete engine replacements under warranty in some cases).

one quart per 1,000 miles is generally considered as excessive consumption within the automotive industry here in N. America, pretty much all auto manufacturers use that standard to determine engine issues. You are quoting up to 1 litre per 1000 kms, so you might be just on the cust of tha standard. I find it strange that Subaru would say that it is normal, it really should be considered under warranty by your dealer. Unfortunately we aren't up on Russian laws, so try to pursue it through legal means in your country. I think you have a valid claim against Subaru for engine repairs. good luck.

Several years ago I worked on a small project in the Russian far east. Because shipping lubricants was difficult, we elected to use locally available gear oils and motors oils. I had considerable difficulty communicating US standards to our Russian partners engineers and could never relate to what the oils furnished actually were. However, they were much higher in sulfur than any US or European standards and caused rapid wear and engine noises in our welding machines (small diesels). It is entirely possible the motor oils you are using may not match standard for which the engines were designed.

2005 Legacy GT going to 7,500 OCI: has used about 1/4 US quart Mobil 1 10w-30 in 7,000 miles.
12,300 total miles on car.

If you are not using an oil that the manufacturer requires, you will undoubtedly lose warranty coverage.

2003 Legacy Limited, 5000 mi between oil changes, no make up oil added, 35000 miles total. Did shorter interval oil changes per owner's manual during break in period and 5K miles after that.

1999 Legacy Brighton, same OCI, has 100K miles total now. Consumes approx half quart of oil between oil changes; no make up added.

To me, 1L per 1000km (roughly one quart per 600 miles) is excessive oil consumption. Last time I owned a car which consumed that much oil, it was an old Aerostar with a leaking rear main seal.

Model: 2005 WRX STi

Oil: Castrol Syntec 0w-30 ("German Castrol")

Miles on oil: Currently 1,000, I plan to run the oil to 5,000 and then have a UOA performed.

Make-up oil added: None, and I don't expect to have any consumption either as my previous runs of dino and semi-synthetic showed very little consumption over the 2,500 mile OCI's I was using during the first 10,000 miles on the car.

Looks like Subaru oil consumption can be considered 'normal' everywhere but in Russia. Sounds like something is going on with the local Russian oil that is not consistent with oil produced elsewhere.

quote:

Originally posted by ex_MGB:
Might help if some Russian oil samples were sent DHL for analysis.

That is a good idea. I would highly suspect the quality of some of the oils being used.

Primus, any way to get some of these oils analyzed?

quote:

Originally posted by ediamiam:
Looks like Subaru oil consumption can be considered 'normal' everywhere but in Russia. Sounds like something is going on with the local Russian oil that is not consistent with oil produced elsewhere.

Not sure about that, I've read numerous reports of oil consumption on Impreza's (both WRX's and STi's) over on the NASIOC.com (North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club) discussion forums. There doesn't seem to be a definitive explanation as to why some people experience oil consumption on their Subaru, and others do not.

ex_MGB, haley10,
yes, the oil analysis would help, but it's nearly impossible to send a sample from here because of the procedure itself: the sender has to provide DHL and custom with number of documents proving the substance is safe.

ediamiam,
Those who has import cars use only international oil brands. Oil choice is quite wide in Russia. As for Subaru having an oil consumption they are filled with oils like M1 5W-50 and 0W-30, Castrol TXT 5W-30 and SLX 0W-30, Motul 300V 5W-30 and 10W-40. Mobil1 is the service oil at nearly all Subaru dealers in Russia. Well, I do not deny that may be something wrong with some of these oils too.

Primus - You can download the MSDS from the respective oil company's website, should satisfy DHL.

Sounds like Russia needs an "Ivan is the Oil Guy".

To dispatch something abroad is really more complicated that you can imagine. May be it would be easier to find a friend, better a girl friend at NAMI lab (Research Institute for Automobiles and Engines) or at the lab of Ministry of Defence that make most of lubricants certifications in Russia. Question is what to look for in the analysis.

I ask all, please, give your ideas about possible reasons of Subaru oil consumption. If to look at BITOG UOAs databank, Subaru engines are very tolerable to the choice of oil. So, what makes some of them to consume oil like a thirsty man drinks water in a desert ?

There were plenty of WRX and WRX STi UOAs, but no all of them have info about oil added. WRX owners, where are you ? Please, reply !

And thanks a lot to those who already advised here the requested info !

Are you saying that all you guys are exclusively using the imported Euro oils?
Then I have a couple of questions:

1. Where do you buy those oils? Do they come in sealed containers? Is there a possibility of tampering?

2. What's the situation with local Fuel quality? How does it compare to the Euro standards?

3. What oil filters do you use? Are they locally sourced or imported?

4. The air filters - brands, source, quality.

[ September 03, 2005, 03:46 AM: Message edited by: vad ]

Primus
My cars:
'98 WRX - many 5000km OCI's - Nil oil consumed
'00 WRX - many 5000km OCI's - Nil oil consumed
'92 RS Turbo - No consumption of oil at any time between changes with M1 0w-40 & 5w-50 (260,000km on the clock)
Brothers cars:
'00 WRX - castrol 5w-30 - Nil oil consumed
'00 WRX - mobil 0w-40 - Nil oil consumed
'98 WRX - castrol 10w-30 - Nil oil consumed

It would seem we have been lucky with oil consumption. Not a drop. Subaru's have a very good reputation for engine reliability. Apparently the boxer design lends itself well to engine longevity (main crank bearings not copping a pounding, short, rigid crank etc.) but every subaru i've seen always has little quirks. Most will clash gears a little on 2-3 changes when the gearbox is warm, clutches will eventually begin to shudder like no-other, and most subaru's returning from a service these days will have stop-leak goop floating around in the coolant, apparently to compensate for bad head gasket design that weeps/fails? or something like that. Just little cr ap that toyota, for instance, would have sorted out ages ago. I have seen a letter from subaru, in a stealership, that said anything under 1litre/1000km oil consumption was acceptable. Obviously the stealership had armed themselves with this gem from head office so as to make unhappy owners go away. I'm sure you are aware of the terrible piston slap problems subaru had aroud 1997-1998. Their pistons/piston-to-bore matching procedures sucked then and it wouldn't suprise me if some of their rings just suck now, simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back