Question for Canadian BITOGer's

Status
Not open for further replies.
A local independant tire guy told me a story the other day. I was curious if some of you Canucks
grin2.gif
or Capri Racer could confirm/deny for me.

His contention was that availability/price of winter tires was affected last winter by either a new law or more stringent enforcement of existing laws(in Canada) requiring winter tires on any non four wheel drive vehicle. He went on to state that a similar law is pending in MN, and he expects similar laws to become standard fare in snow belt states.

My first reaction was that it seemed like a line of [censored], and I would expect a serious push back on this type of legislation here in the states. His response was that it is being pushed by insurance co's.

Anything at all to it??

Last edited:
Quebec, for sure, has a law that all passengers cars must has full snow tires on them from something like November 15th to March.

It causes great headaches for Ontario tire shops, b/c TONS of new customers come over from Quebec looking for winter tires, and b/c they have to have them, get very angry when they can't, demand preferential service...etc...

Winter tires from September on get very scarce, and there are NO sales - they all sell out!

It's true, Quebec made it mandatory to have snow tires last winter. I don't think 4wd cars are exempt either. There were some shortages of tires in some sizes atleast.
I think its a good idea personally, since getting snow tires(they aren't mandatory here) on our cars I really like the extra traction.
I'd be interested to hear if many drivers were too confident in their snow tires in quebec, as they work amazing on some snow conditions but not that great on glare ice...

Snow tires in winter should be mandated.

They should also have to safety cars three years after new, every second year up to year nine, then annually there forward to get a plate.

Too much garbage on the highways.

Quebec *EXEMPTS* LT tires.

Whats the good of having a snow tire law if you end up exempting most trucks, and virtually every fleet truck and van? I was hoping for the law to come to Ontario so I can guarantee good winter threads for my work van, but if they follow quebec's LT tire exemption, its useless to me--I run snows on my personal vehicles anyway.

Alex.
A day of rants

I put Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice tires on my g/f's Grand Prix and it handles really good in the snow. I put Cooper Discoverer tires on my pick-up even though its a 4x4 and what a difference it made over all-seasons. I agree, snow tires should be mandatory here in Ontario as well, too many people driving around in the winter time with almost bald all-season tires.

winter tires on my blazer zr2 best thing i ever did traction and comming to a full stop is a charm now ..[first year with winter tires on my 4 x4 ..i live in QUEBEC and i am glad that i UPGRADED for the winter..yes the law is passed and if u get caught without winter tires it will cost u $250

What's Canada's definition of a "snow tire"? Some "non-winter" tires today (especially for light trucks) bear the snowflake symbol. The BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO and a number of Goodyear Fortera and Wrangler models are good examples of that.

I firmly believe in snow tires but this is asinine.

I keep a couple vehicles including a beater truck/van for dump runs that only occur during nice weather... dry roads, etc. It is nice to not be burning up pricey snow treads all the time or switch tires on a vehicle that sees 1500 miles per year.

If this idea spreads I bet cheap steel rims will also be in short supply.

I can tell you that BC has no such law. I doubt it would get far, we seldom have more than one week of snow all year, at least here in Vancouver.

Though this past winter was fairly heavy on snow and I understand that tire shops were going nuts with all the orders for winter tires.

It is my understanding that this year was the first year of Quebec's new law requiring winter tires on all vehicles during the winter months. I don't remember the exact timeframe they've declared the requirement to be in effect.

Their definition of a winter tire is one that has the snowflake symbol - or there has to be a letter from the tire manufacturer indicating that the tire would meet the requirements for the snowflake symbol. Many all terrain large passenger car tires and LT tires - the type suitable for SUV's and pickups - do not routinely test for complaince with the snowflake symbol, but would pass the test if tested.

There is talk about legislation requiring winter tire in other loacles - other Canadian provinces and northern states in the US - but right now that is talk.

Plus there is talk of an enhanced test - beyind the snowflake - to eliminate all terrian tires from qualifying. However, this is not likely to happen as many all terrain tires get very good snow traction.

The push for this is safety. It is felt that many accidents in winter months are caused by vehicles with inadequate traction in snowy conditions. It is felt that operating a vehicle with inadequate tires is something that should not be tolerated - and to make it quick and easy for the police to identify which tires are in adequate, the snowflake symbol has been adopted as the standard.

How you feel about this type of regulation depends on whether you feel that the vehicles driving around you ought to be reasonably safe, or feel that this is better left up to the individual - who would suffer the consequences of an accident caused by inadequate tires.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Many all terrain large passenger car tires and LT tires - the type suitable for SUV's and pickups - do not routinely test for complaince with the snowflake symbol, but would pass the test if tested.

With new laws like this requiring the use of such tires in certain months, I'll bet they'll START testing their tires, and marketing every last tire that will pass the test as one "certified for use year-round in Canada".

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Plus there is talk of an enhanced test - beyind the snowflake - to eliminate all terrian tires from qualifying. However, this is not likely to happen as many all terrain tires get very good snow traction.

We had the BFG KOs on an '88 Chief in the snow and you could NOT make the tires slip when braking. That truck didn't have ABS, but you could stand on the pedal and it'd just haul to a stop. It was pretty impressive.

Thanks for the replies - very interesting. I can scarcely imagine the crush on tire dealers in the states if similar legislation were implemented without adequate lead time.

I'm personally a believer - I've run two sets of wheels and tires for about 10 years now - and don't plan on changing.

Clearly - safety would be enhanced, but I'd bet the debate on legislating them would be hot and heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back