Castrol Syntec or Mobil 1-Which one/Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of use and OCI would be the first question I would ask. I prefer Mobil 1 because of having used it in the past and liking the results. Many say that it has more robust base oils and an equally aggressive additive package. Syntec isn't even in the same league in my opinion. At the end of the day both are going to work fine with a reasonable OCI. The answer to your question really will be, Brand Preference from everyone here.

Castrol Syntec.. It seems we don't have alot of data on its performance here. Personally I think they are a little proud on price. Unless more data is gathered I would spend my money on the M1.

I am running Syntec in my company vehicl.. actually my company is running syntec in all of them. This is an oppurtunity to get some data.

Unless we're talking German 0w30, Mobil1 gets my vote. Otherwise, GC is great stuff, and use in my fathers VQ30.

I had some Syntec 5w30 that I put in my SL1 when I had it, it was the thinnest 5w I've ever used. the consumption was the highest with this oil out of any oil I've ever poured into that crankcase. And for the price, not interested in going that route ever again.

I have been very happy with PP, M1, Syntec or Synpower. The one that has the low price for the moment goes in my cars. FWIW-- Oldtommy

Originally Posted By: BobFout
I would use Mobil 1 over Syntec.

^^Absolutely! M1>Syntec........no contest

Last edited:
I think Syntec is an excellent oil that is underrated sometimes.

So, Castrol Syntec over M1. The only grade of M1 I would take over Syntec is the TDT 5W-40.

I think Castrol's base oils (Group III+ wax isomerate) are at least as good as the PAO/GIII blends M1 is using. And I have concerns about the high iron many of the lighter grades of M1 produces on many UOA's. And M1 can be noisy.
LOL.gif

Mobil 1. Even if Syntec were a better oil, Castrol's whole marketing of it as "synthetic" years back really set me off. And that opened the whole can of worms with hydro-cracked oils being labeled as syn.

Whichever is cheaper at the time, which in my area, is usually M1. I found an AZ near my home that stocks GC, so I'll probably be trying that sometime soon!!

I am running Syntec 5W20 in a Mercury Sable (4 free cases from Castrol) and 05 vintage GC Green in a Pontiac Montana SV6, two rotillers, a push mower, a power washer, and a riding mower (I like this stuff and still have about 40 quarts).

Originally Posted By: Drivebelt

I think Castrol's base oils (Group III+ wax isomerate) are at least as good as the PAO/GIII blends M1 is using. And I have concerns about the high iron many of the lighter grades of M1 produces on many UOA's. And M1 can be noisy.
LOL.gif

Where did you hear/read that Syntec was Group III+? I'd be happy if it was (as I bought a load of it), but I'd always been lead to believe it was Group III stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back