Pennzoil vs Castrol vs Havoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypothetical Question: You need a case each of 5W30 and 10W30 conventional oil with SM rating. Pennzoil, Castrol and Havoline are exactly the same price. Which would you buy and why?

All just going on recent results. I have ran havoline in my father in laws 97 ranger since 80000 miles and have had good service with some intervals going into the 5000 mile range, while keeping a very clean engine. I am using pennzoil in my truck now with good results. It does not turn black as quickly as the havoline so that does concern me. I have used Castrol in the past but grew tired of the marketing hype and they thinking the public is stupid.

Thanks to "like a rock" for your reply! Are you thinking that it is better for the oil to turn black quickly like the Havoline did or better not to turn black as quickly like the Pennzoil did. I have read some articles indicating that the turning black or dark indicates that the oil is doing its cleaning job and, if that is true, the Havoline may be doing a better job of cleaning than the Pennzoil.

Yes, Castrol's marketing can be downright hilarious--or at least would be if it weren't duping so many of the "great unwashed."

I put Castrol in the same category with Amsoil. Both companies offer good products, but both have tainted their images (severely in Amsoil's case) with marketing rhetoric ad nauseum.

Havoline has a better base stock than Castrol (regular dino oils, remember). That can be categorically said due to the fact that Havoline shears less than Castrol in UOA, when equal weights in equal situations are compared.

Pennzoil is very close to Havoline, perhaps just as good. Some might successfully argue better.

If I found Castrol on sale (and I did a while back, a buck a quart for "Start-Up" 10W30, and alas, I can now start my car's engine without instantly and totally destroying the entire valve train, cam included, like used to happen every time I started the engine with other oils...
rolleyes.gif
)... I would use the Castrol. It's a decent oil. Decent, but not the best.
smile.gif

Dan

Thanks fuel tanker man! So I think your answer to my question would be Havoline if all three were the same price. Is that correct?

Fish, it just seems that havoline 5w-30 turned black more quickly than the pennzoil in my truck now. These are under the same oci's and the same time of year. That would lead me to think that the havoline would have a bit of the edge in the detergent area but that is only a guess. I know that in my father in laws Ranger you can see up into the oil pan and the oil filter opening and those area's are very clean. He has been using havoline for 50000 miles since he bought the turck with 80000 miles on the clock. Really either the havoline or the pennzoil would work well. They are both formulated nearly the same- look at the voa's. Havoline is a bit cheaper but the pennzoil can be found on sale often. I respect both oil's and will have a hard time deciding which to use in my truck next change. The pennzoil really makes the truck run great. The main point is that both these dino oils offer great value with good results in modern engines and will rival synthetics on any short 3000 mile oci.

It is also very interesting to note the low valve train wear using both pennzoil and havoline. Maybe Johnny could chime in on this. It seems like synthetics would have a little higher iron count over similar oci's. I know tooslick looks at valve train wear as an indication of the quality of a oil.

The VOA's show that Havoline is making more use of Magnesium. (Havoline about 55 ppm Magnesium, Pennzoil less than 10). Other additives in each oil remain similar. But the healthy dose of Mg in Havoline might explain the better cleaning effect which has been noted.

Pennzoil is a good oil, but they advertise profusely. Advertising costs.
smile.gif

I think Havoline is the much better value. It's on sale 'till the end of August at Advance Auto for under 13 dollars a case, after a two buck and change rebate. If you don't send the rebate in, it's still only 1.28 a quart.

Dan

I should have mentioned, too, that Boron is about 5 to 10 times higher in the Havoline oil versus Pennzoil.

In short, the Havoline add pack and price point makes this decision a "no brainer."
smile.gif

Dan

I think that these oils are so similar I'd be very surprised to see much if any difference in the UOA's which could be blamed or credited specifically to the oil.

Even the Castrol will work nicely, I'm sure.

Havoline is the best value. It's at least as good as the Pennzoil (and arguably better) and it's about 50 to 75 cents per quart cheaper to buy.

quote:

Originally posted by fish:
Hypothetical Question: You need a case each of 5W30 and 10W30 conventional oil with SM rating. Pennzoil, Castrol and Havoline are exactly the same price. Which would you buy and why?

Hard to believe all three of these oils are on sale at the same time.

If not, then why buy a case of (1) brand?

Why not buy enough quarts to get the job done & see how your vehicle reacts to it? That way you can switch if the results are not favorable & you won't be stuck with several leftover jugs.

I prefer the dino brands you chose in this order:
Havoline
Pennzoil
Castrol

Had you seleced a synthetic, I would of chosen:
Castrol
Pennzoil
Havoline

Also keep in mind the formulations are changeing from production run to production run. If you follow a conservative OCI any one of these oils or any other "brand" should get you at least 200,000 out of the engine. If you do the proper maintance and not abuse the vehical.

THANKS VERY MUCH TO ALL OF YOU FINE FELLOWS FOR THIS VERY INFORMATIVE INFORMATION! A SPECIAL THANKS TO FUEL TANKER MAN FOR HIS COMPLETE EXPLANATION AND EXPERIENCE WITH THESE OILS!!!I BOUGHT SEVERAL CASES OF HAVOLINE AT ADVANCE ON SALE AS MENTIONED ABOVE BY FUEL TANKER MAN. I ALSO HAVE A COUPLE CASES OF CASTROL BUT WONDERED WHETHER I SHOULD HAVE GONE WITH PENNZOIL INSTEAD OF ONE OF THESE. A SPECIAL THANKS TO FUEL TANKER MAN FOR HIS COMPLETE EXPLANATION AND EXPERIENCE WITH THESE OILS!!! I WILL BE WATCHING FOR ANY FURTHER COMMENTS ON THIS SUBJECT.

Triple_SE7en: At my Advance Auto the sale is on cases only. You pay $1.28 per quart for the case and then can get $2.40 back on each case with the rebate. However, can get the rebate only on two cases per address. I sent it in on four cases but they sent me a site to check on rebates and they said they are only giving it to me on two. No good sale on the jugs at Advance Auto. Best deal on the five quart jugs is at Walmart for the 5W30 only which works out to $1.29 per quart. The 10W30 jugs are more per quart.

I think I should clarify something here...
smile.gif

I'm not a guru. I just read the tea leaves (UOA's) like everyone else does. Like thousands of other folks, I've used all three of these oils in earlier and recent formulations. No problems with any of them, and that's what should be expected with API certified oils.

There are many folks in these pages who have studied these matters more than I have. My hat is off to those guys, for sometimes allowing me to "stand on their shoulders" and see what I could not see before.
smile.gif

Dan

Let me chime in one more time. I use pennzoil but my good friend only uses castrol he will not use anything else. But he dad only uses quaker state. It goes to brand loyality more than anything. Any SL/SM oil that your car runs smoother one is the best one and leaves you with more $$$ in your wallet. Dont buy into brand XXX sludges engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back