chinese valve stems

Status
Not open for further replies.
my mom had another flat tire on her 2000 Grand Marquis. about 3 years ago when i worked at Sears i had 4 new Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads 225/60/16 H-rated put on. i wanted to use the metal bolt in valve stems but they wouldnt fit on the wheels so i had to use the black valve stems. well she has had her 3rd flat in about 4 months due to the stupid valve stems cracking. luckily i got the road hazard coverage so sears fixed it for free again. the tech that i trained when i worked there did the work so it was done properly. he checked all the tires and found 2 of them besides the one that was flat had cracked valve stems so he just replaced them all. so annoying that you cant even trust valve stems anymore.

Discount Tire and one other retailer actually issued recalls regarding valve stems (check their website). I am guessing that they were sourced from china. and some tires are now made in china. scary. in one case, the china mfr stopped adding the gum layer to the tire to save money. of course there were many tires that failed.

Ford has recalls too, our techs have replaced a lot of valve stems in the past week or so.

for once the Tire Pressure Sensors that are part of the valve stem are a good idea. i really hate it when wheels don't allow the bolt in stems to be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back