$14.83 for Harley Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: craigq
It must be hot in AZ wearing proper gear...

You know ... it's not too bad. That is the Cycleport "Ultra II Air Mesh" and it's really very breathable.

I think even it would be uncomfortable for me in, say, Houston where it's very humid. But it's really dry in Tucson and while it's hot, it's bearable.

Originally Posted By: Jeff_D
grin2.gif
You pretty much cover all the bases, for others scorn, don't you?

I do my best ... I do my best!

Originally Posted By: Jeff_D
I went to a smaller ride/rally this last week-end here in Mn. Just over 1250 bikes.

There were crotch rocket riders camping right next to us, Goldwings riders too, trikes, and riders on just about every brand made.

Somehow we all got along and had alot of fun.

That's what motorcycling is about to me.

That what it should be about for everyone.

Originally Posted By: TucsonDon
Originally Posted By: PT1
it is just some ridiculous insecurity about whatever non-Harley bike they are riding.

I'm quite secure about the motorcycle I ride.

It's me I'm insecure about ... check this out:

Geek.jpg

It's official -- I deserve 100% of the ridicule and scorn in the biker world. The rest of you? Just ride!
banana2.gif

LOL! You have a point.....nice wing....better be careful or you will get arrested by the fashion police.
grin2.gif

I just read through this entire thread. While not an instant classic like the “cheapskate” thread, it was pretty good.
grin2.gif

I tend to appreciate all things mechanical. So, all bikes are at least a little cool to me. I don’t ride myself. My younger brother was always into bikes … both on-road and off. He was always good on two wheels so I left that to him. I was the sports/race car lover in the family.
cool.gif

Having said that, I lean more towards the high-tech, low-weight sport bikes as my preference. The Harleys have their charm … like really old Jaguar or a ‘57 Chevy. But with their low-tech approach, they’ll never be my favorite type of machine.

But If I had to group bikers into two categories, it would be riders that know about their bikes and do at least some of the work themselves and the guys who are happily clueless, accidents-waiting- to-happen. The I-polish-my-bike-but-I-can’t-change-the-oil crowd gets no respect from me.
smirk2.gif

Oh, and live_to_hunt, I agree with dnewton3. Go with a Wix (or Baldwin or Hastings) and leave the OEM filter on the shelf.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace

I tend to appreciate all things mechanical. So, all bikes are at least a little cool to me.

Me too....sometimes I wrench on my bike more than ride it. The wife will look at me kind of funny and say "Now what does it need?"
grin2.gif
Someday she will figure it out that it's not the machine....it's me.
wink.gif

I'd say go ahead and buy the equivalent. Harley motors are not so technologically advanced that they would REQUIRE such filtration. Like any other manufacturer trying to make a buck, they always pull out the "pay me now or pay me later" card.

I've ridden American and non-American bikes. I did the leather and black shirts, I've done the sport bike jacket & helmet thing. I'd rather ride and wear anything than not ride at all.

You're a Harley rider if you ride a Harley. Whether you do your own wrenching is up to you. Everybody has their own abilities, and some are more able with a stack a cash than a pile of wrenches. And, when it comes to something that has to bring you home alive, I'd just as soon have somebody working on it that does that stuff every day. I do as much work on everything I can manage, it sucks paying other people to do things I could probably manage if I tried.

But to be so vehemently disdainful of a certain group of riders would, to me, indicate a true lack of understanding of what being a member of the riding fraternity is all about. Better to ignore and hope for enlightenment next time met.

"I'd rather ride and wear anything than not ride at all."

Why not ride anything ... while wearing nothing at all? You are, after all, Mr. Incredible.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible
I'd say go ahead and buy the equivalent. Harley motors are not so technologically advanced that they would REQUIRE such filtration.

I don't think it is technical advancement that led them to the 5 micron filter spec on the TC88 and TC96 engines as they used to spec 10 micron. But after 2005 they began producing a different crankshaft and cam tensioner setup that does have a record of more than comfortable runout on the crank which in some of the bikes cause the cam drive chains to eat the tensioner shoes up relatively quickly. Then suddenly they change filtration to 5 micron...Hmmmm
smirk2.gif
Looks to me like they are trying to avoid a costly redesign & or costly recall from little orange tensioner shoe bits grenading the motor by locking up the gerotor oil pump. So I think the 5 micron filter is a cheap but necessary band-aid. Now this is all just MHO.

But why else would they change from 10 to 5 micron?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tmf2
Originally Posted By: boraticus

You are correct. I will never understand Harley Davidson.

