E10 phase separation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is e10 ? - is that gas with "up to 10% ETHANOL" as it says on the pump , OR IS E10 SOMETHING ELSE.
WILL STABIL STOP phase separation? How big an issue is this?

And this has what to do with "Cooling System Fluids & Additives"?
smirk2.gif

I swear, the more I read on here the more I become convinced that a lot of people CAN'T read or follow directions. They can just post.

There is a section for fuel and fuel additives a little further down the main forum menu.

But yes, E10 is gas with 10% ethanol. No idea about Stabil, but I don't think phase separation is a problem unless you don't plan on using the gas for several months or years.

Stabil tech. told me NO product will stop phase separation.

Pri G claims to "lessen" it. Star Tron has mystery enzymes that protects gasoline from all evil-doers.

IMO, phase separation CAN be a problem if 1.)the fuel supplier is negligent with their product quality control or 2.) you store your fuel for long periods under harsh conditions (near empty tank, very high humidity/water intrusion, etc.).

There's tons of talk about E-10..."been using it for 20 years with NO problems" to "it eats metal carburators and rubber seals in lawn equipment and breaks down after 4 weeks".

Pick your poison.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
And this has what to do with "Cooling System Fluids & Additives"?
smirk2.gif

I swear, the more I read on here the more I become convinced that a lot of people CAN'T read or follow directions. They can just post.
The guy can't make a mistake... Chill out!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
what is e10 ? - is that gas with "up to 10% ETHANOL" as it says on the pump , OR IS E10 SOMETHING ELSE.
WILL STABIL STOP phase separation? How big an issue is this?

Yes, E10 is fuel blended with 10% alcohol.

Time in tank and moisture access are the factors for phase separation. It is not a big concern for road vehicles, unless the fuel is going to sit for an extended period and/or is exposed to high moisture conditions. But it is a huge problem for marine engines, where hundreds of gallons in vented systems can sit around for months.

Once it happens, you have to drain the alcohol/water goo from the bottom, and what's left is usually depleted by at least three octane points.

There is no additive that can completely stop phase separation. The best advice is to use your fuel promptly.

Sta-bil has it's new (and pricey) product for marine use that claims to neutralize the evil ethanol in fuel.

Has anyone used it? I'm a big fan of old (red) Sta-bil formula. My boat would work flawlessly on 1-2 year old fuel. But now, it's hard to buy fuel without 10% ethanol locally.

Off topic: Here in Lexington, KY ethanol is not required by the authorities, and stations are not required to post whether their gasoline contains ethanol. The only station I've seen post ethanol content is Wal-Mart, so while I don't buy fuel there, I applaud their disclosure.

I am sure that Speedway (for example) has ethanol in their fuel here. How? There is a repeatable difference in fuel consumption between Speedway fuel and Meijer fuel, of about 5%. Wel-Mart fuel produces the same MPG as Speedway (yes, I did fill up there a couple of times, and I've used Speedway fuel many times due to their proliferation here.).

Here Meijer fuel tends to cost a few cents more per gallon than Speedway (2% or less). The only way consumers without lobby power can make a small point is to pay for what they believe is ethanol free. In the end it actually costs less due to the 5% MPG improvement. I see RV and boat owners filling up at Meijer, perhaps they learned the difference early.

Why this off topic post? If ethanol is not required in Alabama there may be stations around with ethanol-free gasoline. If the disclosure is not required it could take some experimenting to find them.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
If the disclosure is not required it could take some experimenting to find them.

I think disclosures are required here. So far, every station I saw had "up to 10%" sign. I will look more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back