What do you think of Hess Gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Hess works for me here in FL. No difference in preformance or mileage. I do try to not buy one brand always. Volvo did a study long ago and recomended switching brands regularly. There testing demonstrated that some fuel detergets worked better on some types of deposits than others. Maybe not the same now but, I still mix top tier with non-top tier.

Yeah, same here. I usally switch between Hess, Chevron, and BP.

I was sad to see the Hess station down the road from me close.
The man that owned it for years retired, some chain store bought it and sells generic gas.
I always had good luck with Hess gas, might not have been super great top tier stuff, but it was always, good , consistent quality.
And they maintained their filters and pumps regularly!
In about 5 years of running their gas regularly, I never had a single problem with their fuel.

Originally Posted By: LS1MAN
Originally Posted By: StevieC
BP I could see possibly, but XOM? I don't think so...
LOL.gif

WHAT...what is wrong with Exxon/Mobil/Esso gas? I've ripped apart motors to replace heads and such on vehicles that lived on Mobil diets(93 octane) and the valves had almost 0 carbon on them. Mobil used to be pretty popular here until about 4 years ago when the pulled the indi dealers out of our market. Just curious what makes you think its a [censored] gas.

Actually I have put over a million miles on using nothing but Exxon Mobil [regular] gas..I put 300K miles on a 88 Town Car using it..Mostly everyone I know uses Exxon Mobil.

I had one friend [New Jeresy] who got a bad batch of BP one time and it costed him a small fortune to get the car back on line again..Also the same thing happened to another friend using Hess..But that was 20 years ago.

My sister uses nothing but Chevron for the past 20 years and she has no complaints with it..For some reason Chevron is always 5 cents more gallon in my area then anyone else.

Oh no doubt... I used it for 70K KM in my truck when I was buying gas from Canadian Tire who's supplied by XOM and I have had no ill effects, I'm just talking about Top-Tier.

XOM is all about profits because they are a huge company so why would they want to convert to top-tier when there is no financial gain but only an associated cost to do so?

The others like Shell etc, are out to gain market share and to try and over take the worlds biggest oil company XOM customers, so they are in a different position IMO and thus try to offer a superior product to gain customers.

It's all a game, and if I were the CEO of XOM I can't say I wouldn't play it the same way!
thumbsup2.gif

(The cheapest cost product that will retain customers!)

For quite a while, Shell has been CT's supplier...definetly for their oil, and I'm assuming for their gas. I think they cut ties with Esso way back before 2000......

I've been using HESS Gasoline(amongst others) for over 35 years and never an issue. They're competativly priced with the other stations down the road from them(within a penny or two) and I shop by price without traveling out of my circle. What I mean is, that I buy fuel somewhere between home and work from the place that has the lowest price at that time and I fill up when I need fuel. I never chisel($10-$15 here and there), I always fill the tank when the needle is at about a quarter tank remaining. Gasoline isn't a product that I have ever had any problems with.

This doesn't mean that I don't fill up from other filling stations when Im away from home/work and I need fuel. I'll fill up at just about any station when I need gas. Running on "E" isn't something that I like to play with.

I tought my children(adults now) that when your driving out of town and you need fuel, don't mess around looking to save a penny, just fill up and get on your way! They know enough to check/change the oil.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Oh no doubt... I used it for 70K KM in my truck when I was buying gas from Canadian Tire who's supplied by XOM and I have had no ill effects, I'm just talking about Top-Tier.

XOM is all about profits because they are a huge company so why would they want to convert to top-tier when there is no financial gain but only an associated cost to do so?

The others like Shell etc, are out to gain market share and to try and over take the worlds biggest oil company XOM customers, so they are in a different position IMO and thus try to offer a superior product to gain customers.

It's all a game, and if I were the CEO of XOM I can't say I wouldn't play it the same way!
thumbsup2.gif

(The cheapest cost product that will retain customers!)

For quite a while, Shell has been CT's supplier...definetly for their oil, and I'm assuming for their gas. I think they cut ties with Esso way back before 2000......

I can't remember where I found out, but they are still XOM for fuels. My UOA's insolubles dropped considerably after switching to Shell so I would imagine they aren't Shell fuels, even if they have different add-packs but were still sourced by Shell.

There are two ways to look at it:

Walmart - cheapest only, sacifice quality just to get it to work
others - value add, charge more

I think Exxon/Mobil/Esso falls in the second. Exxon/Mobil/Esso and BP's fuel is top tier quality in terms of additives and cleanliness, just not certified. They choose not to participate in the top tier program, due to constraints on other formula specs.

Hess is basic fuel. Basic additives to meet EPA mins. Nothing bad, nothing good. If you want no buildup overtime, look elsewhere. If you are getting rid of the car, it works fine.

What is such a mystery? This topic shows up all the time here.

Gasoline, pre-additive is a commodity and regulated. all the same. Post additive, it is very different and works much better for longer term. There's nothing to "feel" after a tank, unless it is contaminated. Additives work over the long time and you have to pay for it. Simple as that. Techron in a bottle or a brand that has it or you get carbon buildup after 50-70k.

Of course, any brand that isn't contaminated works "just fine" at the time, you simply don't trace the problems back to the fuel later.

All depends how long you keep your car.

Define "cheapest". With gas pushig the $3 mark, the Shells, BP's etc. around me are within 5% of the cheap, no-name stations.

The Hess and BP near me are always within a nickel of each other. Guess which one I frequent.

I do notice idle-quality differences between say Hess/Citgo and BP. Silky-smooth on BP, a bit of shaking on the others.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Define "cheapest". With gas pushig the $3 mark, the Shells, BP's etc. around me are within 5% of the cheap, no-name stations.

The Hess and BP near me are always within a nickel of each other. Guess which one I frequent.

I do notice idle-quality differences between say Hess/Citgo and BP. Silky-smooth on BP, a bit of shaking on the others.

I wish we had a BP in my area. Philly stole them all
smirk2.gif

I usually use Shell, Phillips 66, and Break Time (MFA). Unfortunately, no Chevrons here.

I never saw my '06 Camry idle as low as 600 until I tried using grocery store gas from HyVee Grocery Store. Usually the car idles no lower than 650. Did HyVee gas do something bad to cause the lower idling? Or maybe it was just a coincidence that the one time I tried HyVee gas was the one time the car idled lower than I'd ever seen it idle. Happened last summer during very hot weather.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: Drew2000

I wish we had a BP in my area. Philly stole them all
smirk2.gif

Have two near me
48.gif

Last edited:
Hess has slowly beeen moving into my area over the last 5 years or so. I actually prefer it to a lot of the other name brands. My 3 Chevy vehicles ran really well on it. No problems with it. May not be top tier but it is good quality.

We have several Hess stations around town and they usually are cheaper than most other brands. My parents have used Hess for a long time and don't seem to have any problems with it.

My luck hasn't been so good, though. Everytime I have run Hess in my Silverado I get the loudest ticking noise - very consistent, steady tick. It goes away after I go through a few tanks of something else. I typically use BP or Chevron and get better MPG.

The first test of gasoline quality is to run several tankfuls on repeatable runs to calculate your actual cost per mile. Here in the West Coast BP's ARCO gasoline is the cheapest and the only one that produces noticeably lower miles per gallon. It is no bargain. Really cheap gas might not be up to the octane level shown on the pump sticker...does your state check that occasionally or ever?

The long term cleanliness is a concern, and I'd suggest either using a top tier gasoline, or switching brands frequently, or buying the cheapest gas you can find and adding an effective product like FP60 if you still get a lower total cost per mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back