To me, they are a noisy, overly expensive compilation of glitzy chromed parts mounted on a heavy chassis around an anachronism of an engine whose manufacturer is trying to convince the world that it's the only "real" motorcycle. Other than look good, they generally do nothing really well except empty bank accounts.

I'll buy some of your argument but I still won't buy a Harley. Even at available bargain basement prices.

Having an acute and clear understanding of what motorcycles are and should be, Harleys fall short in my assessment. Add the 'Village People' regalia and antics of far too many Harley owners to the equation and the picture is complete.

Enjoy your riding. I just got back from an 80 mile back roads ride on my '74 RD350. Most fun you can have with your clothes on.
n

80 mile ride, WOW and you slam G_Man for his mileage. My wife and I got back from a small putt 350 miles. 80 miles is laughable and we ride those HDs you so dislike at least we ride our bikes. I get a big kick of the anti HD crowd all worried about how a Harley rider washes his/her bike or not or how some HD riders dress or how they look. Hey do what you want wear ride and wash and chrome as you please I don't give a [censored] about your insignificant opinion. Ride the bike of your choice and enjoy yourself and this Harley bashing just comes across as some veiled juvenile Harley Davidson envy.

I agree. Eighty miles is just an afternoon toot. I just got back from a 1000 mile ride on the Valkyrie through Wisconsin & Minnesota.

With Harleys going as cheap as popcorn, how could anyone possibly have HD envy? If I had even the slightest inclination to own one, I could have a garage full of them by noon tomorrow. No thanks.

Have to go now. I think I have a mosquito carcass on the chrome to scrub off.

Originally Posted By: PT1
I don't think it is technical advancement that led them to the 5 micron filter spec on the TC88 and TC96 engines as they used to spec 10 micron. But after 2005 they began producing a different crankshaft and cam tensioner setup that does have a record of more than comfortable runout on the crank which in some of the bikes cause the cam drive chains to eat the tensioner shoes up relatively quickly. Then suddenly they change filtration to 5 micron...Hmmmm
smirk2.gif
Looks to me like they are trying to avoid a costly redesign & or costly recall from little orange tensioner shoe bits grenading the motor by locking up the gerotor oil pump. So I think the 5 micron filter is a cheap but necessary band-aid. Now this is all just MHO.

But why else would they change from 10 to 5 micron?

Interesting theory. And it would be totally plausible except in the Big Twin oil circuit, the filter is the LAST thing to get the oil before it goes back to the tank. This is the exact opposite of an automotive oil circuit where the oil gets filtered just before it goes to the main bearings.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Interesting theory. And it would be totally plausible except in the Big Twin oil circuit, the filter is the LAST thing to get the oil before it goes back to the tank. This is the exact opposite of an automotive oil circuit where the oil gets filtered just before it goes to the main bearings.

In theory the placement of the filter in the circuit shouldn't really matter, should it? I mean, if the filter does its job, then in the case of the H-D design the oil tank itself will have the filtered oil. From there it goes -- filtered -- to the main bearings.

Were the filter the first thing then presumably the oil in the tank would be unfiltered. It would get filtered just before going to the main bearings.

In either case, main bearings receive filtered oil?

Originally Posted By: TucsonDon
Originally Posted By: G-MAN

In theory the placement of the filter in the circuit shouldn't really matter, should it? I mean, if the filter does its job, then in the case of the H-D design the oil tank itself will have the filtered oil. From there it goes -- filtered -- to the main bearings.

Were the filter the first thing then presumably the oil in the tank would be unfiltered. It would get filtered just before going to the main bearings.

In either case, main bearings receive filtered oil?

But if memory serves me correctly, the cams are the FIRST thing to get the oil, which means any shedding from the cam tensioners goes through the engine before it gets filtered out.

Also, remember that except for the plain cam bearings used on the TC96, NONE of the bearings inside a Harley v-twin (not counting the V-Rod) use hydrodynamic wedge lubrication. They are roller bearings, and as such, are virtually impervious to microscopic debris in the oil. Remember, this engine design originally started with a total loss oil system where the oil didn't even recirculate. When an oil pump and recirculation was first incorporated, no oil filter of any kind was part of the set up. That came decades later.

But anyway, the whole 5 micron filter thing is all marketing. Harley does not, in fact, spec a 5 micron nominal filter for the TC engines. I've verified that through Champion, the maker of the Harley filters for the TC engines. What Harley does specify for the TC is an ADBV. That is the real distinguishing feature of the TC filters vs the filters for the EVO engines.

Originally Posted By: tmf2

You are correct. I will never understand Harley Davidson.

