New Battery: Costco or Wal-Mart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
They're both made by Johnson's Control. With Costco you have better warranty and it costs less. But you must be a member of Costco at the time you need replacement to get any services.

The Walmart batteries I've seen lately have been made by Exide.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
They're both made by Johnson's Control. With Costco you have better warranty and it costs less. But you must be a member of Costco at the time you need replacement to get any services.

The Walmart batteries I've seen lately have been made by Exide.

Yeah, the ones here are made by Exide. It appears to be a regional thing.

You couldn't pay me to put an Exide battery in anything.
37.gif

They might make great commercial/industrial use batteries but their consumer grade stuff is the pits!

I have never had one of their batteries last the entire warranty period let alone well past the warranty period like I have with Interstate. I had an Interstate last over 11 years!
shocked2.gif

The Exide in my Saab is going on three years now...it's the OE battery. The B2B warranty, which covers the battery, is 4 years.

I expect the Exide battery to die any day now.

Wal-Mart has been out of stock on the group 48 battery my Saab takes for months...and their prices aren't that great anymore.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
The Exide in my Saab is going on three years now...it's the OE battery. The B2B warranty, which covers the battery, is 4 years.

I expect the Exide battery to die any day now.

Wal-Mart has been out of stock on the group 48 battery my Saab takes for months...and their prices aren't that great anymore.
I suspect it's because you don't see the brutally cold winter weather we do. That's gotta have an effect I would think.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
37.gif

They might make great commercial/industrial use batteries but their consumer grade stuff is the pits!

No the HD batteries suck too. I have 3 in my truck. One leaks acid out around the negative post. My feeble attempt to slow the cable destruction with grease.

exide%20battcrap.jpg

Originally Posted By: StevieC
37.gif

I'm on my third Exide made NAPA battery in 22 months in my Silverado.

I have found Costco's warranty to be the most customer friendly of any store I have ever shopped. It is an important reason why I patronize Costco.

FWIW.....

The battery I replaced was an Exide. It was in the car when I got it back in 2001. It definitely wasn't new when I got the car either.

So I figure that battery was at least 8 years old, most likely at least 10 years old. The warranty sticker was intact. None of the punch-outs were missing. I didn't bother looking for a date code before turning it in.

The battery did start to sulphate a few years ago.

I would buy the cheapest one that had removable caps to add water every year, but I'm cheap like that. I'm just over 5 years on my cheapie Exide from Kragen. There's usually a coupon somewhere.

I just wish every battery was as reliable as the one in my 96 Crown Vic. I bought the car about 6 years ago, and it still has the same battery in it. It's an Exide, and I believe it was installed in 2002, but the date tag is unreadable now..

The Exide in my Saab is not like the ones you'll find for sale in North America. It is very obviously a different design, made in a different plant, with a different case, handles, etc.

Despite that, the Saab 93 forum is full of reports of premature battery failure...although mine has just turned 3 years old and still passes a CCA/load test.

I did a capacity test on it using an inverter and a Dell PC (basically I timed how long the Dell PC ran before the inverter shut off due to low battery). The Dell ran for half the time that it should have given the 70 amp-hour capacity of the battery and the measured current draw of the inverter.

I should note that I did a similar test with an 85 amp-hour deep cycle marine battery, and that one failed the test too(running the Dell for half as long as it should have), but still passed a CCA/load test (Midtronics Incharge tester). I returned the deep cycle battery back to Costco and the replacement powered the Dell for exactly as long as I calculated that it should. So, based on my experience, it's very possible for a battery with capacity loss to pass a CCA/load test..and my Exide battery has about half the capacity in amp-hours that it should.

Still, it starts the engine every time, and passes load tests. As soon as it no longer does, assuming it fails before the end of the B2B warranty, I'll get the dealer to replace it under the B2B warranty.

If not, I'll likely get an Advance Auto Autocraft battery, seeing as how neither WalMart nor Costco stock group 48 batteries anymore. (I'd get a Costco if they did, but they don't).

Originally Posted By: brianl703
So, based on my experience, it's very possible for a battery with capacity loss to pass a CCA/load test..and my Exide battery has about half the capacity in amp-hours that it should

Yup,my experience has been the same. We have a truck at work with a power tailgate that draws 120 amps. The truck has two size 31 batteries. I use SLI batteries because the deep cycle ones are expensive. The batteries get cycled a lot by the tailgate and the batteries only last two years. These 110 AHr batteries are down to about 20 AHr each after two years and they have a brown growth on the plates. Yet my Midtronics PBT200 tester passes these batteries with flying colours!

The conductance testers are useful for quick checks but they do give false positives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back