Mobil1 - 5w-20 vs. 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings Wise Ones,

This is my first post and I'm currently exploring the site, so please pardon me if this question has been asked a million times.

I recently purchased a used 2008 Ford F-150 4x4 with a 5.4L 3-valve Triton engine. Ford's recommendation is to use 5w-20 and I was curious how much of a difference would I have using 5w-30? I just recently completed my first oil change using Mobil1 synthetic 5w-20, but I can buy Mobil1 5w-30 at my nearest Costco and save a few bucks. I live in Atlanta, GA where the summers are hot and the winters rarely cross freezing temperatures. What could be expected by using the 5w-30, instead of the 5w-20? I'm sure mileage would be impacted, but would it really be significant enough to take notice?

Also, I have read that using a Synthetic oil allows you to extend your oil change intervals, but is there any suggestions of how much longer it would extend it? I generally change my oil ever 5,000 - 7,500 miles.... would I maintain this interval? I have an equal mix of City vs. Highway miles.

Thanks for taking the time to pass on your wisdom.

Ford calls for the use of 20-weight oil in their engines. Use what is called for, to avoid warranty hassles. M1 5W-20 is a excellent oil, and will protect the engine well.

As for intervals, again, stick to what Ford instructs - 7500 miles - during the warranty period.

Nice second vehicle in your sig - got any pics/details?

Thanks!

You get two
welcome2.gif
welcome2.gif
. One for joining BITOG and one for the "Wise Ones" comment.

I would use the 5W-20 but either will work.

Either will work fine, there isn't as big a difference between the two as you might think. But I can see the suggestion to stick to the 5w-20 during your warranty, at 7500 mile OCI. If your owners manual mentions that 5w-30 is ok but not recommended (a la Honda) then I would probably use the 30 to save a few bucks.

Really, it's probably cheapest to buy the 5qt jugs from walmart. There have been quite a few $10.00 rebates. That's 5 quarts for 12 bucks.

M1 is good stuff, 7500 miles is reasonable.

welcome2.gif
As said, I'd run the M1 5w20* as Ford recommended and the OCI you mentioned should be fine. But, since you are asking the question you must want to run 5w30. IMO, you gain nothing, especially for your application.

BTW, you can do better than the $22 5qt jug everyday Wally price at Costco?

* Waiting on the thickerer is betterer crew to spread their creed .
35.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
. . . * Waiting on the thickerer is betterer crew to spread their creed .:popcrn:

LOL. Nah, the "thickerer is betterer crew" are only trying to save Honda guys from h*llfire and d*mnation. The Ford guys are on their own.
grin2.gif

sayjac, you are correct.... I was hoping that the 5w-30 wouldn't be reaching too far and there are many times in which Costco has coupons which makes it an even better deal. I've heard that the differences between 5w-20 vs. 5w-30 is slight. Although at present, I am very ignorant to this subject matter, but hope to learn more with everyone's help. :)

Everyone... thank you for the warm welcome. :)

addyguy, thank you for the comments on the car. I'll see if I can find a picture of the car to post.

Originally Posted By: Gurney
Originally Posted By: sayjac
. . . * Waiting on the thickerer is betterer crew to spread their creed.
35.gif

LOL. Nah, the "thickerer is betterer crew" are only trying to save Honda guys from h*llfire and d*mnation. The Ford guys are on their own.
grin2.gif

LOL.gif
Glad we can laugh about it. I was setting a mini flame there.
grin2.gif
cheers3.gif

To the OP, if it's cheaper for you, 5w30 won't hurt a thing. As you said, the differences are slight.

welcome2.gif
Leopold2 (visions of the Bugs Bunny cartoon where everyone said Leopold
shocked2.gif
as Bugs was the conductor in the opera )

Get a cheaper product if you're going to adhere to the OEM recommendations. MC 5w-20 ..or any other conventional or semi-synthetic.

M1 is a great product at a fair price point, but there's no reason to spend any more than you have to for the service you're going to endure ..which appears unremarkable.

What's your annual mileage? I got the 50:50 city:highway.

Gary,

I would say that I average between 15,000 to 20,000 miles per year and perhaps would Tow my car once, perhaps twice maximum.. I would hope to be able to run 5w-30 all year long..... but perhaps a middle ground of Summer 5w-30 and Winter 5w-20.

Overall, is 5w-30 a bad idea for year round use?

M1 would serve you well under those conditions but IF you wanted to save a few bucks Pennzoil dino would also be a great choice.

Originally Posted By: Leopold2
Gary,

I would say that I average between 15,000 to 20,000 miles per year and perhaps would Tow my car once, perhaps twice maximum.. I would hope to be able to run 5w-30 all year long..... but perhaps a middle ground of Summer 5w-30 and Winter 5w-20.

Not at all. I would run the 5w-30 all year round. Heck, I've been using a straight 30 in my "Honda" for 76,000 miles year round.

Nothing wrong with 20wt oils... Use M1 5w20 with confidence. It's a great oil and will serve you well. Change at the interval listed in your owners manual.

cheers3.gif
&
welcome2.gif

You may have warranty concerns so follow it. My 07 Focus calls for 5-20, but I use M1 5-30EP and it performs great. No fears. The regular M1 is good for 10,000 and the EP goes to 15,000 but as I can't shake my OCI habit I change it out at 9-12,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Leopold2
Gary,

No. You're obviously doing enough fully warmed events to neutralize any potential benefits. I'd probably go with something like MC 5w-30 due to its price if purchased at Wally's. Otherwise, it's not too much of an issue, imo.

I'd probably factor in fuel consumption into the mix. You've got more than enough warmed up usage, but your city cycle can make your odometer rather numb. You don't have to record your gallons as long as your usage is consistent, just figure your mpg and track it.

After your warranty paranoia is gone, I'd upgrade to something that will allow me to go 6 months. There are many that will manage this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back