pump oil for pressure washer ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at a home use gas powered pressure washer. They recomend a non detergent, non foaming oil for the pressure pump. any recomendations ???

These pumps can run very hot - my first pump wore out (severe scoring on the wobble plate) on the OEM oil. I installed a new pump and added my own synthetic blend (PAO/POE) and it has run noticeably cooler for the last five years.

Be careful as most straight SAE 30 non-detergent oils are SA or SB and may not take the heat. Personally I would use a synthetic SAE 30 SL or SM if you can find one, and if not I would use a synthetic 10W-30 SL/SM. I really don't know why they say to use a non-detergent oil, but I would ignore that in favor of a robust oil that takes the heat and has good wear protection.

Might want to write the pump manufacturer to ask the basis for their non-detergent recommendation. Perhaps they are concerned with possible water emulsion in a detergent oil, but I am not seeing any water in my pump oil.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Perhaps a good quality compressor oil?

That would be a good choice, preferably a 30 wt recip oil.

Tom NJ

I have a Honda 5.5 HP with Annovi pump that is 15 years old. I use Amsoil 10w-40 engine oil in the pump. Seems to work well.

It says to use a 10w-40 non Detergent oil, but it seems to work well. I have never seen any metal particles in the oil I drain out.

Some pump MFGrs say to use their special pump oil. If they have a synthetic pump oil I would use it over the dino pump oil.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I have a Honda 5.5 HP with Annovi pump that is 15 years old. I use Amsoil 10w-40 engine oil in the pump. Seems to work well.

It says to use a 10w-40 non Detergent oil, but it seems to work well. I have never seen any metal particles in the oil I drain out.

Some pump MFGrs say to use their special pump oil. If they have a synthetic pump oil I would use it over the dino pump oil.

If you have the AR commercial type pump,they run nice and cool.Thats a plunger pump I believe,not an axium or what ever their called

I saw a pressure washer in the hardware store the other day (made in USA for < $500) & looked through the manual for oil choice. They recommended a 20W40.

I have a Lowes Brand 5.5hp with the Chinese made Honda look-a-like engine.Its got the [censored] one season wonder Faip pump on it.I use the B&S synthetic pump oil in it,and its been going over three years now.Of course I change the oil often,and dont let it run too long with out the water flowing,that will over heat the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back