Valvoline 5w40 MST...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as I was praising the M1 5w40 ESP that we are running in the e320 cdi, our local MB dealer just changed the 229.51 spec oil that they are using.

We took the '09 GL Bluetec in for its 1st service at 10k, and it came back filled with Valvoline 5w40 MST instead of the expected M1. I am a bit disappointed as our MB vehicles have always been run on Mobil 1 with excellent results, and I have never actually tried a Valvoline product.

Anyone tried the Valvoline Synpower MST oils?

Originally Posted By: opposite_locker
We took the '09 GL Bluetec in for its 1st service at 10k,

What is the typical OCI? Is it 10K or is it variable?

In any case, I think that Valvoline should be fine. I'm actually looking into it myself, although it's the 5w-40 HST version, meeting BMW spec and with higher starting TBN.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
Valvoline 5w40 might be an okay oil, but it is not the best.

But who's to say that M1 is the best?

If both oils are on the approved MB oil list, they must both be good enough in the eyes of the engine manufacturer since both have gone through their testing procedure.

It'd be interesting to see UOAs from both oils in this engine under similar conditions.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Valvoline 5w40 might be an okay oil, but it is not the best.

But who's to say that M1 is the best?

If both oils are on the approved MB oil list, they must both be good enough in the eyes of the engine manufacturer since both have gone through their testing procedure.

As a one-time employee and shareholder of Ashland Oil, makers of Valvoline, it is my opinion that Valvoline is not the best.

Interesting. How long ago have you stopped working for them? I've read comments that their products have improved lately, alas no substantial data.

OCI is set at a relatively conservative 10k miles in the US, but is variable up to 30k km in Europe based on an OLM. I'm fairly sure that the 5w40 HST is not a low-SAPS oil, which is the reason for higher-TBN. The low TBN of 229.51 low-SAPS oils is the reason MB pulled the plug on using this oil in gasoline-powered MB's in the United States...something about the TBN being too low to handle our ethanol-infested gasoline.

I'm sure the Valvoline is an adequate oil for this vehicles with the 229.51 spec, but I am still thinking of draining it early in favor of some M1 ESP...

BTW, when I called and asked the parts counted why the oil switch to Valvoline, answer was simply "MB must have been able to get a better price on Valvoline than M1..."

Here are the specs on the two...

Mobil 1 5w40 ESP

SAE Grade 5W-40
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 81.1
cSt @ 100ºC 13.35
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 167
Sulphated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 0.63
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, ASTM D4683 3,8
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -39
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 236
Density @ 15ºC, kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.85

Valvoline Synpower 5w40 MST

Vis @ 100 C 14.5
Vis @ 40 C 89
Total Base No 7
Flash Point C 230
Pour Point C -39
NOACK % wt loss 10
Sulfated ash 0.78
Viscosity index 170

I have a subaru impreza 1.5 (regular not turbo)m.y. 2008.I would like to ask your opinion for the Valvoline V291 DuraBlend SAE 5w-30 Motor Oil, is it the right oil for my car? Please let me know!!!

Given that the Valvoline synthetic MST 5W-30 is the only brand of oil (other than their "house brand") that I can confirm meets BMW's warranty requirements I'm gonna go with it for my intermediate oil changes.Does anyone know where you can buy it? I'll be darned if I can find it anywhere. TIA!

Originally Posted By: JimFitzpatrick
Given that the Valvoline synthetic MST 5W-30 is the only brand of oil (other than their "house brand") that I can confirm meets BMW's warranty requirements I'm gonna go with it for my intermediate oil changes.Does anyone know where you can buy it? I'll be darned if I can find it anywhere. TIA!

I thought you had an Infinity? If you have a diesel-powered BMW as well, then I hope the oil you use is diesel-rated. Very few 5w30 synthetics are diesel-rated.

I thought you had an Infinity? If you have a diesel-powered BMW as well, then I hope the oil you use is diesel-rated. Very few 5w30 synthetics are diesel-rated.

Either you have a good memory or you used the "search" function ;-).Yes,I had an Infiniti but no longer.I just bought a BMW 335d.I hope that I can find a source for oil other than the dealership a)because they charge a fortune and b)because,yesterday,the parts dept tried to convince me that BMW's 15w-40 synthetic is the oil to use...year round.When I asked the guy how in God's name a 15W oil can be used during a New England winter he just said "that's what used".Amazing,IMO! Athough I certainly could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure that Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5w30 meets BMW LL04...

Yes,I believe you're correct.I just found that out yesterday from the Mobil 1 website after I wrote my earlier post.I'm planning to go no more that 6 months and 7.5K miles with OCIs so I'll be using that for the intermediate change and the dealer will use their BMW labeled oil for the free change.

Have decided to take the GL in next week to dump the Valvoline and throw in some M1 ESP 5w40

Why? Are you draining early just to get the Valvoline out? That, IMO, is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back