To me, they are a noisy, overly expensive compilation of glitzy chromed parts mounted on a heavy chassis around an anachronism of an engine whose manufacturer is trying to convince the world that it's the only "real" motorcycle. Other than look good, they generally do nothing really well except empty bank accounts.

I'll buy some of your argument but I still won't buy a Harley. Even at available bargain basement prices.

Having an acute and clear understanding of what motorcycles are and should be, Harleys fall short in my assessment. Add the 'Village People' regalia and antics of far too many Harley owners to the equation and the picture is complete.

Enjoy your riding. I just got back from an 80 mile back roads ride on my '74 RD350. Most fun you can have with your clothes on.
n

80 mile ride, WOW and you slam G_Man for his mileage. My wife and I got back from a small putt 350 miles. 80 miles is laughable and we ride those HDs you so dislike at least we ride our bikes. I get a big kick of the anti HD crowd all worried about how a Harley rider washes his/her bike or not or how some HD riders dress or how they look. Hey do what you want wear ride and wash and chrome as you please I don't give a [censored] about your insignificant opinion. Ride the bike of your choice and enjoy yourself and this Harley bashing just comes across as some veiled juvenile Harley Davidson envy.

I agree. Eighty miles is just an afternoon toot. I just got back from a 1000 mile ride on the Valkyrie through Wisconsin & Minnesota.

With Harleys going as cheap as popcorn, how could anyone possibly have HD envy? If I had even the slightest inclination to own one, I could have a garage full of them by noon tomorrow. No thanks.

Have to go now. I think I have a mosquito carcass on the chrome to scrub off.

Seriously with your obvious disdain for Harley riders and their motorcycles it is beyond all logic as to your participation in this thread although I find your sweeping generalizations’ quite amusing. Try not to get your fishing lines tangled.

"Seriously with your obvious disdain for Harley riders and their motorcycles it is beyond all logic as to your participation in this thread although I find your sweeping generalizations’ quite amusing. Try not to get your fishing lines tangled."

Harleys are at best a mediocre motorcycle. When new, they are sold at premium prices which, in the opinion of many, do not reflect the true value of the machine. Like paying caviar prices for a pork chop. What other manufacturer will sell a "Special Edition" bike for an additional $5000.00 yet provide nothing more than a bit more tinsel and a $300.00 pain job? Come on now!

Far too many Harley owners are cult participants living a fantasy created and fueled by the product manufacturer. Said participants often behave in a bizarre and socially unacceptable manner, which in the view of many mainstream motorcyclist is an embarrassment.

If that's generalizing, so be it. Fact is that generalized or not, it's true. I sympathize for the regular Joe Harley owner who has to carry the stigma of the cultist simply for owing a Harley.

Last edited:
boraticus has been openly provocative for sure ... but he does have a point. A decade or more ago Harley's popularity transformed them from a motoring icon to another mass-marketed, mass-produced product with a premium price tag. In affluent North America, middle-aged men with enough money to buy a used compact car could finally get something to make them feel young, cool, etc ...

The end result is that there are a LOT of Harleys out there. And like any grown-up toy, people buy them then fail to get enough use from them and after a while they are put up for sale. That's great for people looking for bargains ... but poor if you are into image and exclusivity.

Does Harley still make the resale guarantee they used to? in this recession, such a policy could really hurt them ... if not put them under. I wouldn't make that kind of offer regardless WHAT product I sold.

It's not just Harleys but many brands of motorcycles, boats, personal watercraft, snowmobiles, etc ... are cheap right now.

I've been riding Harleys for a long time. I still have my first one, an 84 Ironhead Sportster in immaculate condition. I think its probably the only bike of its age that has never been opened up (the engine that is) and doesn't leak a drop of oil to this day. This bike was built when Harley was taken back from AMF and the real guys took over and turned the company around. A success story on wallstreet and bikers alike. Then the [censored] started - Harley and it's dealers abandoned the very core bikers that stuck by HD thru the bad years and to the good. Heck I cannot buy ANYTHING from Harley to fit that old Sportster unless its an oil filter. The do not make accessories for it anymore. Same with other bikes., Heck if you've got a bike much older than the mid 90's you SOL. I'm lucky I chromed that bike out in the 80's because all that stuff is hard to come by now except from the aftermarket.

I drive a Softail Twin Cam 88 now and my wife has Lowrider 88 and while these bikes are very well built and so nice and smooth I still regret Harley's ditching the real bikers for the wannabees....all about the dollar! They can sell bikes for 40k to these posers and forget the hard working man/woman who supported them - they were priced out of the game. RANT OVER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back